DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

Re: VW Mk2 control arm reinforcement
October 27, 2014 03:09PM
Towona
Holy shit my head is spinning from all this good info coming in so fast.

My current setup:

Front:
Mk2 LCA's (unstrengthened) with all poly bushings
Mk2 Axles (aftermarket)
Mk2 power steering rack (the one with the waffle)
Mk2 inner tie rods
Mk2 outer tie rod ends
Mk3 knuckles (non GTi/VR6)
Mk3 discs/calipers (non GTi/VR6)
Mk? subframe (not sure, how can you tell?)
JVAB or Hotbits depending on the season

Yep, lots of confusion on the passat control arm setup, thats why I posted what I know to work. I ditched the Mk2 control arms after bending a few up like you did. I still have mk3 control arms as spares until I come across a few more passat arms.

I ditched the poly bushings on the rear control arm mount since they got torn up from gravel spray after an event or 2. I'm using the R32 rear mounts (solid rubber) and poly in the fronts which I've heard good things about. They've held up well and you can buy the set from GAP for a decent price.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Towona
Tony P
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

October 28, 2014 03:30PM
danster
That curve is so they clear the wheel rim on full lock.

Is that still an issue if you have 14" wheels (compared to the 13"ers those cars had)

DG_Rally
I ditched the poly bushings on the rear control arm mount since they got torn up from gravel spray after an event or 2

I haven't had this issue yet, I'll have to keep an eye on them (2.5 events on them so far)

Runamuck Rally
Chris Eyre
Chris Eyre
Senior Moderator

October 28, 2014 03:48PM
Towona
DG_Rally
I ditched the poly bushings on the rear control arm mount since they got torn up from gravel spray after an event or 2

I haven't had this issue yet, I'll have to keep an eye on them (2.5 events on them so far)

I ditched those rear poly bushing from my road car - I felt it was restricting the movement of the wishbone through its articulation arc, reducing wheel travel.

Maybe, just maybe, it’s down to the driver.

VWMotorsport.info | SeatSport.info | 4 VW Golf Mk3 A59s exclusively revealed > here <
boroko
Elite Moderator

June 17, 2019 02:51AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but when you run an old car, that's where you find the information, and I despise the general move to FB. It just sucks overall. Just had this happen on me this weekend at CUPR. LCA had been reinforced and had a Heim rear mount, and overall in good shape. It tore free under hard braking during a transit and totally surprised me. Thank God it didn't happen on stages...

Post Mortem showed that the weld between the top and bottom sheet metal looked good, but didn't penetrate to the metal bushing tube except a spot about half the size of a pencil eraser. I will be pushing out the bushing, re-welding the joint, and putting a thin strap over the joint on all of mine.
hax
Ultra Moderator

hax
August 28, 2021 10:28PM
Greetings,

I understand that this is an old thread, however I have a question regarding camber. I swapped b4 axles, control arms, mk3 4 bolt knuckles, HD strut mounts, corrado vr6 upper strut plates all on a vogtland 1.5" lowering kit. My front wheels, corrado steelies have very noticable negative camber. How do you guys negate this in your setups?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login