Advanced

Build vs Buy - the untold stories...

Posted by NoCoast 
ryolse
Ryan Sealey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
'97 Subaru Impreza

Re: Build vs Buy - the untold stories...
September 30, 2013 02:01PM
With my Co-Driver working for a low paying government building, I think I probably make more than him... Plus he's too busy paying for broken vehicles and saving for a house. Plus he's stuck getting thrown around in the car all day, so it's really only me who's enjoying it.

After years of beating the crap out of the car I’m confident the car/engine is reliable with the only issues having been typical sensors on a 230k mileage car. I think I'm going to buy a 4.44 transmission (and rear) in the next month as long as it doesn’t get bought by someone else first. And the reason I want the 4.44 is because I'm not enjoying bouncing off the Rev limiter at Hill Climbs only to then shift and find myself bogged down in the useless 2,500-3,000 RPM range. After that I’ll get ahead of the game try to put away $3k for Idaho next year. Followed by swapping to a Mid 2000s 2.5L NA motor.

I really wanted to do Idaho this year but as time came closer and closer I didn’t have enough saved in time.

R.Sealey
http://www.facebook.com/SealeySport
http://www.youtube.com/ryolse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 02:06PM by ryolse.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
MeCalledEvan
Evan Horner
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 Mazda RX7 GSL

September 30, 2013 02:12PM
ryolse

And that brings me to my biggest question. How does everyone else manage to do it? I’m asking this question very seriously too. So much that I’m willing to ask how people do it when I’ve been keeping expenses low on my $55-$65k yearly take home earnings.

If you want to see a Stage Rally from inside the car. Go the route of what 1 of the newer locals has been doing the last 2 years and become a CO-Driver for someone who somehow pulls money out of thin air. And when they aren't driving sell yourself to the next highest bidder. Then you won’t find yourself spending money on anything at an event. Trying to come up with a Rally that he hasn't chimed in on about having been there has become rather annoying.

Holy hell, that in take home earnings is considered low? And I thought I was doing well as a recent undergrad making in that range before getting bent over by the IRS.
Woah boy! Looks like I'm gonna have to spend a few more years out of college before I do anything from the drivers seat on stage.

I like the co-driving idea though... I'll start looking more into that for the time being as I nibble away at my elephant.

"The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and have so much more to learn." - Claude Rouelle, Optimum G lecture June, 2011
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 30, 2013 02:28PM
MConte05
ryolse
And that brings me to my biggest question. How does everyone else manage to do it? I’m asking this question very seriously too. So much that I’m willing to ask how people do it when I’ve been keeping expenses low on my $55-$65k yearly take home earnings.

It sounds like you just aren't that good at saving money honestly.... I take home the same amount, I own a home, have a $1000+ a month mortgage, a rally car that has done 5 events, with two more planned in the next 4 months, and I even got my dream car a few months ago (supercharged Lotus Elise) that I make payments on. No credit cards, no student loans.

I still manage to have money to do a few events a year. Realistically I could do four events a year. This year I did two since I was saving money for a week long honeymoon at an all-inclusive resort ($$$, but only get to honeymoon once! (hopefully)) as well as helping pay for my wedding that is next week. So this year I limited myself to the two local races which are a few hours away.

I got extremely lucky with my car, and got a logbooked car in decent shape for $1800 plus some WRX brakes from a kid who had no idea what he had out in Nashville, TN. I put maybe $1-2k into it with new safety gear and the misc stuff to do my first stage rally. Crashed it on the second to last stage, still had a blast. Spent $1k on a parts car, swapped engine and driveline, got some nice suspension, and went and did two events on that setup. Then got a nicer engine, better drivetrain, and now it's pretty well setup. I have put farrrr less than what some people are asking for a built OL car (which I think some prices are outrageous... but people are paying them smiling smiley ), and it's very well setup for a newbie. I feel like I am only at maybe 75% of the cars capability. Hoping to learn more over the next few events, then maybe step up and build my own OL killer car using the lessons I've learned from racing in this Legacy. Hopefully sell the legacy to someone else who can use it as their first stage rally car and get as much enjoyment out of it as I have.

I have footed most of the bills for the races, my best friend who is my co-driver will chip in for gas or hotel most of the time, but the entry fees, notes, hotel, fuel, etc. that lands mostly on me, I pay maybe... 80-90% of it. But that's what I expect for being a driver, everyone else is helping YOU to have fun, so I think it's insulting to expect them to pay for things.

re-engine. Plop it in when its all done and tuned on the bench..
Car down for 2 days.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

September 30, 2013 02:31PM
ryolse
After years of beating the crap out of the car I’m confident the car/engine is reliable with the only issues having been typical sensors on a 230k mileage car. I think I'm going to buy a 4.44 transmission (and rear) in the next month as long as it doesn’t get bought by someone else first. And the reason I want the 4.44 is because I'm not enjoying bouncing off the Rev limiter at Hill Climbs only to then shift and find myself bogged down in the useless 2,500-3,000 RPM range. After that I’ll get ahead of the game try to put away $3k for Idaho next year. Followed by swapping to a Mid 2000s 2.5L NA motor.

Herein is a problem. You complain about not having enough to get on stage, but you want to go and drop an entire events worth of money on a transmission because you THINK you'll need it?

My first 4 events I was on a turbo 3.7. It sucked, but I was in the seat racing, but it didn't for ONE second take away from my enjoyment. Still had an ear-to-ear grin.

I then switched to a 4.11 I got for free from a friend for helping part out his car. Did it help with the stage times? Tremendously. Could I use a 4.44? Defintily. I'd love to get a 4.44. But right now, I'd rather do another event or two.

I think this has been beaten to death over and over, but you DON'T need $2-3k suspension to go race, you DON'T need a $1k transmission to go race, you DON'T need a built and tuned engine to go race. 90% chance you'll be slow as hell the first few times out. There are very very very few people who spend a ton of money on their build and are fast out of the gate. You will be outdriven by the guy who has had 3 events under his belt on a stock engine and nearly stock suspension, just because he has 3 more events than you. Experience is what will bring speed. And from what I see, about 90% of the first timers absolutely do not need a built up car with how slow they are going.

Upgrade as you upgrade your driving skills. I wish more people could see that.
ryolse
Ryan Sealey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
'97 Subaru Impreza

September 30, 2013 02:36PM
I actually screwed my yearly income. Originally I was going to do the math to see what it is as take home, but hit send with what it is before taxes and 401k without fixing it.

And just to throw my expenses out in the spot light more. Here's what every expense this last month breaks out to being, each was rounded up to the nearest dollar.

Food (which also bleeds over to "entertainment" if you consider it as being part of taking the lady out to dinner once a weekend) $302
Entertainment $301
Living (rent and car insurance) $754
Fuel for my daily driven (and paid off car) $80
Credit Card debt payment $71
And lastly Car (mostly the "race" car) $1,666

This was an unusual month for the car expenses because of this weekend’s hill climb, where I bought a few tools for making some stuff easier to work on. 1 set of Rocket Rally Tires (picked up so there was no shipping), my D.D. car needed a couple new Power Steering parts. Plus towing fuel, hotel, food for 2, and the entry fee for the hill climb it's self. It also includes fuel for last months RallyCross and entry fee.

It was also an unusual month for “Entertainment” expenses because my Girl Friend and I went to 2 Baseball games plus a bar 2 different nights, which we never do.

MConte05
Herein is a problem. You complain about not having enough to get on stage, but you want to go and drop an entire events worth of money on a transmission because you THINK you'll need it?
And for the record, it was a $1k transmission when it went for sale in April and is now at $650 locally.

R.Sealey

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 02:57PM by ryolse.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

September 30, 2013 03:02PM
MConte05

This is 100% true for rally, but not so much for hillclimb.

Having just completed my first gravel rally, I'm sold on the fact that power isn't really needed. The 328 motor in the coupe was just fine, it was me and trust in the notes that was the limiting factor.

However, looking at hillclimbs (and what Ryan is doing for most of his seat time because they're cheap and close), I find that the M3 motor in my Compact doesn't have enough oomph to scare me. I feel for the guy since he has less HP and more drivetrain losses.

Don't forget Ryan that when you go to a rally event that's at sea level, you're going to pickup 15% more power so that will help with the lack of fancypants transmission. Therein lies the issue...to build for rally or hillclimb?

Dave
ryolse
Ryan Sealey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
'97 Subaru Impreza

September 30, 2013 03:16PM
Thanks for the added input help Dave.

DaveK
Therein lies the issue...to build for rally or hillclimb?

My end goal is to build for seat time in the car, regardless what kind of event it is. That doesn’t include the last month of driving the damn thing around while the "Daily Driven" car is out of commission. Sure, you can build/buy a car for every type of event instead of just 1. But then you are building/buying a car for every type of event. And while I was thinking of building a Turbo Motor for Hill Climbs and RX, I went back to my original motor swap plan of NA. Which is mainly for the 1 Stage Rally event I might get to go to a year. Which is simple proof that I'm not a "power hungry" maniac n00b thinking power is the only thing needed for Rally, because I will still get my butt kicked during the 4-5 Hill Climbs and 12 RX events a year to those with tons more power.

The only thing that's different with the car between RX mode and Hill Climb mode is spending an hour between the 2 to swap the coilovers with struts to make it useable for RX and comfortable Hill Climbs. And I don’t mean comfort for the occupants, but the occupants not being terrified of it bouncing or swaying off the road because it’s too loose.

R.Sealey

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 03:23PM by ryolse.
HiTempguy
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

September 30, 2013 04:13PM
My 2 cents:

Most don't have the wherewithal/planning capabilities/long term goal setting to build a car, myself included.

This is an issue because if you are building a car on a budget, it is UNLIKELY you will have that budget set aside from the get go with the money in hand.

So you plunk down $500 at a time. A year goes by, and you've lost interest.

Also, costs go up astronomically when you run into a situation (and have budgeted) that you ARE able to do something and end up not being able to do it. Also also, project creep is MUCH easier when you are given the option to do stuff.

And finally, hitting the stages in a car (as long as it finishes) and getting seat time is much more valuable than the time spent building a car, which can reach into the thousands of hours amounts of time. Even with an already built car, if you want it to be able to finish a rally, there is some serious prep-work that needs to be put in after buying one (unless you just dropped $30+k, but even then).
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

September 30, 2013 04:30PM
buy a driver and build from there.
rally-x and auto-x as you go

its down for a a couple weeks getting a cage

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
starion887
starion887
Ultra Moderator

September 30, 2013 05:00PM
MeCalledEvan
Doivi Clarkinen
reecers
yea but aren't they babying the car and just trying to survive? That is what I don't understand. Why would you want a car built with gum and ductape and not even begin to push the limits. This is coming from the couch potato I am lol, but I watch as many North american rally vids as I can find.

Trust me, 20-30 years ago most of the cars, at least at the club level, were built with gum and duct tape and we were not babying them. (Right, Gene?) Back then coilovers were not the norm but an extreme exception. A hot suspension was some GAB struts and maybe some stiffer springs. I had some nice DeCarbon rally shocks that JV got me and some Volvo wagon springs on my Opel Manta. That was actually fancier than a lot of the cars. Drum rear brakes, a welded diff and Sears retread snow tires and we drove the piss out of it. I'm sure I had less than $1500 in my first rally car that I built from scratch when I first hit the stages and that includes paying somebody else (a whopping $350) to build the rollcage. Car prep has elevated exponentially over the years.

But other than the increased cost of roll cage and safety equipment, is there any reason to not start out in rally by doing something like this?
No reason that I can think of......
DaveK
Dave Kern
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

September 30, 2013 05:14PM
HiTempguy
My 2 cents:

Most don't have the wherewithal/planning capabilities/long term goal setting to build a car, myself included.

This is an issue because if you are building a car on a budget, it is UNLIKELY you will have that budget set aside from the get go with the money in hand.

So you plunk down $500 at a time. A year goes by, and you've lost interest.

Also, costs go up astronomically when you run into a situation (and have budgeted) that you ARE able to do something and end up not being able to do it. Also also, project creep is MUCH easier when you are given the option to do stuff.

And finally, hitting the stages in a car (as long as it finishes) and getting seat time is much more valuable than the time spent building a car, which can reach into the thousands of hours amounts of time. Even with an already built car, if you want it to be able to finish a rally, there is some serious prep-work that needs to be put in after buying one (unless you just dropped $30+k, but even then).

Some great points in here. I've had a few people bug me about costs of building a car and I've been suggesting that they sit down and put together a budget for the car build. Most think that's a waste of time...my suspicion is that those are the guys that won't be rallying anymore in 2 or 3 years once they've blown up the budget and maxed out the credit cards.

I did a ton of research and online browsing before digging into my Compact build. Got it out to a hillclimb a bit over budget, but mainly due to the blown motor. Then I started doing stupid stuff like the CM3C body kit instead of getting out to an actual rally. Add in a second blown motor and now its going to be a Group 5 car...

...do as I say, not as I do. LOL

ryolse
And for the record, it was a $1k transmission when it went for sale in April and is now at $650 locally.

Wait....my navvie has used this reasoning in regards to shoe purchases before...it was on sale, I HAD to buy it! winking smiley

Dave
p.s. at least I finally made it back out to a rally this year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 05:17PM by DaveK.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 30, 2013 05:18PM
starion887
MeCalledEvan
But other than the increased cost of roll cage and safety equipment, is there any reason to not start out in rally by doing something like this?
No reason that I can think of......

What's often stated now is, "But if you're going to tow that far and spend all that money don't you want to make sure that you finish and make sure that you can WIN!"

I got sucked into a mindset of, if I'm going to build something, I want to build something that can win and if I'm not winning it's because of me, not the car. Of course, this led to a five year build followed by one rally and a few hill climbs and test days then I wanted to do more rallying but the 25 year old wiring was scary and wanted to make sure if I was going to tow across the country I wanted the car reliable and voila, next thing you know the car has sat for four years. Then Dave moved into the shop and spread out and there's not any room to work anymore. smiling smiley
My car could go together in a day or two of work once I get an engine together. I even have a complete unassembled long block of unknown quality that I could drop into it and try to make run. But at this point, I can't afford a head gasket (have two sitting on the shelf) or new head bolts (do we really have to replace those?) and blah blah blah excuses.

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

September 30, 2013 05:25PM
NoCoast
Then Dave moved into the shop and spread out and there's not any room to work anymore. smiling smiley

Har har har...if that damn lake would dry up, we could push some stuff out. I think Mitch would yell at us if we got mud on his gravel tires.

NoCoast
But at this point, I can't afford a head gasket (have two sitting on the shelf) or new head bolts (do we really have to replace those?) and blah blah blah excuses.

Tell you what, instead of paying you in cash when you're done with the cage in Allison's car, I'll get you a head gasket and head bolts...and some cash. winking smiley

Dave
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

September 30, 2013 06:20PM
seat time in slow car is better than no seat time at all

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 30, 2013 06:32PM
DaveK

Tell you what, instead of paying you in cash when you're done with the cage in Allison's car, I'll get you a head gasket and head bolts...and some cash. winking smiley

Dave

FEL-PRO Part # 8993PT1 PermaTorque® One of our most popular parts
Head bolts not incl.; Head bolt replacement recommended; PermaTorque®

Part Image
$9.88
VICTOR REINZ Part # 4029 {Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Material: VR2000

Part Image
$10.62
VICTOR REINZ Part # 4029SG {#ZZM010271B} Material: Nitroseal

Part Image
$17.54

1988 FORD THUNDERBIRD 2.3L 140cid L4 Turbocharged SOHC : Engine : Cylinder Head Bolt Price
FEL-PRO Part # ES72137
Replacement recommended

Part Image
$22.89

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login