Buy, Sell & Trade
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

VW mk1/2/3 Spindle Adapters... UPGRADE inside! (tm)

Posted by Robert Culbertson 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Elite Moderator

VW mk1/2/3 Spindle Adapters... UPGRADE inside! (tm)
December 29, 2015 08:13PM
Looking to get an idea of how much interest there is in these, last time I sold 10-pairs.

Tired of always adjusting the rear wheel bearings on your VW? Rip the wheel off a time or two? Well I've got the solution for you!
Adapter plates that will allow you to bolt on mk4 spindles, hubs, and brakes onto the rear beam of any mk1/2/3 US market VW. These parts can be found ANYWHERE in NorthAmerica, so no special ordering Polo parts from Europe.

The plates are machined out of 3/4in thick 6061-t6 aluminum, and they set the rear wheel back about 1/4in. Yeah, it changes stuff, get over it.
It is up to YOU to decide how you want to get to 4x100 spacing, or if you want to change over to 5x100. I've welded and drilled the hubs for 12mm ARP studs, but you can probably just drill and install 14mm studs (way easier).

Each set includes 2 plates (R/L) and all the mounting hardware. You will need the 6 spindle stock spindle bolts though, and sometimes they need to be shortened 3mm or so.

Price is $135 a pair, shipped in the US.

So, who wants a pair?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2016 08:40PM by Robert Culbertson.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpeg (16.1 KB)
image.jpeg
Robert Culbertson
Elite Moderator

Re: VW mk1/2/3 Spindle Adapters... UPGRADE inside! (tm)
January 03, 2016 08:39PM
Update: Price set at $135 a pair.
8 sets left.
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

January 03, 2016 09:37PM
I'll take a set!

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
SideburnsSteve
Stephen Hollema
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
yes please

January 23, 2016 04:55PM
Hey, Im interested in a set of these.

This is my first post on here. Ive read posts on this forum for years, finally decided to join proper so I could post.

Im just wondering how hard it is to drill the hubs to 4X100. Ive never done anything like that, I'm guessing it has to be pretty precise. Also, what offset rims you use to counter the wider track? And should you switch to mk3 or b3 front control arms to widen the front track also?

Thanks!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 23, 2016 08:06PM
SideburnsSteve

This is my first post on here. Ive read posts on this forum for years, finally decided to join proper so I could post.

Im just wondering how hard it is to drill the hubs to 4X100. Ive never done anything like that, I'm guessing it has to be pretty precise. Also, what offset rims you use to counter the wider track? And should you switch to mk3 or b3 front control arms to widen the front track also?

Thanks!

I"ll let Culbertson answer the easy ones..He should be along as soon as he's done looking for my straight pull bellhousing he mislaid a while back.

There's a number of ways to re-drill the hubs and one easy way for a guy without a big stable mill would be to make up a bushing the you'll want a lather to make it with (lathe being easier to scare up than a mill) you make a steel bushing that fits a wheel bolt hole on the OD very well, just one.
Say its OD is 14,2mm----choose a nice easy ID for the bush, maybe 5/16 or 8mm...maybe be brave and take it to 3/8"

Bang the bush into a hole on a wheel and then bolt in a couple of other holes the wheel to the hub.
Now drill the pilit---whatever the sleeve ID was...Move the wheel/sleeve progressively around..
You're piloted.
Next get off Flea bay a "core drill" which looks like this:

No tip or point..It only can follow an existing hole...and you used the wheel/sleeve to bang those holes thru nice and square.
Chase them thru to size.

I am already thinking you'll be going to studs to this is the chance..
Why not go good studs?
Google "Bugpack 2.2" studs"...they're 14mm x 1.4 studs with a nice ball nose..super fast starting escpecially when the stud register is down a counterbored hole

You use VW bus nuts with them..
(Used these studs on everything I own since sometime last century...since I sat the the "industry standard" on serious rally cars was 14 x 1.5...--why would I think of using anything else?)

So you have a Golf or sumpin?
What you gonna do with it?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
SideburnsSteve
Stephen Hollema
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
yes please

January 24, 2016 10:16AM
Hey John,
THanks for the info. Ive read it three times (slower each time) and I do believe I understand what you mean. I have a family friend that has a small machine shop and Im sure he has a lathe, maybe better. He takes off eh for the winter, so I know he can help me come spring time.

Golf...no, unfortunately I havent found a clean enough shell. I live in Onterrible after all, and the salt and brine they dump so generously is brutal. I do have 2 clean mk2 jettas. One is just a shell awaiting its day of glory. The other is my bastard that i abuse thoroughly (rally cross lapping etc). It has a full drivetrain swap from a mk3 2.slow with cam chip zaust blah blah close ratio gear thingy and its fun. Fresh(er) engine with built big valve head awaiting install for a bit more go power. I haven't torn a wheel off...but i could see it happening as I get more agressive with it. Im planning ahead i guess...

I gotta say, this forum is soooooo much better then vwvortex!!
Robert Culbertson
Elite Moderator

January 25, 2016 11:05AM
John, I found the bell a while back (thought I told you), just need a way to get it to you.

SideburnsSteve

Thanks!

The method of using the wheel as a pilot will work. Or yo can hit up your friends machine shop, or you can use a transfer punch and the wheel as a guide for the punch.

The stock mk4 hubs are a 14mm stud-bolt thing, which makes it much easier to install the 14mm studs that John mentioned. On my car I stuck with 12mm studs because I had just replaced the front wheel bearings and punched in studs at the same time. So I ended up welding the hole closed and then drilling it for the 12mm studs I already had, since drilling the fronts for 14mm studs would require new wheel bearings again.
William Marenich
William Marenich
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
91' VW Golf GTI

January 27, 2016 08:32AM
How many sets do you still have left? I would like to take a set.
Robert Culbertson
Elite Moderator

January 27, 2016 08:53AM
William Marenich
How many sets do you still have left? I would like to take a set.

I need to do a head count today. I should have a few sets left.

As an update. Parts should be done at the machine shop Friday.
Robert Culbertson
Elite Moderator

January 27, 2016 11:05AM
SideburnsSteve
Also, what offset rims you use to counter the wider track? And should you switch to mk3 or b3 front control arms to widen the front track also?

Thanks!

I completely missed this earlier. You can use stock offset wheels, there were no clearance issues with 14in rally tires, or 14in x 8in wheels on my car.
I swapped to the Passat arms a little while later because a set fell into my lap, but it's not necessary.
SideburnsSteve
Stephen Hollema
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
yes please

January 27, 2016 06:15PM
Ok, cool. Having the wheel back a wee bit would be nice too.

Any idea the shipping to Canadia? Our peso is doing rather poorly at the moment. I bet with exchange and shipping and possible duty crap it'd be double. I just bought a 55usd part that came to 120 shipped :-(
Robert Culbertson
Elite Moderator

January 27, 2016 09:38PM
SideburnsSteve
Ok, cool. Having the wheel back a wee bit would be nice too.

Any idea the shipping to Canadia? Our peso is doing rather poorly at the moment. I bet with exchange and shipping and possible duty crap it'd be double. I just bought a 55usd part that came to 120 shipped :-(

If you're not in a huge hurry, they might be able to make it across the boarder and shipped from Canada.
SideburnsSteve
Stephen Hollema
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
yes please

January 28, 2016 09:41PM
Yeah I'm in no hurry. Keep me posted, and I'll tuck some money under the mattress
Robert Culbertson
Elite Moderator

February 02, 2016 03:12PM
Parts are done and ready to ship. PM me for payment details. Price is still $135 with hardware.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpeg (37.7 KB)
image.jpeg
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

February 03, 2016 10:59AM
Robert, I saw on FB that you think that the mk4 spindles result in less offset than the mk2 spindles and this makes up for at least part of the 3/4" spacing. Do you have any photos showing the difference in the wheel mounting face with the mk2 vs mk4 setup? A spindle & bearing assembly with rotor flat on the ground would give you the measurement.

I have held them both in my hands and don't remember seeing much difference in assembled height/depth. but never checked.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login