NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: E36 BMW chassis parts list
April 03, 2014 12:37PM
john vanlandingham

You really ought to a) fold the very leading edge up maybe the last inch give it an angle so it never is lower than horisontal--ie with suspension fully collapsed. and b) zap a hunk of 3/8 x 1.5 aluminum bar right in front of those exposed bolt heads as a deflector so the bolt heads don't get destroyed or cleaned right off. Hack the front , the leading edge so its has an angle..

Unless you enjoy fighting with rounded mangled bolt heads.

Thanks John. We'd discussed bolt protection and much more complicated (expensive) ways to protect them. That is quite easy and obvious. Thanks!
Sadly we don't really rally on rough enough roads to mangle bolts much around these parts. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

April 03, 2014 05:58PM
Here's the skidplate I did on Dave Hintz's M3 (sorry about the gigantic picture.):

I like to use counter sunk allen bolts to hold the plate on as they are flush and don't get wiped out by rocks. Also notice the kick up at the front to prevent the front edge of the skidplate from catching on stuff.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

April 03, 2014 06:00PM
phlat65
Highly recomend doing the rear subframe attach point strengthening kit to any E36 driven mildly hard. We have fixed 3 or 4 at my shop that have torn the mount out. Street driven, 2 were 325's, adult owned.

Keep in mind that 1996 and later M3's already have these reinforcements.
bttmotorsport
Jari Hamalainen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Opel Monza, Chevy Monza to be finished 2012, BMW 318 iS

April 05, 2014 02:59PM
DaveK
General wisdom on BMW forums is that if you had a 6-cyl you needed a medium case diff. Jari told me that most of the cars overseas keep the small case diff so that they have access to the higher ratios without getting into "M" parts. That was what prompted my supra diff swap and a 4.3, but I would never recommend the hassle of that swap to anyone after driving the car.

I'm not convinced that these cars need crazy high rear end ratios since the gears are a bit wonky. With a 4.44, I was launching the 328i in 2nd gear at 100AW and transits with 65mph speed limits sucked (1:1 5th gear). On stage, I used 2nd-5th gears.

I'd need to pull out a gearing calculator, but I sorta wonder if a low 3.xx would be nicer. Hopefully you'd be able to launch in 1st gear, and use 1st-4th on stage and then have 5th gear for transits.

If your car came with solid front discs (the 1995 and 1996 Ti models did), the quick upgrade is to the vented discs and rotors that all the other E36s came with (excluding the M3 since those won't fit under 15s). At hilclimbs they brakes don't see a ton of abuse, and at rallies I'm not going deep enough into the corners to really put the hurt on the stockers yet.

Dave
I´m again against you all =)... In europe , Finland, Sweden Germany i really don´t know anyone who would drive higher gear than 4.45, in Xtreme cup that´s the ratio used, in grF most use 4.75 to 5.17, or even lower. And the roads really are not that much slower than here. When i drove with Daves BMW, we hardly ever got to 4th gear, And i dont think that ratios should be chosen by considering how nice and quiet the car is on transits (unless you drive 2000 miles on interstate winking smiley ). You dont win rallies on straights driving 100+ mph, accelerating from the corners is where the difference is made.... For example most R5 cars have top speed of 105mph. No need for more in 99% of the cases...
DaveK
Dave Kern
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 06, 2014 08:14PM
bttmotorsport
I´m again against you all =)... In europe , Finland, Sweden Germany i really don´t know anyone who would drive higher gear than 4.45, in Xtreme cup that´s the ratio used, in grF most use 4.75 to 5.17, or even lower. And the roads really are not that much slower than here. When i drove with Daves BMW, we hardly ever got to 4th gear, And i dont think that ratios should be chosen by considering how nice and quiet the car is on transits (unless you drive 2000 miles on interstate winking smiley ). You dont win rallies on straights driving 100+ mph, accelerating from the corners is where the difference is made.... For example most R5 cars have top speed of 105mph. No need for more in 99% of the cases...

I learn something new every day. smiling smiley Surprised that you were hardly ever seeing 4th gear...makes me wonder if I'm shifting too early? The new motor doesn't have the M3 cams in it yet (but still running same tune as before), so sorta falls flat over 6000rpm. Wonder if that might be the culprit?

Dave
bttmotorsport
Jari Hamalainen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

April 06, 2014 08:32PM
DaveK
bttmotorsport

I learn something new every day. smiling smiley Surprised that you were hardly ever seeing 4th gear...makes me wonder if I'm shifting too early? The new motor doesn't have the M3 cams in it yet (but still running same tune as before), so sorta falls flat over 6000rpm. Wonder if that might be the culprit?

Dave
Well, my thinking is that there´s a rev limiter for a reason... =)
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 06, 2014 09:39PM
DaveK
bttmotorsport

Dave

Gearing is usually much different in an auto box too.

Grant Hughes
bttmotorsport
Jari Hamalainen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

April 06, 2014 09:41PM
NoCoast
DaveK
bttmotorsport

Dave

Actually not that much... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_4HP22_transmission
DaveK
Dave Kern
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 06, 2014 11:46PM
bttmotorsport
Actually not that much... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_4HP22_transmission[/quote]

Totally spaced the automatic transmission. 5th in the ZF manual gearboxes is a 1.00 which is identical to the 3rd gear in the automatic. Makes a lot more sense now. smiling smiley

Dave
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

April 09, 2014 10:20AM
Doivi Clarkinen

Dave thank you for your contributions. Any other tips you are willing to share based you experiences with Hintz car?

I remember seeing some pictures of a log being used as a suspension spring after a trailing arm failure. Was that just a case of stuff breaks if you hit something hard enough or is there some inherent flaw with multilink BMW stuff that caused the issue?
bttmotorsport
Jari Hamalainen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

April 09, 2014 10:44AM
Andrew_Frick
Doivi Clarkinen

Dave thank you for your contributions. Any other tips you are willing to share based you experiences with Hintz car?

I remember seeing some pictures of a log being used as a suspension spring after a trailing arm failure. Was that just a case of stuff breaks if you hit something hard enough or is there some inherent flaw with multilink BMW stuff that caused the issue?

When you move the rear spring from its original place to coilover, it is more likely to break the shock mount in original trailing arm. Hardly ever seen it when using the original setup..
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 09, 2014 11:08AM
Which I think a bump stop in stock spring location would save the mount when using coilovers.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 09, 2014 01:49PM
bttmotorsport

When you move the rear spring from its original place to coilover, it is more likely to break the shock mount in original trailing arm. Hardly ever seen it when using the original setup..

I see this said--and repeated.. And I cannot begin to understand the reasoning since the spring does not create any stress, only the shock does.

Please explain.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

April 09, 2014 02:01PM
john vanlandingham
bttmotorsport

I see this said--and repeated.. And I cannot begin to understand the reasoning since the spring does not create any stress, only the shock does.

Please explain.

I think it only matters when things completely bottom out and the shock and/or spring turns completely solid...to infinitiy and beyond! eye popping smiley
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 09, 2014 02:07PM
john vanlandingham
bttmotorsport

Please explain.

When the spring fully compresses in the stock location, it will bend arms as the moment of lever is in the middle of the arm.
When the spring or shock fully compresses in coilover position, the lever is on that wee little bolt bolted to that little thingie.
Hence the idea for a rubber bump stop in stock spring location when using coilovers. Move that stress to the middle of the arm initially and let camber arms (or STA for Compact/E30/Merkur) bend but don't break stuff at coilover hopefully.

Want a picture?

Coilover bottoms out
____________________________V____|

Stock setup bottoms out
______________V__________________|

I'm getting a run of chassis reinforcement stuff made. Had the NextEngine down last night scanning stuff.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login