Posted by Drew 
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Re: 1967 Cortina GT Build
November 21, 2014 10:13PM
Well I did all the welding in my piece of crap with a lincoln mig pac 10 from newfy speed n' sport. Honestly it was happy to do the job and would certainly consider another lincoln product. Oh btw it worked much better with 0.030 wire as opposed to the .023 it came with. However might want to look into a Tweco 3 in 1 if you ever want to try tig. I have no personal experience with them so do a good amount of research on quality/ capabilities before investing. But I recall the prices being very nice for something that is capable of mig and tig (and um... stick. if you honestly care)
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Drew
Drew comer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1967 Cortina GT

November 22, 2014 02:20PM
the reason i asked i found a 140hd with gas bottle and cart for 300 looks new not abused hoped it could get me by plus it runs on 120 volt 20 amp easy power to find only thing i saw as a down side was a 20% duty cycle. a pro welder told me to look for 40% duty cycle but i think if i take it easy and let it rest enough should be fine,i read the specs said it could do up to butted 3/16.wonder what wall thickness is on rally cages?

Ask, listen-read, research, learn, weigh, execute, then let er rip
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 22, 2014 06:52PM
Drew
the reason i asked i found a 140hd with gas bottle and cart for 300 looks new not abused hoped it could get me by plus it runs on 120 volt 20 amp easy power to find only thing i saw as a down side was a 20% duty cycle. a pro welder told me to look for 40% duty cycle but i think if i take it easy and let it rest enough should be fine,i read the specs said it could do up to butted 3/16.wonder what wall thickness is on rally cages?

It'll do ya but! make your own extension cord with crazy fat wire to avoid voltage drop in the extension cord. Make sure the wires to the wall outlet are some cheezoid 16g wires. If they are wire straight from fuse box with big nasty wire. As long as the little 120 thangs get 120 life is good for any car type work...Use 030 wire not 024. 030 will deposit material faster and carry more juice so you can weld faster and not dwell forever and overheat the work piece and the tip.. Buy extra tips too. Get a Harbor Freight auto darkening helmet.
20% is fine cause you're not running continuous beads a mile long. 1/2", skip an inch and a half, 1/2" weld.
Above all get the steel GERM FREE or better..If you're willing to lick the metal its clean enough...get all old residue out from under overlapping seams, I use that Orange Hand Cleaner
cause it does disolve grease and it is water soluble so you can hose it off easily. Blow dry, again attention to overlapping seams..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 23, 2014 12:23AM
And if possible get a fan to blow fumes away and wear ear plugs. That hi freq crackling can make your ears ring pretty good. Sunscreen is also a good thing. I've had some nasty sunburns from a welder, seems worse at night time.
Drew
Drew comer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1967 Cortina GT

November 23, 2014 01:48AM
sun burn? cool didnt realize it kicks out that much radiation was thinking long sleeve leather welding jacket have a cool red skull helmet with cyclops look. double up on exhaust fans for sure and oh two gloves

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 23, 2014 12:51PM
Drew
sun burn? cool didnt realize it kicks out that much radiation was thinking long sleeve leather welding jacket have a cool red skull helmet with cyclops look. double up on exhaust fans for sure and oh two gloves

YEAH UV gives ya sunburn..Shit man I was welding some crap while wearing shorts in 90* hellish Boston summer and didn't notice till night I had gotten NASTY sunburn on the pale white virginal insides of my thighs...Yeeeeooooow!!!

The rest yeah right..

eye rolling smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 23, 2014 01:36PM
I'm not a glove guy , except on rare occasions. I've had the piece of slag or weld fall into one once.

I'll bet the milky white /bright red thighs were quite the surprise. It is a rather dramatic line at the change. I don't think I've welded in the shorts thing...short sleeves and the inner arms similar experience.

The noise only gets me when welding inside the shell, especially if it has window glass still.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

November 23, 2014 03:20PM
wear boots too, my air maxes and socks and feet took quite the slagging in a couple sessions rest in piece. i also usd a lil lincoln unit. between duty cycle ext cord and shitty fuse box wiring there was ample waiting for the system to recover to put down a good inch, great for not heat distorting, not so much for time efficiency. then again if these builds were fast and easy rally cars would be poppin up like gfx kits on rice cars

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

November 23, 2014 05:34PM
Snidewhips
wear boots too, my air maxes and socks and feet took quite the slagging in a couple sessions rest in piece. i also usd a lil lincoln unit. between duty cycle ext cord and shitty fuse box wiring there was ample waiting for the system to recover to put down a good inch, great for not heat distorting, not so much for time efficiency. then again if these builds were fast and easy rally cars would be poppin up like gfx kits on rice cars

Really? I had no issues waiting for my welder to play catchup when stitch welding. Or even welding the cage. Maybe I don't follow. Are you saying that every couple inches of stitch you would be waiting for the welder to recover?
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

November 23, 2014 05:45PM
i'm guessing cause i have 120 @ 60amp service, when i experienced it thought i was tripping cause i never have issues at work on a 240 machine, cut out a couple 1 ft tickets of scrap that was clean from doing tin work on the rockers and took to it, consistently after an inch pass on c power and 3 feed after an inch it starts to spatter, pretty annoying but fir the thin stamping of a honda i'm guessing it was healthy, just gave it 3 minutes between passes.

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Drew
Drew comer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1967 Cortina GT

February 03, 2015 11:11PM
Make a big gauge extension cord run it from the old hot tub circuit 220v 50amp
time to gitt gas stitching woo hoo! 180amp gas mig n/co2 gas mix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 10:20AM by Drew.
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (41.2 KB)
photo.JPG
Drew
Drew comer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1967 Cortina GT

March 12, 2015 04:03PM
Slight delay on welding going to setup a rotisserie to do the shit up right I don't like the idea of slag landing on my dumbass whilst on my back looking up, hope it will make things easier and faster so to get more done. Car would be going into spin mode this weekend but no, shit cant get off boat down in cali do to the longshore mess on west coast, hope next weekend more time to get garage ready

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login