Posted by greycar 
greycar
Evan Cline
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 Subaru WRX STI SPclass

My Maxxis tire review, these are now available in NA
September 03, 2014 10:11AM
Sorry as I dont spend much time on the forum but here is my testimony for the AWESOME Maxxis Tires. I race a 05 SP Class Subaru STI in both National and Central Regional RA events. We have tested these tires at 100AW and STPR this year. We used the soft tires at 100AW and the hard tires at STPR. Our overall results for 100AW were 7th and 5th for STPR, 4th and 3rd overall in SP class. We are currently undefeated in the central region using these tires winning overall, SP class and the Honey Jar Challenge. I will also state I had my first ever gravel event with a speed factor of above 80 (82.48) with these tires in hard compound at STPR this year. Our car has been the same since the start of the 2012 season so we can't say its the car.

1. These tires are easy to mount and get the bead to pop on. For any of you who mount your own tires on an older machine this is a very good benefit to have as there is no point of having a horrible tire that get the bead to sit.

2. The tires wore absolutely awesome for how grippy they are. The wear was similar to Yoko or BFG, but the grip was SO MUCH better.

3. The compounds are a bit different than other tires. I would use the softs for temps below 60-65 and the hards for events above 65-70 degrees F.

4. The hard compounds are not hard like other brands, more like a medium compound from Yoko or BFG.

5. Prices are the best bang for the buck. I have never used the DMack tires as I saw what happened first hand to several top SP and open teams that tried them in 2012. All other options are much more expensive. I recall a certain SP team at OTR in 2013 that had DMack tires delaminate after 1 stage and later on that rally they destroyed their brand new SP class Subaru. Having a tire that keeps you on the road is very essential!!!! or I should say this is a "priceless" option.

6. The handling is AWESOME. These had great lateral and forward grip. Most tires have one or the other. I used mostly Yoko A035 in the past and these tires are so much better.

7. Bottomline these tires made me a faster driver. The consitent grip of the tire gave me a confidence I had not had in the past.

I will also say these tires worked so well that I even switched my mountain bikes to Maxxis tires.

As a top seeded driver in the RA series I cannot even explain that these are a great tire for any level of driver in North American Rally. I am not a sponsored driver for Maxxis I just simply did some tire testing for them to try to bring new tires / companies to our sport. If you are in need of new tires for your next event I highly recommend trying the Maxxis tires out. You will not be disappointed.

-Evan Cline
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - 100aw2.jpeg (59.5 KB)
100aw2.jpeg
open | download - 100000000111AW.JPG (62.7 KB)
100000000111AW.JPG
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: My Maxxis tire review, these are now available in NA
September 03, 2014 11:25AM
No back to back tests against any other tire with a stopwatch?

So just an impression...not saying its not a valid impression, just that its pretty effusive....but no more.
Cheng Shin is probably capable of making pretty good tires....I've used them for years---but that was as a price alternative to the GOOD tires I used when seriously racing..
The were fine for playing, and amateur racing especially at a price about 60% of the serious tires.

I don't think these Maxxis tires are 60% of what a good Michelin costs.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

September 03, 2014 11:25AM
Where to buy please?

Edit: you getting em from maxxis direct? Talking about the Victra R19?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2014 11:31AM by Greg Donovan.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

September 03, 2014 11:33AM
john vanlandingham
No back to back tests against any other tire with a stopwatch?

So just an impression...not saying its not a valid impression, just that its pretty effusive....but no more.
Cheng Shin is probably capable of making pretty good tires....I've used them for years---but that was as a price alternative to the GOOD tires I used when seriously racing..
The were fine for playing, and amateur racing especially at a price about 60% of the serious tires.

I don't think these Maxxis tires are 60% of what a good Michelin costs.

Looks like 220 a tire from them direct with free shipping.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Professional Moderator

September 03, 2014 11:37AM
John, CST/Maxxis has been the top tire for many different types of mountain biking(10+ years), motocross, and dirt track motorcycle racing for the past few years. Maxxis flat track tires are about 10% cheaper than a Goodyear or Dunlop, and for downhill mountain biking they make one of the more expensive tires.

I have no problem strapping on a Maxxis tire to any of my rigs, even if it's made by CST smiling smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 03, 2014 11:50AM
Robert Culbertson
John, CST/Maxxis has been the top tire for many different types of mountain biking(10+ years), motocross, and dirt track motorcycle racing for the past few years. Maxxis flat track tires are about 10% cheaper than a Goodyear or Dunlop, and for downhill mountain biking they make one of the more expensive tires.

I have no problem strapping on a Maxxis tire to any of my rigs, even if it's made by CST smiling smiley

It was way back in 1979 when I was working at the Cheng Shin importer in Sweden where my boss Toste said "The Chinese will make anything you ask them to. You want junk, they'll make junk; you want 1st class, by god they'll make first class."
So i don't doubt they can and probably do..

But I do know the production costs on what precision machined parts cost over there--ya know like 160mm c-c Volvo rodz---that's why I bring up the price...it is simply shocking what things cost to make..eye poping shocking.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
greycar
Evan Cline
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 Subaru WRX STI SPclass

September 03, 2014 02:46PM
John, Thanks for your great words, and you are who? What teams do you work with? You probably recommend using DMack re-treads!!! Please tell me how good the Michelin tires are, oh yes, so good they aren't even available in NA. Judging the fact you have nearly 12,000 posts you spend a lot of time on the internet. With several top 5 RA National event finishes, and many National class podiums it is safe to say I am a bit more than an amateur racer.

I am offering first hand experience for a product that worked and was tested on my SP car with fantastic results. Sorry my comparisons are from 2012/2013 and not 1979.

Should I also note that with Yoko's I got roughly 2 flats per event in 2012 and 1 flat in 2 events on the Maxxis.

I also had a different co-driver for both events this year (I used one in 2012 and one in 2013 so I had experience with both in the past) and we did not perform recce at either event I tested these tires at.
Pete
Pete Remner
Junior Moderator

September 03, 2014 05:06PM
I remember in the 90s when Maxxis started to edge into the OTR market. I grew up with Maxxis bike tires which were, to be blunt, heavy garbage. Well, thought I, these guys will either sink or swim.

So, I guess they swim.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

September 03, 2014 06:04PM
greycar
You probably recommend using DMack re-treads!!!

I'm interested on your dmack perspective? Lots of people seem to do well with them, what are the issues with the tires?

Genuinely curious, as the Maxxis tires are easy to get shipped to the border...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 03, 2014 09:51PM
greycar
John, Thanks for your great words, and you are who? What teams do you work with? You probably recommend using DMack re-treads!!! Please tell me how good the Michelin tires are, oh yes, so good they aren't even available in NA. Judging the fact you have nearly 12,000 posts you spend a lot of time on the internet. With several top 5 RA National event finishes, and many National class podiums it is safe to say I am a bit more than an amateur racer.

I am offering first hand experience for a product that worked and was tested on my SP car with fantastic results. Sorry my comparisons are from 2012/2013 and not 1979.

Should I also note that with Yoko's I got roughly 2 flats per event in 2012 and 1 flat in 2 events on the Maxxis.

I also had a different co-driver for both events this year (I used one in 2012 and one in 2013 so I had experience with both in the past) and we did not perform recce at either event I tested these tires at.

Cline, I'll take it from you avoiding the question that you did no back to back tests against ANYTHING... That is why i said "Nice impressions"...

As for who i ma---in this sport---a nobody. An amatuer--exactly like you...

Safe to say you, just like everybody else in North American Rally do not pay your rent/mortgage, buy your trucks and get paid enough --anything really---with your income from rally so that you can do rally as a daily thing....
So, just like everybody else: You are a fucking amature--safe to say...One with a huge fucking ego from day one Even before you began so recently...

Now as to why you have to get butt-hurt and start slinging insults when I said Oh Ok its an inmpression...a pretty effusive one.
What? like a lotta young pups you don't know what effusive is?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2014 12:55AM by john vanlandingham.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

September 03, 2014 10:04PM
Is 220 ea. the going rate for these?

Is maxxis directly the only place to get em?
KeithB
Keith Barke
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi CGT (Historic)

September 04, 2014 08:50AM
HiTempguy
greycar
You probably recommend using DMack re-treads!!!

Also interested in the DMack issue. We just used a set on the Alcan 5000 - mixed gravel and Alaskan tarmac including the Denali, Dempster and Top of the World for 4100 miles then return on same set in 4 days from Anchorage to Van Island with no problems, leaks or punctures. They performed well except on the areas of snot on the Denali.

Options for 15" for the Quattro are getting limited, always looking for options.
FunctionAuto
Tyler Patik
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 IMpreza

September 27, 2014 01:42AM
Pete
I remember in the 90s when Maxxis started to edge into the OTR market. I grew up with Maxxis bike tires which were, to be blunt, heavy garbage. Well, thought I, these guys will either sink or swim.

So, I guess they swim.

I have been intrigued by the Maxxis rally tire and how they compare to the others. I remember like you, when they were crap bike tires. Now they get great reviews for everything from weight an traction to durability. Many of the top Enduro World Series guys are rocking them and they are the tire to have for BMX.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

October 01, 2014 12:12PM
If anyone wants to send me a set of 4, i will do back to back tests with a stop watch, and a G-meter in the car so we can see how these compare to Dmacks ..

smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login