Posted by RileySteenFRT 
RileySteenFRT
Riley steen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Focus ZX3

Re: Ford Focus ZX3 (Starting build!)
September 16, 2014 09:54PM
So you guys trust the CFM arms? I love CFM products but I've got a bunch of focus friends and a buddy of mine had the arms and broke one driving normally on the street. Didn't hit anything at all. But if you guys have had good luck with them I'd be interested, but is want too run a heat shield and a high quality ball joint. I may also have one of my sponsors (Rebel Devil Customs) do tubular arms. I told him to make them strong and beefy regardless of weight. (Within reason) as well as the rear LCA and Trailing arms. Hopefully we get something solid. He will then make jigs and produce them for the rest of us/you if interest is shown
Please Login or Register to post a reply
JuggernautMotorsports
Andrew Kulikowski
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Focus ZX3

September 16, 2014 10:29PM
Yup cfm arms. I would wait on that to be honest. Anything with an outboard rod end is bad news. The alum. setup I posted above is the strongest/lightest thing you'll get. If it was good enough for Grp A WRC it's more than good enough for us! I'm looking to have some sets made.

We ran the stock arms for years without issue other than balljoints. Worry about getting decent stuff (like raybestos professional balljoints) and reinforcement then seat time. You may never drive fast enough to bend/break the tank you have built in your head or garage and if it's preventing you from getting seat time it's not doing you much good.
RileySteenFRT
Riley steen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Focus ZX3

September 16, 2014 10:34PM
I'm in the process of working a deal with CFM to test and market the focus products they sell through RDC, hopefully if all goes well I won't have too pay much for them. And the arms I'm probably doing with RDC should cost me very little.
JuggernautMotorsports
Andrew Kulikowski
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Focus ZX3

September 16, 2014 10:51PM
In that case, press on!
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

September 17, 2014 10:34AM
JuggernautMotorsports
Camber and strength. The tubes are 1" O.D. .156" wall DOM! We also started blowing balljoints out of it at a rate of two per race. Not sure if it was a heat issue as we don't run heatshields on them or just a materials issue. The Raybestos Professional grade are the only ones I know of to use a fully encased composite housing with lubrication channels vs the typical and obviously weak gusher bearing design. We did not ever run them though as we moved to the CFM stuff. I would if I were to go back to the stock design.

To be clear the CFM arms take a beating and keep going. Are they perfect? No. Do I have any faith the stock ones would have held up as well? No I do not.

As to the offs; sort of. I ran a ditch for a bit at Tallpines 2013 and hit a berm that almost rolled us sideways. Monster hit. It bent the 3/4" rod end initially which stiffened the steering to about what it feels like with no power steering in a 2.5 ton car while on slicks in a parking lot in Cali in the dead of summer x5. My arms and shoulders were SORE till about Wed of the next week. We missed it at service as punctures were the issue of the day. Later that day we had to pass the jammed gearbox car of P.Richard and found a small beachball sized rock on a flat tire where the rod end decided to let go. So double hit really and once on a solid rim with no tire cushion.

The bent arm was done by my teammate and he says he doesn't remember a big hit, so you'd do better to ask his codriver as drivers never notice that sort of thing aha.

Are you using the larger 2005 and newer balljoint?

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
JuggernautMotorsports
Andrew Kulikowski
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Focus ZX3

September 17, 2014 10:36AM
Yes, the '06 knuckle for larger strut as well. I meant we were blowing the stock balljoints out of it. I see now that the way I wrote it was confusing. Consider it edited.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

September 17, 2014 10:50AM
JuggernautMotorsports
Yes, the '06 knuckle for larger strut as well. I meant we were blowing the stock balljoints out of it. I see now that the way I wrote it was confusing. Consider it edited.

If you make those group a arms I would be interested.

I think you could get some roadrace guys on FF and FJ interested in them as well if you want to market them.

Many people don't trust the current/past offerings since the Focus Central,Dominant, and to some extent CFM(might have been their earlier design though-they beefed them up at some point)one's
have had breakage issues over the years.

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
RileySteenFRT
Riley steen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Focus ZX3

September 17, 2014 11:48AM
As would I. I'm also using 50mm knuckles, and the larger ball joints etc
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login