Posted by paperpaper 
paperpaper
Dan Downey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

E30 noob rally build/rallyx
February 24, 2014 02:04PM
Hello all. Was just informed of this site and figured I'd contribute. So here is my first ever build. a neglected 1987 325is slated for abuse on gravel surfaces. purchased with broken timing belt and ruined head. so far I have swapped the motor and tried to get everything in working order. Currently It was covered in snow until this weekend. Really want to to get back to it and finish it up. But hey such is the way of drive way mechanics. Rallyx in the wrx shall have to do for now.
Pictures in the link because they are huge for the forum. E30 pictures
pictures 2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 02:05PM by paperpaper.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: E30 noob rally build/rallyx
February 24, 2014 02:22PM
paperpaper
Hello all. Was just informed of this site and figured I'd contribute. So here is my first ever build. a neglected 1987 325is slated for abuse on gravel surfaces. purchased with broken timing belt and ruined head. so far I have swapped the motor and tried to get everything in working order. Currently It was covered in snow until this weekend. Really want to to get back to it and finish it up. But hey such is the way of drive way mechanics. Rallyx in the wrx shall have to do for now.
Pictures in the link because they are huge for the forum. E30 pictures
pictures 2

More RWD is always a good sign.... even if it is ain a car that is so much harder to mod..

Didya look at the club event results for the events at 100 Acre Woods?
2wd wins . 2 days, 2 different rwd cars...One a BMW, one not...

Hey just a suggestion..this real name and real location rule we have here really works better when we're a bit more precise than "MASS" or WA...
Where ya at?

Gonna just Grass-o-cross the BMW or start prepping for rally?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
paperpaper
Dan Downey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

February 24, 2014 02:33PM
john vanlandingham

More RWD is always a good sign.... even if it is ain a car that is so much harder to mod..

Hey just a suggestion..this real name and real location rule we have here really works better when we're a bit more precise than "MASS" or WA...
Where ya at?

Yes I wanted RWD because of drifto and also because I feel it would teach me how to be neater in the turns.

Noted on the local. I shall update that im In Franklin, MA near foxboro(Pats for life and all that)

It will start as grass-orally-o-cross because I am learning about it and I have no idea what else might need replacing at this point. But its with the dreams of achieving a stage car with it. Limited only by manpower(solo) experience and $$$$$$.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

February 24, 2014 07:20PM
paperpaper
john vanlandingham

Where ya at?

Yes I wanted RWD because of drifto and also because I feel it would teach me how to be neater in the turns.

Noted on the local. I shall update that im In Franklin, MA near foxboro(Pats for life and all that)

It will start as grass-orally-o-cross because I am learning about it and I have no idea what else might need replacing at this point. But its with the dreams of achieving a stage car with it. Limited only by manpower(solo) experience and $$$$$$.

Uh, oh. Masshole! grinning smiley

If you need E30 bits, I know a LeMons team a few miles from my house (they're in Wilton, NH), and one of my neighbor's sons are often beating around with E30s. As long as you're not an inverted porcupine, things could be worse. winking smiley

Welcome!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
paperpaper
Dan Downey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

February 24, 2014 07:24PM
fiasco

Uh, oh. Masshole! grinning smiley

If you need E30 bits, I know a LeMons team a few miles from my house (they're in Wilton, NH), and one of my neighbor's sons are often beating around with E30s. As long as you're not an inverted porcupine, things could be worse. winking smiley

Welcome!

Yes Masshole haha. I think i have most of the bits just need to get them all fitted together and working. although I did snap my shift carrier right in half getting the engine in. :O but it would be great to meet with people who know what they are doing with these cars so I can have something over internet research lol

and thanks!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 24, 2014 07:26PM
Dan! See that guy above, Andrew? Yeah Andrew.. Pay attention to him, he's not half as dumb as he...wait..wait
He ain't half done. er Dumb.. not dumb..

Pay attention to his comments...he knows how to do things wrong!
I know him well and he thinks good.. And I am in debt to him forever from the time I was living in MA.

For Grass-o-cross tires and some kind of fresh but supple suspension and maybe---just had this thought---double up the bump rubbers. That is all you need. well a stiff LSD

Stage rally be faithful to RWD anyway...eye rolling smiley Maybe someting with a better motor for a privateer to run and $omething that mod$ are ea$ier, e$pecially mod$ for the thing$ that make a rally car a rally car..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 07:29PM by john vanlandingham.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 24, 2014 07:51PM
If you're doing the grass/mud/dirt autocross thing with it, what John said. Get fresh bushings/balljoints/tie rods in it, then probably something like regular Bilsteins and springs that are stock-ish or maybe even a little softer. With the low-speed stuff, you want the car to be able to transfer weight easily.

Another good resource is the How to Prepare the Ford Sierra for Motorsport that Ford put out eons ago. They put the damn spring rates they used on works cars in different rallies in the book. For my LeMons car, I figured the "fast gravel" setup from Finland would be versatile enough for my purposes, so I cribbed it as best I could with parts I had "in stock" and I'll be damned if the car doesn't go around NHMS pretty damn good for a (pretty legit, we nuked the engine and our spare is cheaty, but very much very used) legit $500 shitbox! I would look for the spring rates for a rougher rally that tend toward the softer side and go that way.

The reality is, for what you're going to do (NER rallycross), the best thing you can do is get one compliant setup with alignment settings as close to stock as possible, then beat the snot out of the thing for a year and DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING IN THE SUSPENSION THAT DOESN'T BREAK. We ALL suck at driving, so figure out how to get the most out of a base setup before messing with it. Which is why cribbing something from a known good source is the best place to start. Ford Motorsport rally is a better source than BMWFAPFORUMS.com.

OK, time to go watch the dramatic reenactment of our government that is House of Cards. smiling smiley

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
paperpaper
Dan Downey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

February 24, 2014 08:31PM
Sounds great I do agree, being under the car im pretty sure i saw a bushing that was almost non exsistant. Do you recommend normal rubber bushings(stock) or some crazy composite things from people who have "done research"? Other than that It seems to have reliable shocks(eyeball test seeing that they don't seem collapsed, even sprightly).

Ford stuff sounds interesting will look into that.

Not so interested in setup as I am in getting seat time. (looks for closest sand pit/ abandoned dirt roads)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 24, 2014 09:06PM
See? I told ya Andrew was an astute dood.

And your idea of searching for someplace to try out things is a good idea..even if you ghave to drive a bit but I never found anything when I was out there.. Tried Miles Standish State Forest over by Plymouth but it was kinda jeeped out all walloy and there were signs of lotsa mountain bikes and they would be no fun to squish one of them.

Hey one thing you might try! I'm not so familar with the details of those Bayerisch Schrott Wagens braking systemm, Seems like some snooty Beemers did what Ford did on the Xratties and cheap out on rear brakes and they put drums on the rear...don't know if that's the case, but on Xratties with drums they have some goof ball "bias limiter goof ball" (a steel ball that rolls forward on nose pitchin down when you brake abnd limits rear brakes)
But look and read..
If there is a limiter, by-pass it...Your front caliper pistons are only 48mm, and rear are 33....both too small for my taste (My 1969 Saab had 50,8mm pistons and discs about the same size---and weighs around 800lbs less---dont feel bad the 96 brakes are larger diameter than stock Xratty brakes and they weigh stock almost as much as your BeEm)

But whatever they are ultimately that rear caliper is SMALL so if there is a limiter, get rid of it...

also I thing those things use some surplus moped brake shoes in a vain effort to have something that might just maybe hold the car on a level road when parking...but which will probably burst into flames if you yank on the lever for having fun....
Some though might be given to something that will actually maybe work---like hydraulic rear caliper actuation...and maybe even caliper replacement with something neared ro 38mm..
Just for fun and all---teee heeee!!!grinning smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 24, 2014 09:30PM
I dunno what the Bowel Movement Wonder E30s have for brakes, but I can tell you the ghetto upgrade for XR4s is 99 Mustang (NOT Cobra) front calipers and stock Scorpio/Sierra Cosworth rears.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
paperpaper
Dan Downey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

February 24, 2014 11:04PM
guys guys guys. we got to get it moving before worrying about stopping!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 25, 2014 12:10AM
paperpaper
guys guys guys. we got to get it moving before worrying about stopping!

Planning is always good.. Got a clip board?
Get on. Use pencil and paper, make notes, use eraser!

Getting it running is your'un problem, teaching you what you need to worry about is our'n problem..
Some of us have been worrying about noobs for nearly 40 years.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

February 25, 2014 02:45PM
I've got an 87 325 es parts car in the driveway... Lemme know...

Really, somebody should come buy the whole thing for $400 and drive it back to portland as a rallyx car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 02:49PM by aj_johnson.
paperpaper
Dan Downey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

March 27, 2015 03:44PM
Wanted to update all of you on the progress oh the past year. Car has been running and racing since April last year. Rallyx'es, hillclimbs, autox. Working its butte off to make the driver better while I make it better. Come to find it has Billly bob HD's in it already and set out replacing every rubber bushing there is, Nice thick skid plate, tires, stripping out unnecessary items, and recently refreshed the diff clutch packs. Going well and cant wait to use the gravels I acquired over this winter. Just hopefully the snow has melted and its dry enough for me to try them here is a thread over on Grassroots Motorsport for you to peruse because I am to lazy to cross post.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1987-bmw-325is-e30-rallyx-build/99532/page1/#post1767199

paperpaper
Dan Downey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

January 04, 2016 10:11PM
Silently been upgrading and gathering parts. But the big news is, its at the cage builder! Sudden rush put on by the possibility of making the Winter Rally sprint up her in the north east.

once the cage is built Ill be ordering belts, hans, and other small things needed to reinstall everything.

Should be good first test once everything is back together.

Other items to install is new rebuilt 4.10 diff with extra friction plate for easier and more go go on the loose. Headers to make up a not leaky exhaust.

Have not been doing much building untill the cage. Just gathering items for this year and planning.

Speaking of been trying to figure out gravel tires. got some take off Pirrrreeelliiii take offs at 175/70/15 and really liking them so far. seems like a good size for the car/power. (~175 whp)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login