HiTempguy
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

Re: Let's talk batteries
November 04, 2013 09:46PM
MConte05
I don't think that 10 pounds of saved battery weight is what is holding you back... Mash the gas harder! smileys with beer

We should force people to watch this on a screen in a sensory deprivation chamber with no sleep until they succumb to this proper knowledge (even if they don't understand it, I'll take rote forced memorization versus understanding as long as they act the way I want them to spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )
Please Login or Register to post a reply
czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

November 05, 2013 06:21AM
RALLYRS
BillyElliot
In your case I would go for an Optima. Personally, I run Odyssey batteries, but the part that SUCKS is when your battery goes dead and your backup (you have a backup right?) is bad as well, you can just go to a local auto parts store and pick up another one.

In hindsight. I like the odyssey batteries, and my battery mount accepts two sizes of odyssey batteries. However, I would more like to make a better universal battery mount with some adapters that would accept a standard Optima battery in a pinch.

Hey Billy,are you running the small pc680 Odyssey lightweight like I have in my Focus pictured here..or something larger?

Grant's got a good point about limping home thing at night with a bad alt.
My cars not on stage yet, so lightweight works for me.

And I've had WAY better luck with Odyssey brand than Optima.

In my old Jeep grand Wagoneer 4x4 ,I used to run Optima red-tops-never tried the yellows.

Maybe the yellow's have better reliability,but I'd never buy another red-top.

If you do,never run one dead.
And don't bother trying to charge it-it's done....

Even then..getting a good or bad one with the optima was totally hit or miss.
Had one that went for 4 years or so, and several that didn't make it more than a few months.

I used to deal with the red-top warranty issues back when I worked at Four Wheel parts, and we got an ASSLOAD of them returned.

Odyssey brand has been great, and always has given me warning(gradually slower cranking on really cold mornings).

Of course they make larger one's than what I'm running as well.

Man you need to cover the postive terminal looks dangerous as hell. It's like 1/2" from being grounded. If you get in a wreck and something moves?
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

November 05, 2013 07:45AM
HiTempguy
MConte05
I don't think that 10 pounds of saved battery weight is what is holding you back... Mash the gas harder! smileys with beer

We should force people to watch this on a screen in a sensory deprivation chamber with no sleep until they succumb to this proper knowledge (even if they don't understand it, I'll take rote forced memorization versus understanding as long as they act the way I want them to spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

Need to get Duplessis back in a shitty old Golf. I vaguely remeber back then people pointing to him saying "see you don't need this fancy stuff, look what this guy does with what he has".

Though I would be curious to hear what his opinions are on his older golf vs the warmed up Fiestas running around. Granted I'm sure his R2 car is much much better. Did he ever sell that Golf?

*EDIT* On the battery side of things, I just run an AutoZone speciale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 07:46AM by MConte05.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

November 05, 2013 07:55AM
i really like lithium ion battery on the off road bikes, been thinking about one for the car but planning on a yellow or red top optima

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

November 05, 2013 10:48AM
RALLYRS
BillyElliot
In your case I would go for an Optima. Personally, I run Odyssey batteries, but the part that SUCKS is when your battery goes dead and your backup (you have a backup right?) is bad as well, you can just go to a local auto parts store and pick up another one.

In hindsight. I like the odyssey batteries, and my battery mount accepts two sizes of odyssey batteries. However, I would more like to make a better universal battery mount with some adapters that would accept a standard Optima battery in a pinch.

Hey Billy,are you running the small pc680 Odyssey lightweight like I have in my Focus pictured here..or something larger?

Grant's got a good point about limping home thing at night with a bad alt.
My cars not on stage yet, so lightweight works for me.

And I've had WAY better luck with Odyssey brand than Optima.

In my old Jeep grand Wagoneer 4x4 ,I used to run Optima red-tops-never tried the yellows.

Maybe the yellow's have better reliability,but I'd never buy another red-top.

If you do,never run one dead.
And don't bother trying to charge it-it's done....

Even then..getting a good or bad one with the optima was totally hit or miss.
Had one that went for 4 years or so, and several that didn't make it more than a few months.

I used to deal with the red-top warranty issues back when I worked at Four Wheel parts, and we got an ASSLOAD of them returned.

Odyssey brand has been great, and always has given me warning(gradually slower cranking on really cold mornings).

Of course they make larger one's than what I'm running as well.

I have a 680 in the Civic right now and my spare is a 925. The 925 is funky though. The battery started swelling, but still holds a charge fine. I read up and they do it from time to time but I was storing it on a shelf in my basement (although not on a tender). So not sure why it did it, but that's the reason it's on backup duty now.

I've drained both the Odyssey batteries to 0% before (all from accidentally flippling light relays and leaving the car parked for months) and charge the batteries back to 100% no problem, but you need a charger specific chargers to bring them back to life from 0%. Something about over amp/volting them to get the kick or something.

Either way, this is the charger I use:
http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/tmax-12a-1b/chargers?pp=25
NoCoast
Reliability > weight savings in rally cars.

Shit, just having to jump a small batteried car every time it sits for more than a day or two annoys the shit out of me.

I have no issues with my Odyssey 680 and leaving it sit for months. After finding a small power draw from a relay can kill any battery, I finally got to installing my battery cut off. But just a last weekend, I moved the car into the garage after leaving it in my driveway from Ojibwe. Flipped master power switch, car instantly started up. Same when I prepped for Ojibwe. I hadn't touched the car since 100AW and fired it up after it sat in my driveway for 5 months.
HiTempguy
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 05, 2013 11:30AM
MConte05

Need to get Duplessis back in a shitty old Golf. I vaguely remeber back then people pointing to him saying "see you don't need this fancy stuff, look what this guy does with what he has".

Though I would be curious to hear what his opinions are on his older golf vs the warmed up Fiestas running around. Granted I'm sure his R2 car is much much better. Did he ever sell that Golf?

Canadian Tire batteries come with 3 year free replacement, I buy two and bring the spare with me. If one dies, use the spare, return the other for free replacment!

You know what? I was just planning a trip out to the states to bring back 12 barrels of vp race fuel and now that we've had this discussion, after big white the sti is getting tuned for pump gas. race gas is retarded until I can consistantly finish (and podium) at events... race gas vs pump gas is NOT what will keep me from winning regionals out here. Thanks for that! smiling smiley
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

November 05, 2013 11:35AM
HiTempguy
MConte05

Canadian Tire batteries come with 3 year free replacement, I buy two and bring the spare with me. If one dies, use the spare, return the other for free replacment!

You know what? I was just planning a trip out to the states to bring back 12 barrels of vp race fuel and now that we've had this discussion, after big white the sti is getting tuned for pump gas. race gas is retarded until I can consistantly finish (and podium) at events... race gas vs pump gas is NOT what will keep me from winning regionals out here. Thanks for that! smiling smiley

Why I'm happy that my car runs on 93. Talking with the O'Neil guys hey were talking about how some of the R2's run on race gas while others don't. All dealing with pulling back some timing whether or not it needs race gas. But I think it seems silly that a 1.6L motor would need race gas to make ~170hp when there are factory Honda motors doing 200hp on 1.8L with 91/93.

But having the ability to get free replacements is nice. Much like my NAPA axles. I break one, return it for lifetime warranty. So I really only need to buy 2 axles for the life of my car.
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS P4WD

November 05, 2013 11:48AM
CostCo Kirkland batteries here. 3 year no fuss warranty and I can buy 3-4 of them for the price of an Optima. Use them in the rally car and rallycross car and have never had an issue with either after many seasons.

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)
Nubby
Tony Wells
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

November 05, 2013 02:44PM
May I ask what you pay for the Kirkland batteries? Our Costco membership just expired but that might be enough reason to re-up. (And endure constant pestering to upgrade to Double Live Platinum membership)
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

November 05, 2013 03:52PM
czwalga
Man you need to cover the postive terminal looks dangerous as hell. It's like 1/2" from being grounded. If you get in a wreck and something moves?

Funny thing is- the holdown case that it's close to isn't grounded....BUT...

YOUR RIGHT..it should be covered and shielded from touching anything that may move in the engine compartment -especially in a wreck-including the hood crumpling down on it.

Gotta watch out for Murphy's law...a 75 cent item can save your whole car..right?

I 'll cover it..thanks for pointing that out!

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS P4WD

November 06, 2013 10:14AM
$70 for a 35N battery that fits our 00 RS. Bearing in mind I'm in Canuckistan. If batteries are anything like tires they're even more expensive here than there. An Optima is easily $200+ depending on the spec here.

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)
Doug Heredos
Doug Heredos
Senior Moderator

November 06, 2013 03:52PM
Optima Red Top. We've had two and they were great. Only replaced because they were a few years old and wanted to avoid issues.

Tried a generic gel-cell battery and it died quickly.

We use a little Braille battery now. Lightweight. But it dies faster when sitting around the garage between rallies. No issues at all over a rally weekend, though.

Doug
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

November 07, 2013 09:38PM
Optima yellow, 7 seasons. Dead shorted it at BDC when the tie down worked loose, set fire to the box and eventually blew the fuseable link (ground cable)... tightened the battery back down, clamped the cable with vice grips and finished the stage/rally. Still running strong!

-Martin.
ATipton
Alex Tipton
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Kia Spectra

November 08, 2013 12:05AM
Not to beat the piss out of a dead horse, but I had a yellow-top in my 02 rex for like 3+ years while in school. I kicked the crap out of it in the desert attempting to live dreams on random dirt roads. I killed an alt about 40 miles off the freeway with another 20 miles on that to get home. Made that jaunt without any issues and ended up living another year before I had to go get a new un at Interstate.

Building on a Kia for a wannabe journey of horidness.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

November 08, 2013 08:05AM
Okay, it sounds like the overwhelming majority is saying Optima, so Optima it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login