Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Would anyone have detailed pics of a Volvo 240 cage?

Posted by bean 
bean
Rabin Rutten-James
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None

Would anyone have detailed pics of a Volvo 240 cage?
June 16, 2007 01:59AM
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if I should write up an intro - or just jump right in... (I figure I'll jump in since I didn't find any other intros...)

I'm researching cage designs for my Peugeot 505 Turbo and I figured that since it's so similar to a Volvo 240 in many respects - copying a design and modifying it for use in the 505 seemed like the best option. (Or a good place to start anyway)

There's a guy that's nearby that does full cages for basically cost - but I'm not sure if he's done a CARS legal cage - so I want to make sure I have lots of info for him to see what I want done. He mostly does cars to ice race specs - whatever that is, but the work he does do is fantastic. He would likely figure it out without a problem - but having lots of info/ideas is never a bad thing.

Thanks!

Rabin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2007 04:23PM by bean.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Ted Andkilde
Ted Andkilde
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1968 Mini

Re: Would anyone have detailed pics of a Volvo 240 cage?
June 16, 2007 03:32PM
The FIA cage guidelines, and the CARS rules are available online -- I'd start there and then get in touch with your local scrutineer to get the details worked out before you start cutting.

The rules have changed over the last couple of years so going off an existing car will likely get you in hot water.

FWIW, the main cage elements need to be 1.75" x 0.95" DOM or CDS (main hoop, laterals and at least one of the recommended multiple door bars). You need an X in the main hoop and two reinforcing bars in the "ceiling" (can be an X or V).

Extra bits can be 1.5" x 0.95" DOM or CDS.

Lots of extra rules regarding feet, seatbelt mountings and gussets.

It's not rocket surgery but there are many, poorly elucidated, rules...

Or, you can ignore (many of) the rules if you opt for a certified FIA cage kit -- but you must install it exactly as designed, no additions, no deletions or modifications.

Cheers, Ted

Pure mathematics is the enemy of every truly creative man -- Sir Alec
bean
Rabin Rutten-James
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None

June 16, 2007 10:17PM
I've seen many different styles of cages - and each one met the rules... So I was curious to see a particular style that was favored for the 240...

The cage in the car I crew cheif'd on was an ex-Subaru Canada car, and the cage was quite a bit different that the other Legacy's that I looked at...

Granted that was over 6 years ago now! (holy crap time flies...)

I haven't gone over the recent rule changes - but usually there's more than one way to meet the criteria - I just want to make sure I use the best, most effective cage design as well.

Best bet for now is to get the rules down pat though I guess - so thanks!

Rabin
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 18, 2007 09:08AM
Hey Rabin.
Here's a copy of the FIA regs.
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net/Build/FIARegs.doc

Look to image 253-3. Build those in 1.75 X 0.095 DOM seamless tubing.

A main hoop X, as in 253-7 is now required. 1.5 X 0.095

For door bars I do 253-8 and 253-9, but I like side protection and ignore thoughts of weight when it comes to cage. One of these bars must be in 1.75 X 0.095. I do 253-8 in 1.75 and the others in 1.5

For the roof, we've done all three. With 253-12, you have to add gussets, which is just more work. I did 253-13 in my car but we did 253-14 more recently and everything in the future we will do also. Mostly so we can do 253-22 in the rear, which is only an option if you have 253-14.

For in the rear, our preferred setup is 253-22, 253-17, and 253-18. If you can't do 22, do 20 or 21.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login