Posted by BlackWidow 
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

Re: Gas tank
January 10, 2014 08:00AM
Another reason i like the Datsun tank location It sits above the differential behind the passenger seat firewall. No where near a heat source. I have never seen the locatin of the MK2 golf tank. I would post a pic of my current setup but like a dumbass i drove off with my phone on my roof. LMAO DOH!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
starion887
starion887
Professional Moderator

January 10, 2014 09:34AM
Just one thing to keep in mind is that fuel cells have life limits. So stock tank would not have the repetitive cost of renwing the bladder. You might want to check up on the cost of the ballder alone for the ATL cell you are considering. Having said that......Personally, I would rather have the cell inside the car than the stock tank inside the car as with your Datsun. The reference I made to OEM tanks performing well is for outside mounted tanks; inside is a lot more problematic. I have seen one that came loose from its stock fasteners in a rollover and gas went everywhere. It was a scary moment for the occupant......

I find it interesting that FIA is now charging a fee for the hologram thingy ( see here: http://www.atlinc.com/new-FIA-labeling-and-hologram-requirements.html )....a new revenue stream at the racer's expense.....but the mitigating part is that it is required in FIA sanctioned events. I have to wonder if the same is going on with the $50 fee from Jaz to add SFI certification to their cells. The cell will work the same with or without the label. I know I would pass any cell that has the mfr's FT3 labeling other than the hologram label.

Mark B.
BlackWidow
Michael Golden
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1972 Datsun 510

January 10, 2014 11:14AM
Good point on inside vs outside. I think i will make sure tha all holes are filled in the rear firewall between the gas tank area and the crew area. That way if fuel des spill out it cant get into the crew area. (well at least not easily)
dirty_d
Brandon B
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
wabbit season

February 01, 2014 10:14AM
510 stock tank location is perfect. Stock replacement tanks are out there, and should be way cheaper than a cel. The filler neck is the "nearing unobtainium espensiv" part of that picture. if you have that, you should find a stock tank.

I don't have an extra.

hey here's a really pretty 510. Stock tank.
http://www.redmistrallysport.com/The%20car.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2014 10:18AM by dirty_d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login