Posted by alkun 
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

6 point belts
September 21, 2013 11:53PM
how does one route the crotch belts on a 6 point?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: 6 point belts
September 22, 2013 12:21AM
http://www.schroth.com/installation-instructions/en/03_anchorage_locations_and_geometries.htm

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/pdf/Seat_Belt_Mounting.pdf

And SFI (of course they are just thieves and evil so you wouldn't want to listen to them at all...)
http://www.sfifoundation.com/SeatbeltGuide06-05-12.pdf

Basically they down and under your legs.
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

September 22, 2013 01:01PM
so if the seat just has one hole, both crotch belts on a 6-point harness go through there?
shiza
Dan Norkus
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

September 22, 2013 04:56PM
Yes
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

September 22, 2013 08:01PM
well ok then. Thanks!
wildert
Brian Klausen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

September 28, 2013 12:57AM
It really bugs me that the vendors can't seem to agree on how to mount the crotch strap.
Our national rule book says maximum 20 degrees towards the back (like the first link), while others require them to be more towards the back.

I got hit up by a scrutineer by this last weekend. I get that he's just going by the rules, but somehow I trust the vendor more. But when the vendors can't agree, then who do you trust?

Brgrds
Brian

heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 28, 2013 10:53AM
Does your rule book say anything about mounting to manufatures directions and keeping the instructions with the car?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 28, 2013 11:14AM
My favorite belt rule is where Rally America says it must be between 0-10 degrees on the shoulder belts. FIA and others say 0-10 degrees recommended, no more than 45 degrees allowed. Had to redo first cage harness bar thanks to that or more accurately, thanks to my not catching that up to 45 degrees didn't make it into the rule book. Now I have to send cars away with cages not complete and have them come back someday when a seat is installed to build a harness bar.

Grant Hughes
starion887
starion887
Super Moderator

September 29, 2013 01:39PM
NoCoast
My favorite belt rule is where Rally America says it must be between 0-10 degrees on the shoulder belts. FIA and others say 0-10 degrees recommended, no more than 45 degrees allowed. Had to redo first cage harness bar thanks to that or more accurately, thanks to my not catching that up to 45 degrees didn't make it into the rule book. Now I have to send cars away with cages not complete and have them come back someday when a seat is installed to build a harness bar.
I tell folks that the first step in the cage is to determine the actual location of the driver's seat at least, and preferrably both. So many things flow from that: harness bar, main hoop location (for tall people especially) which can change the mount design if the main hoop has to move back, roof bracing arrangement, and side bar design are examples. Why not have them install the seat(s) and work around that?
starion887
starion887
Super Moderator

September 29, 2013 01:43PM
So what happened to the idea of looping the 2 anti-sub belts of the 6-pt harness back through the lap belt holes? That alwasy seemd odd to me (like how could it really work as an anti-sub belt?), but seems like that thinking floated out there for a while...
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 29, 2013 02:41PM
starion887
So what happened to the idea of looping the 2 anti-sub belts of the 6-pt harness back through the lap belt holes? That alwasy seemd odd to me (like how could it really work as an anti-sub belt?), but seems like that thinking floated out there for a while...

That was recommended method in a few different sets of belts that I've encountered.

Grant Hughes
starion887
starion887
Super Moderator

September 29, 2013 05:39PM
NoCoast
starion887

That was recommended method in a few different sets of belts that I've encountered.
Here is the question I have had with it: The idea is to use the 5th/6th belts as anti-sub belts, right? Well if they run under your rear-end, then they are flat (horizontal) for some distance. Which means that they could move upwards if you have a soft rear-end or you move up. I understand that your torso's forward movement will push you down but is it enough to prevent the upward motion on the 5th and 6th betls? Or is the idea just to contain you and the lap belt together? I guess I can see that it would keep you from going under the lap belt.

I suppose if you do not have the hole in the base of the seat for these belts, it is better than nothing. But it sure seems like it would be painful.....
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 30, 2013 09:13AM
That high pitched squeal under braking isn't always the brake pads...might be the sub straps?
DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

September 30, 2013 02:12PM
starion887
Here is the question I have had with it: The idea is to use the 5th/6th belts as anti-sub belts, right? Well if they run under your rear-end, then they are flat (horizontal) for some distance. Which means that they could move upwards if you have a soft rear-end or you move up. I understand that your torso's forward movement will push you down but is it enough to prevent the upward motion on the 5th and 6th betls? Or is the idea just to contain you and the lap belt together? I guess I can see that it would keep you from going under the lap belt.

7-point seat belts...that'll save rally! winking smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 30, 2013 02:29PM
DaveK
starion887

7-point seat belts...that'll save rally! winking smiley

And duct-tape, and expanding building foam.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login