Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

RX3 SP Rally Car in Cali
May 17, 2007 09:56AM
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/328590613.html

No affiliation. Ad reads as follows:

For Sale:

1977 Mazda RX3 SP SCCA Pro Rally Car

It has a 12a rotary motor with a bridge port; the engine was built by Bob Maybell, a well-known rotary mechanic out of Willows CA. Most of the engines he builds end up out at Thunder hill Raceway. The motor doesn't even have 5 hours on it from being lit the first time, but it has been run regularly enough to avoid any problems from sitting. The oil feed has been bypassed and the engine is run on an oil/fuel mix like a two stroke. The ratio is very easy to understand and I would be happy to answer any questions in regard. The carb is a Weber 48 IDA that has been jetted to suit this specific engine. The exhaust is LOUD, Its got a racing beat header that runs a straight pipe to a super trap. Sounds fantastic but the neighbors will be angry. I also got a new racing puck clutch installed when the engine was built.

The body is in all right shape, it was a Pro Rally Car and there is some evidence of that. The rear part of the car would need some attention if it were to achieve show room condition. I have a set of doors, fenders a perfect grill, and extra taillights for parts to go along with the car. It also has an SP front clip, and hood. All the body parts included are from RX3 SP's so if anything they are hard to get a hold of. The interior has racing seats, cage and that's about it. A custom dash with all the gauges (no speedo) necessary for operation. The steering wheel is not aftermarket, its from the SP as well. Aside from the dings in the rear panel the body is straight, and with some effort could make a sharp little SCCA racecar or whatever you feel like doing with it.

The cage is welded in and the rear coilovers link into the roll cage and the rear end. Suspension is good and the brakes are front disc and rear drum. I'll be honest in saying that the car could use brake work, but the brakes do work. It has an early mustang 8-inch rear end with 4:56 gears and welded locker. The 5-spd tranny is from the SP and has a short throw kit in it.

The wheels are powder coated white, with gravel tires on it right now. I also have some extra rims and some tires to go with it.

My reason for selling is that when I got the car I never had the time for it, and now that I have put as much as I can into it I would like to see some one else have a go. This thing was worth every penny I spent once I finally got to drive it. I love this little car and with an 8000-RPM redline (give or take) it really goes well. It is driveable right now and it does run if anyone feels like coming up to take it for a spin, it isn't street legal but I have it at a house with back roads close by. I'm not sure what needs to be done to make it street legal but I'm sure its nothing that can be done overnight. If your interested in this car please think about what you're getting into, I will be honest to whoever has questions and every reasonable offer will be considered. If you are interested please give me a call and I will be happy to give directions to anyone who would like to come see it. 530-370-1094

I have a complete SCCA Pro Rally Log book and the Pink slip, although this car has gone through some people since the original owner so I will be as helpful as I can in that department. This would make an awesome track car, vintage drifter, or whatever else anyone out there can think of. This is a true RX3 SP but I would think twice if your intentions were to restore it to original condition. But who am I to say what can be done, anyway, thanks for looking!

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

Re: RX3 SP Rally Car in Cali
May 23, 2007 01:20PM
Quick, someone tell Shadd.

I can check out this car if anyone's interested.

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Rally cars/rally wannabes on craigslist.org
May 23, 2007 03:58PM
My fave.
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/327205069.html

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login