Posted by vbares 
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

Re: Dealing with the restrictor rule
June 19, 2014 04:55PM
V-Band is not out of the question - and perhaps Tial does make a nice turbine housing - but I'd really need 2 if I wanted to keep a spare ($x2), I've not done much research into them or their price/fit/etc...

Perhaps the following isn't a bad solution - and, I could see buying 2:
3-bolt v-band
Please Login or Register to post a reply
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

June 19, 2014 04:59PM
Another question that might interest others, going the same route is waste gate - (speaking of Tial, you'd have to go external WG, which is what the Audi's have stock anyway)...

How do these internal wastegates stand up to rigorous use?
Any issues with #of PSI they are rated for? Can I keep it shut to build boost to whatever I want?
Can I assume I hook my wastegate frequency valve to it and let the ECU do its thing?

merci grassa!
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

June 19, 2014 07:09PM
I've only tuned with mitsubishi OEM internal gates, so YMMV, but the actuators are where the magic happens. We run our OEM, stock, internal wastegates well into the mid 30psi realm. The actuator is what will limit the max boost achievable, and also affect spoolup.

I've never put an internal sytem on to a previously external, so I don't feel safe giving an opinion. But we can run an external gate with OEM boost control measures (but with new settings). The design of your exhaust setup will likely be very important switching to internal. In silly motorsports like autox, people in a class where changing stock boost parameters in the OEM ECU is illegal, they modify the exhaust in a way that it causes the wastegate to create boost creep, increasing power.

I never have seen one of our internal gates fail. And only heard of very few actuators going, not seeing it myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login