Posted by BobOfTheFuture 
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

Re: Volvo rear suspension options
April 01, 2014 06:17PM
Ok. I'll have to look up the difference. To me a damper with an integral mount and spring are struts, Mebbe I learn't wrong.

When I asked the above question, I was talking about using your sooperbitchin stuff. What do you call em?

Enablers, All of you.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 01, 2014 07:00PM
BobOfTheFuture
Ok. I'll have to look up the difference. To me a damper with an integral mount and spring are struts, Mebbe I learn't wrong.

When I asked the above question, I was talking about using your sooperbitchin stuff. What do you call em?
shock
coilover shock
strut
McPherson strut
boinger
suspenders
stuff

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

April 01, 2014 09:27PM
Rob,

strut = side load, keeps wheel upright. also controls boingy spring

shock = no side load, just controls boingy spring. (panhard or other controls sideload)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 02, 2014 12:16AM
Mad Matt F
Rob,

strut = tries with widely varying degrees of success to control sideload, keeps wheel upright. also controls boingy spring. part of the triangulating design

shock = no side load, except you the rubber bushes move around, just controls boingy spring. (panhard or other controls sideload)

For the longest time from the first production car with McPherson struts till who knows when? Maybe 1975? the strut was integrated with the spindle.

I wonder what the first car was with the now ubiquitous strut attached via ears?

Oh tried to hep ya hout ther mignon. ^

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

April 02, 2014 07:19PM
BobOfTheFuture

Patrick, what ate up most of the time? Turrets or links?

I wouldn't say any one item really ate up a majority of the time. Everything just adds up. Link boxes I would say were more straight forward but there is a lot of area to weld. We also took the time to make nice little skids for the front of the boxes so there was some added time there. Some, with much higher skill sets than you or I might lead you to believe its cut, paste(weld) and your done. My estimate on hours includes double and triple checking measurements because your nevrvous to hack up your ride,removal of undercoating and prepping for welding, making patches because you got a little too gung-ho with the cut off wheel, cleaning up welds, painting the axle and lets not forget about the pan hard bar and mounts. Everything takes time and everything takes more time after a few pbrs.

Don't think I'm saying it isn't worth it. I'm happy to have all of this done and that's even before I've seen any benefit.

Press on!

Zap zap my ass...
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

April 02, 2014 09:45PM
Well answered Pat. Keep at it!
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

April 02, 2014 10:26PM
john vanlandingham
...I wonder what the first car was with the now ubiquitous strut attached via ears?

I may be mistaken, but I think it was the 1974 VW Super Beetle. Earlier Supers had unitized struts. And some other cars had clamp-on struts like the 240 Volvos, but I think the now common "ears" started in 74.

Jason McDaniel
Creech
Scott Creech
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

April 05, 2014 05:40PM
slidewayswrx
BobOfTheFuture

I wouldn't say any one item really ate up a majority of the time. Everything just adds up. Link boxes I would say were more straight forward but there is a lot of area to weld. We also took the time to make nice little skids for the front of the boxes so there was some added time there. Some, with much higher skill sets than you or I might lead you to believe its cut, paste(weld) and your done. My estimate on hours includes double and triple checking measurements because your nevrvous to hack up your ride,removal of undercoating and prepping for welding, making patches because you got a little too gung-ho with the cut off wheel, cleaning up welds, painting the axle and lets not forget about the pan hard bar and mounts. Everything takes time and everything takes more time after a few pbrs.

Don't think I'm saying it isn't worth it. I'm happy to have all of this done and that's even before I've seen any benefit.

Press on!

The first 90% of a Project takes-up 90% of the Time and Resources. The final 10% of a Project takes-up the OTHER 90% of the Time and Resources....

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

April 06, 2014 12:26AM
BobOfTheFuture
Ok, so I've re read some of this. Here is what I'm thinking...

john vanlandingham
Bob you can weld on the ears for the lower mount on the axle without disturbing the lowe or upper link..

...And yes you could add links later...although the amount of cleaning and de-painting and all that shit isn't bad BEFORE cage but likely be daunting, and take more time--and therefore cost more---once the cage is in.
And that means less chance of doing it.
So you work more and it costs more---You buy shocks and springs now, and shocks and springs a second time.

Makes no difference to me. It is better, but obviously other guys don't care if you have more fun and ultimately have a car that works better---and which spares cost so little.

If I buy the turrets, cut and install them than add the struts and mount them to the axle, I can stop at that point with out causing issues with adding links later, correct?

I understand that later on with the cage in the way it will take longer, But I figure 'spreading out the pain' might help offset that.

Well I just got the jvab shocks in mine with the turrets, no boxes for the 4 link and haven't run the suspension through the full travel yet to check for interference issues but seems to me that its ok. Which is good because im planning on doing the 4 link down the road a bit in the interests of time. Probably wont get around to it till the summer.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

April 06, 2014 02:11AM
Eric Ewert

Well I just got the jvab shocks in mine with the turrets, no boxes for the 4 link and haven't run the suspension through the full travel yet to check for interference issues but seems to me that its ok. Which is good because im planning on doing the 4 link down the road a bit in the interests of time. Probably wont get around to it till the summer.

Cool. How long did it take you to get to that point?
What does the axle mount for the shock look like?

Enablers, All of you.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

April 06, 2014 11:23PM
Took 5-7 days of working before and after work. Most nights finished at 2 am. Im slow and only work a job 40 hours a week so I had a good amount of time. Gauge accordingly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login