Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

Re: Naturally aspirated Ford 2.3L
October 02, 2013 02:20PM
i have rebuilt more than one afb
its more like a motorcycle carb in some respects

the holley is super easy for sure

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
RnJ
Ryan Johnson
Godlike Moderator

RnJ
October 02, 2013 11:11PM
b00sted
Rallymech
You cannot tune an engine over the phone or by reading a book.

The hell you can't.

You guys make carbs sound so terrible... They're easy, as long as you stay away from that Quadrajet/Carter AFB junk. A 2/4 barrel carb based off of the Holley double-pumer design is very easy to tune and will run great. You'll need a jet kit, and you'll want to consult with a good carb builder/tuner(Patrick at ProSystems is one of the best) to figure out a good starting point for accellerator pump(s), cam(s), boosters, etc. We've bought a few ProSystems carbs that came out of the box and ran nearly perfect on the engine dyno(Perfect a/f ratios, awesome power, etc) on 800+hp naturally-aspirated motors.

Call a reputable carb builder, tell them what you plan on doing(including engine/cam specs, etc), and let them tell you what you need. It'll basically be a GOOD metering block, and changing a few things on the main-body, bowl, etc.

I sent Patrick my engine specs. He built me a methonal carb that I've run for three years that's spot on and I haven't touched it.

There's no reason a carb wouldn't work on a rally car. Upper level stock cars corner faster than any rally car on dirt and don't have problems. The only reason not to run one would be upside down oops scenario with fuel draining out of it and igniting.

If you're looking for the simplest drivetrain, it would be hard to beat a N/A carbed setup with a HEI dizzy.
There might be 10 wires on my late model and most would be for gauges.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 03, 2013 01:08AM
You boys are overlooking the big thing with production based 4 cylinder junk and thats intake runner volume is nearly always the choke point or limiting factor. Runners are made small so there's going to be good port velocity on the stock set up. Good runner velocity means good low pressure thru the carb and that means it will pick up fuel nicely..
Three motors that I know the best guys for rally motors is Saab, Volvo and VW, and in all three if you retain OEM intake manifold---as the old Group A rules mandated, you won't see more than about 175 bhp no matter what you do...The runners are built in restrictors just like the gawddam junk on the turbo inlets..

With regard rally and rally motor power its easier to name the few motors that have runners intended to pass air enough for reasonable power, and all were built as "homologation specials"
Nissan Sentra SER 2.0 16v (86 x 86)
Opel XE 2.0 16v (86 x 86)
Ford RS2000 16v (also 86 x 86)
Various Peugeot and Renault 2.0 16vs XU9 (1900) and XU10 at 2.0 (86 x 86)
Some Citroen motors (a lot in incest in French engines).

Since Grant is always going on about he's way high--in altitude I think he means---he says he needs 300 bhp so that he has 100 at high altitude..or something..

So knowing the configuration of the disgusting spaghetti sized candelabra that passes for an intake manifold I'd be worried about anything other than 4 individual runners and throttles..in short ITB or DCOE carbs--at least 48s.

But as always what the fuck do I know...its not like I've built rally motors for 25 years...

Oh wait, I do. nevermind.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 03, 2013 02:24PM
john vanlandingham
Since Grant is always going on about he's way high--in altitude I think he means---he says he needs 300 bhp so that he has 100 at high altitude..or something..

No way! That's why I got the Volvo head, so I can have 500 hp! Think of the children!

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 03, 2013 02:26PM
john vanlandingham
So knowing the configuration of the disgusting spaghetti sized candelabra that passes for an intake manifold I'd be worried about anything other than 4 individual runners and throttles..in short ITB or DCOE carbs--at least 48s.

Grant - don't even think about stealing the ITBs off my new motor!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 03, 2013 07:08PM
NoCoast
john vanlandingham

No way! That's why I got the Volvo head, so I can have 500 hp! Think of the children!

At sea level. and have 78 left at 6000 ft. I see.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login