Posted by ElectroTech 
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

VW Performance Transmission Parts
March 10, 2016 07:44PM
Crazy good deals on complete gearsets with the USD being so strong. Racing quality R&Ps as well but priced a lot higher than MTS.
16V 020 Performance Parts
8V 020 Performance Parts

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

Re: VW Performance Transmission Parts
March 11, 2016 10:41AM
That 16v gear kit looks useless with anything numerically higher than a 3.94 final drive --- giving 107mph top speed with 7300 rpm redline and 62cm tires

Might work well with a stock 3.67 final drive

The 8v kit might be OK too if you already have an 8v gearbox with a stock 3.94 R&P

--- significantly better than a 16v box with stock ratios and a 4.2 R&P for sure.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

March 11, 2016 12:36PM
Josh Wimpey
That 16v gear kit looks useless with anything numerically higher than a 3.94 final drive --- giving 107mph top speed with 7300 rpm redline and 62cm tires

Might work well with a stock 3.67 final drive

The 8v kit might be OK too if you already have an 8v gearbox with a stock 3.94 R&P

--- significantly better than a 16v box with stock ratios and a 4.2 R&P for sure.
Useless? LOL, wheres the part that calculates acceleration in MPH/sec, better to take 30 seconds to 100mph and stay there on a hill than it is to take 45 seconds to get to 115 and never hold it anywhere. Not sure how your logic works, sounds like had you geared your own car lower you might have gotten higher overall finishes. This is racing 101 regardless of what you are racing. Why do you figure that you need to gear for the same top speed as cars with double the horsepower? How much actual stage time will you ever spend over 100mph? You concentrate on that top speed number so strongly where does accelleration factor in to your decision?

ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

March 11, 2016 01:20PM
Can anyone actually comment with some stats from various races that show how much time is spent above 100mph? I would think the time would be maybe in the under 10 minute mark, whilst the rest of the rally is spent trying to get corner to corner in the shortest period of time.
My number must be high since you would cover 10 miles in 6 minutes @ 100mph and 5.22 minutes @115mph. So just 38s slower to cover the same distance for the lower geared car. Every time you accelerate everywhere else you will be gaining time with the lower gearing, simple torque multiplication nothing to argue.

hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

March 11, 2016 01:33PM
They're the VWMS (Gemini) gear ratios.

The 8v ones with a 4.46 to 4.64 F/D and 14" tires work just fine, at least at the events I've been to. It'd be nice to have a higher top speed but you'll never get there unless you're either going downhill or your car has a lot more than the 170 ponies I've got.

I haven't used the 16v ones. They're clearly set up for the lower F/D, and since they're closer together I guess they'd be OK if you had a peakier motor. To me it looks like the 3.94 would be the way to go, but I don't think they ever made a 3.94 for a 16v gearbox, so you couldn't just use an off-the-shelf one.

Nice find!

Self-righteous douche canoe
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

March 11, 2016 01:51PM
I'm on the fence they make a 16V 3.94 and a 4.20 so it's kinda up in the air. I might go to 15" wheels and 280mm brakes so a little taller based on commonly available sizes.

hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

March 11, 2016 02:15PM
I can't think of any good reason to run 15" wheels on a Mk2.

Self-righteous douche canoe
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

March 11, 2016 02:19PM
Only the brakes, otherwise 14s for sure. Figure the experts who built the VW race cars of the late 80s likely had their game face on when they came up with these specifications. We have even faster roads so since I don't already have a pile of 14" wheels and the 280mm isn't an expensive upgrade why not.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login