NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Another XR Build Thead. This time with 1000% more Saab
June 15, 2014 10:32AM
On brake planning:
Front m/c out I did a dualboutput -3 to 7/16 banjo bolt. One less t fitting.
I also did banjo adapters on handbrake. Keeps it low and out of way.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 15, 2014 10:40AM
Matt, the natural whipping action of a brake hose tends to loosen banjo fittings.
EVERY banjo fitting I have ever seen except OEM ones with some kind of "hose motion limiter thang" have loosen on the poor bastids who ignored advice and used them..
You wanna been the next in this unbroken line?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

June 15, 2014 08:32PM
NoCoast
On brake planning:
Front m/c out I did a dualboutput -3 to 7/16 banjo bolt. One less t fitting.
I also did banjo adapters on handbrake. Keeps it low and out of way.

I have all of my fittings already, but that dual banjo could have been interesting. I ended up not doing banjo, since it was more cost, just straight 7/16 to -3an. I am also doing 'everything' with hardline instead of soft, so there should be almost no movement except vibration. I've done tons of flairing copper and water hardlines, so should be pretty straight forward.

And yep, I have the right flaring tool for -AN.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

June 15, 2014 08:48PM
Question for the learned here:

When taking apart my CVs and rear axles, the damn torx bolts were screwed so a couple broke, and a couple I had to cut off (after turning 3 torx bits into helix). I ordered what I thought were super awesome m8 12point ferry cap screws, which turned out to be 3/8 Fine ferry cap screws.

The VW and sand rail crowd seem to just drill out the type-2 joints, re-drill and tap the stub axles and then use em.

Apparently (after phoning several places) ferry cap screws are only made in imperial, so I either buy a new set of allan bolts, or drill out.

Opinions? The modifications would likely take a couple hrs, and the thinned out walls seem to be perfectly fine (if the pre-runner guys don't brake em...)... Thoughts?
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 15, 2014 11:06PM
banjos are for hillbillies...
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 15, 2014 11:21PM
I are from Wyoming.
I used all soft lines so they didn't untwist. I also never caused a leak from hitting elbow on hard line looping its way into handbrake master.
Then again, I'm more or less A keyboard rallyist. smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

June 15, 2014 11:23PM
MattWatson

I ordered what I thought were super awesome m8 12point ferry cap screws, which turned out to be 3/8 Fine ferry cap screws.

The VW and sand rail crowd seem to just drill out the type-2 joints, re-drill and tap the stub axles and then use em.

Apparently (after phoning several places) ferry cap screws are only made in imperial, so I either buy a new set of allan bolts, or drill out.

Lies! I have a bunch of 12pt cap screws for mk2 vws, they might be the right size, shoot me some dimensions. The place I get them is http://www.metric-threaded.com/browse.aspx?id=856

They do have a $50 minimum order.
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Daihatsu Charade GTti DOHC Turbo, and Mazda MX-5(miata) Turbo(bent)

June 16, 2014 07:37AM
john vanlandingham
Matt, the natural whipping action of a brake hose tends to loosen banjo fittings.
EVERY banjo fitting I have ever seen except OEM ones with some kind of "hose motion limiter thang" have loosen on the poor bastids who ignored advice and used them..
You wanna been the next in this unbroken line?

awww fark! you've saved me(and possibly others I care less about) from a DNF in the future. 1 million internets to you kind sir.

Now don't read that sarcastically, I actually mean it!
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

June 16, 2014 07:38AM
Robert Culbertson
MattWatson

I ordered what I thought were super awesome m8 12point ferry cap screws, which turned out to be 3/8 Fine ferry cap screws.

Lies! I have a bunch of 12pt cap screws for mk2 vws, they might be the right size, shoot me some dimensions. The place I get them is http://www.metric-threaded.com/browse.aspx?id=856

They do have a $50 minimum order.

This is what I hate about buying bolts. Every freaken place has a different name for them... They are M8 1.25 x 50mm

I can get a new set of 25 'normal' ones for about 10$. And being in Canada sucks for this kinda stuff. I paid more for shipping than I did for my first batch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2014 07:39AM by MattWatson.
buerckner
Andrew Buerckner
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Daihatsu Charade GTti DOHC Turbo, and Mazda MX-5(miata) Turbo(bent)

June 16, 2014 07:51AM
Robert Culbertson
MattWatson

This is what I hate about buying bolts. Every freaken place has a different name for them... They are M8 1.25 x 50mm....

WTF I sold fasteners for a few years on this side or the planet and have never heard of "Ferry cap screws"

So I guess you're right everyone calls things something different but this is rediculous, I've deciphered the old alzimhers guys goning in a grabbing handfuls of random stainless fasteners and TELLING me "you guys charge buy the pound for this stuff." "No sir, lets see what you got there."

Before I google it what is a ferry cap screw, is it a button head cap screw, a socket head cap screw, a countersunk cap screw or something else completely different?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2014 07:52AM by buerckner.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

June 16, 2014 07:56AM
buerckner
Robert Culbertson
MattWatson

This is what I hate about buying bolts. Every freaken place has a different name for them... They are M8 1.25 x 50mm....

WTF I sold fasteners for a few years on this side or the planet and have never heard of "Ferry cap screws"

So I guess you're right everyone calls things something different but this is rediculous, I've deciphered the old alzimhers guys goning in a grabbing handfuls of random stainless fasteners and TELLING me "you guys charge buy the pound for this stuff." "No sir, lets see what you got there."

Before I google it what is a ferry cap screw, is it a button head cap screw, a socket head cap screw, a countersunk cap screw or something else completely different?!

here you go: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/22864?searchMode=productSearch&zipcode=&filterByStore=&filterByVendingMachine=
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 16, 2014 09:50AM
buerckner
Robert Culbertson
MattWatson

12 point external hex, flanged----although that flange isn't a absolute must have thing...

a reduced hex would do...M8 x 1.25 with a flange and say 10mm hex--now that'd be my choice

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mothra
Matt Smith
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

June 16, 2014 02:33PM
MattWatson

When taking apart my CVs and rear axles, the damn torx bolts were screwed so a couple broke, and a couple I had to cut off (after turning 3 torx bits into helix). I ordered what I thought were super awesome m8 12point ferry cap screws, which turned out to be 3/8 Fine ferry cap screws.

Opinions? The modifications would likely take a couple hrs, and the thinned out walls seem to be perfectly fine (if the pre-runner guys don't brake em...)... Thoughts?

I am using these.

http://www.mc2racing.com/products/xr4ti/driveline/00269/index.html

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

June 16, 2014 03:45PM

Yah, I can pick those up locally for about the same price from my local Fastenal, so i'm waiting to hear back from a different US Supplier to see if they have the 8mm 12pnts in stock. It looks like they do, but they also look like they are 'plain finished' rather than plated or black oxide finished, so I don't know what they would look like in a couple months?
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

June 16, 2014 04:11PM
Plain usually means black oxide, which slightly better at corrosion resistance than raw cast iron.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login