Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

E85
August 01, 2007 10:37AM
So after seeing Rhys Millen's Pontiac Sunfire, with something like 600 hp, that runs on E85, we started talking a bit about it and I started reading a bit about it. Some quick thoughts.
Stoich is around 9.7:1 vs. 14.7:1 in gasoline
Octane of E85 100-105

Benefits: Race gas octane level at 50 cents cheaper than the 85 octane fuel. Less heat in engine.

Disadvantages: Need pretty much new fuel system. No aluminum fittings or rails, larger injectors, fuel lines that can withstand, fuel pumps, etc. Must be using a stand alone ECU.

It's likely something I may try in the future. Considering I'm replacing most of the components anyhow over time.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

Re: E85
August 01, 2007 11:23AM
The Boullion brothers from downstate MI run e85 in their focus. They said they were getting something crazy like 220 at the wheels.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

August 01, 2007 01:46PM
http://www.automobilsport.com/fiesta-st-trophy-ford-bio-fuel-e85-world-rally-championship-bp-environmentally-positive-green-strategy-petrol-co2-efficient---24259.html

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 01, 2007 02:58PM
Something like 60% of the rally cars that competed in Sweden (not the WRC event, the country) last year ran E85. They have a Fiesta Flex Fuel cup series as well.

Grant Hughes
derek
Derek Bottles
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

August 01, 2007 03:51PM
I ran some numbers 3 years ago and found many reasons to use AGE85 in the rally car. AGE85 did not require changing the parts in the system as it was non as crosive.

I have not found a place where I can buy 55 Gal drums of the fuel how ever or I would us it in my plane as I happen to own one of the few models the FAA allows to run this fuel in today.

D

In the long run reality always wins.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

August 01, 2007 04:32PM
The Boullion brothers actually stopped using the fuel as it was not making as much power as 94 Octane gasoline.

The problem with E85 is the power density. My understanding is that compared to gasoline is will not make as much power as gasoline given the same motor settings. It does have a higher octane rating so you can crank up the compression or boost to compensate somewhat.

And like grant said it needs almost a completely new fuel system.
derek
Derek Bottles
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

August 02, 2007 09:19AM
A lower power density only requires more fuel to over come, it will make the same power if you diliver more of it, IE larger injectors and since air is the limiting factor in most race motors the lower amount of air required for E/AGE85 is a real gain. Just look at our firends in the top fuel dragsters.

In the long run reality always wins.
david amor
david amor
Infallible Moderator

August 02, 2007 10:52PM
What about the octane rating though? We tune our cars on 110, 112, 114 oct. Could we use E85 and just run alot more fuel? If so are we gonna be able to make it beetween fuel stops with a 60-80L tank?

Gone fishing
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

August 08, 2007 12:19PM
According to Wikipedia the octane rating is 105.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

So you could tune to that octane and just crank up the fuel. But like you said you would have to burn a lot of it and mpg might become an issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login