john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Saab 94 V4 Gp2/GpF rally car in Washington
October 30, 2006 03:05PM
1973 Saab 96 V4 Gp2/GpF car

Owner Dave Guiden is going back to grad school so the toys gotta go.
Built in 1994, Dave decided to get some race experience and went roadracing in a rental RX7, then moved to New York. Now back in Tacoma, Washington and starting grad school so his change of plans is your chance to wn a strong, light and fast beginner car.

It has a bodyshell strengthened using Saab Sport and Rally body strengthening kit, and stitchwelding in the entire front of the car, Saab Rally springs, Strengthened A Arms, poly lower bushes, new balljoints, Saabs 2.2 turn rack with new tie rod ends,
Biltema (Swedish valved KYB rally shocks),

The cage was a then current FIA cage with 1.75" main hoop and the rest in 40mm and it has 2 "taco" style corner gussets a decade before they were required--you'll need to add 2 more in some jurisdictions.

The Saab 96 shells are legenday for strength and this one is upgraded, and West Cost all its life, so its a good one.

The motor is a done to the specification of Saab's 1969 RAC winning motor: 1.7 V4 with forged pistons, 10.6~~ish compression, Saab's "7.6" middle rally cam.
It has 42mm intakes/36mm exhaust valves.

Carburation is a single Weber 40 DFI-5 synchronous opening carb. High volume/high pressure Melling oil pump and nice oil cooler. ARP rod bolts.
2 auxilliary motor mounts for 5 total.
This motor stays put!

Saab 99 radiator with revised plumbing and electric fan with thermostatic control and override switch.

Clutch is 200mm diaphram cluch with JVAB organic HD disc up from stock 190mm junk.

Gearbox is close ratio gear set "Special I" with 1st and 2nd raised towards 3rd, and 4th shortened to 0.92, again towards 3rd. Final drive is a nice short 5.45:1.
Rolfstorp "R-spärr" LSD.

Brantz International II rally odo, the clearest and easiest to set and use rally odo with 2 dead wheel probes and switch.

Brakes are standard Saab 96 267mm fronts, drum rears with SSR reccomended 3/4" rear cylinders for better gravel control. Stainless brake hoses.
Hubs modded to M14 x 1.5 long wheel studs with snub nosed "lead" to speed starting the nut (I've done wheel changes in 2m30s with this set up).

1 Facet Red Top fuel pump, auxilliary filter, and big steel fuel lines.

JT Tunings (Original supplier to Saab rally dept) rear exiting (exits near the firewall-nice and safe) exhaust system with 2 1/2" strengthened exhaust. Strong.

Sparco Seats with nice alloy sidemounts, Sabelt belts (expired)
Nice strong 1/4" 6061 alloy skidplate with 3/8" x 1.5" reinforcing "wear bars".

This is a well built, strong and light car.
Weight is right around 1965 lbs, motors to this spec are typically approx 128 bhp, so with this power, light weight and short final drive this car is quick.

The potenial for upgrading the powerplant as you go is an obvious plus.

Taxed and licenced in Washington state.
Call Dave Guilden at 253 752-1299
or cell 201 344-6304

Or for more detailed info you can call me at
206 431 9696. I built it, I know it best.
Call after 0930 PACIFIC time please

Price is negotiable.
There are some spares available separately.
More piccies at: http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/spgm/i...aab_V4_Guilden

And detail build shots of a virtually identical car (Dave G. used to own this one, sold it my great mechanic Emily who sold it to CARS head Honcho Paul Westwick)
are available at: http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/spgm/i...=Westwick_Saab

Delivery can be discussed.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login