Advanced

Bobby Pitman--hows the project going?

Posted by john vanlandingham 
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

Re: Bobby Pitman--hows the project going?
September 12, 2014 06:59PM
Call him and ask. Eric Larsen, pm me and i can give you his number.

He a very nice guy. i always felt bad for him @ rallies because he had a lot of mechanical issues.

He actually converted his to open light. which was awesome to see a non subaru doing the open light thing... But he has a mis match on his front and rear final drives and drive train issues.

also has issues with not enough suspension travel.

maybe he would rent the car to you?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 12, 2014 07:47PM
oh forgot to ax: is it JUST the imbecilic "No turbo for noobs unless you suck our cocks and lick our ballz" rule that's putting you off that other NICER car you already have---you know the one that stock is quicker and easier to drive than a Del Soul will ever be?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

September 12, 2014 08:39PM
john vanlandingham
Pitman
How much is his car worth? I cant spend that much $$. I will give him a call or email him.

Finding a already built car is what i want. But they are all too far away to make it worth buyib
ng.

If anyone you know races at any local events lmk. If they bring a old car i can bring some cash.

He is about 4hrs away from my house.

telephone...old farts who spend the day working usually don't like typing..Talking is faster.

Except John - he doesn't know what a two minute conversation is - plan on at least an hour if you call. smiling smiley. Not that this is a bad thing. Like the good old days. Except for us that hate talking on the phone and would rather sit and stew in our own juices and not have to interact with folks.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 12, 2014 10:17PM
wvonkessler
john vanlandingham
Pitman
How much is his car worth? I cant spend that much $$. I will give him a call or email him.

Finding a already built car is what i want. But they are all too far away to make it worth buyib
ng.

If anyone you know races at any local events lmk. If they bring a old car i can bring some cash.

He is about 4hrs away from my house.

telephone...old farts who spend the day working usually don't like typing..Talking is faster.

Except John - he doesn't know what a two minute conversation is - plan on at least an hour if you call. smiling smiley. Not that this is a bad thing. Like the good old days. Except for us that hate talking on the phone and would rather sit and stew in our own juices and not have to interact with folks.

He's in New Yawk.. I's telling him to call my ol' buddy Kurt Thiel---in New Yawk. Kurt and I have talked again since he dusted off his old Golf and has been out thrashing it---and surprising all the young 'uns....As I said Kurt has realised how expensive it is to upgrade his Golf especially in the oh so critical gearbox/final drive and snce he gre up going to rallies with his older brother who was Volvo fanatic----well it's in the family..

I'd be willing to bet he'll convince the kid to maybe just find a junk yard normal aspirated head for $50, mill 060" off, get a $85 circle track regrind and do the Supra diff deal and have some fun...
The Sierra din't win a ton of WRC events---but it did do some remarkable 2nds and 3rds---and won a shit ton of National Championships, so the shell and set up is proven fine....not so little miniature Del Sole...he has an Xratty, so why not? (Xratty, Volvo, 4 cylinder Be Em (the nice 4 cylinder--the 16v one) doesn't matter but he has an Xratty..

Kurt---and his brah before him are so close to Ontario that those events are "home" events and in Canada, despite the best efforts of some of the Johnny-come-lately "tech Geniuses" to fuck things up, there is still a trace of reason----and the kid could if he wanted just do NASA and CARS events with the motor stock.....

Kurt definitely has his head on straight and knows its spensive as fawk for young guys not bankrolled by Daddy---or Grand pa's trust fund, and he has a memory (he was young when I knew him back in '95, but now has a fambly so knows about budgeting for max fun to dollar spent.) so he'd talk good sense to the kid.....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Pitman
Bobby Pitman
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
building a xr4ti 1989

September 13, 2014 12:43AM
So i should build up the xr4ti? And avoid rally america events?

Once i get a hr to talk im going to call you and see what we can do within my budget.

I need to find a t5 and a supra diff asap... the suspension and brakes need some help too.

I do like how the merkur drives vs alot of cars. Plus the history of the merkur and the cossy is amazing.. i am just scared if i put all my time and money into it then have some rule book stop me from running i would be upset.

I guess i sound stupid when i have a xr4ti and want to build a honda fwd....

Whats the best $3,000 i could spend on the xr4ti? Other than safety equipment. I plan on picking up another xr4ti around the holidays. From flordia with a t5 swap. Hopefully it doesnt fall through so i can have extra parts plus some good t5 stuff.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 14, 2014 09:03AM
You can rally with stock drivetrain. Sounds like you already have a decently upgraded car. Buy the Jvab struts on eBay from Jan (guys name)for 2k, cage, seats, belts, skid plate, go rally.
Xr4ti is a great rally car, just keep it simple.

Grant Hughes
heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 14, 2014 03:18PM
Who still says 'brah'?? Grow the fuck up John.

Build the Merkur , depending on who sanctions the events in your area build to their rules. DO NOT ignore or boycott RA events because JV is so homophobic. Any local to you events will need the entries and you will need the experience aka seat time. Go rally, forget JV's warped politics. You can build a nice NA motor if forced induction is a problem where you're at. You should work on building the platform you want, learn the handling and quirks of what you want. If the end goal is a turbo Merkur then any time and money spent on a FWD Honda is truly wasted. You're going to spend XXX amount of dollars to build anything so spend it on one car, the Merkur. No matter what... you will suck in the end, we've been told that time after time, so even following JVs never ending path of upgrades and wallet enhancing (his) you won't matter, won't be able to have any fun, dare not enjoy your results or the fruits of your labors.

..but please reconsider the DelSol thing..it just isn't really a reasonable plan, let alone a good one.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 14, 2014 03:50PM
Oh yeah, I also have a NA manifold with a carb and a long exhaust manifold for a Ford 2.3 that anyone wanting to run Group 2 for a little while is welcome to borrow with a reasonable and refundable deposit.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 15, 2014 10:05AM
NoCoast
You can rally with stock drivetrain. Sounds like you already have a decently upgraded car. Buy the Jvab struts on eBay from Jan (guys name)for 2k, cage, seats, belts, skid plate, go rally.

Thanks a whole fucking lot, Grant. I'm glad paying the mortage isn't something that ever concerns you.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Pitman
Bobby Pitman
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
building a xr4ti 1989

September 15, 2014 10:57AM
Who makes a pre bent cage for the merkur? That will pass spec?

Now that i think about it i can remove the chra and leave the turbine housing on... make a plug and keep my exhaust the same...... plus i could tune on the pimp.... but i bet this thing will be slow with a low comp 8v....

I might pick up a old vw gti with a log book fwd all motor... but i am still slowly building merkur... i just want to run it with the tirbo... that mid range from the turbo is awesome

Most of the close events are rally america... but there are close nasa events too.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 15, 2014 11:01AM
Pitman
Who makes a pre bent cage for the merkur? That will pass spec?

Now that i think about it i can remove the chra and leave the turbine housing on... make a plug and keep my exhaust the same...... plus i could tune on the pimp.... but i bet this thing will be slow with a low comp 8v....

I might pick up a old vw gti with a log book fwd all motor... but i am still slowly building merkur... i just want to run it with the tirbo... that mid range from the turbo is awesome

Most of the close events are rally america... but there are close nasa events too.

Cage: Finesse
http://www.finess.se/rally-grupp-h/product/145-godkaend-byggsats-grupp-h-artnr200

Leave the what? No either do it right or don't waste your time

NASA and CARS and you have no problems...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Pitman
Bobby Pitman
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
building a xr4ti 1989

September 15, 2014 11:04AM
NoCoast
Oh yeah, I also have a NA manifold with a carb and a long exhaust manifold for a Ford 2.3 that anyone wanting to run Group 2 for a little while is welcome to borrow with a reasonable and refundable deposit.

That exhaust manifold might work....

If i pick this vw up i will run that and race asap. Its a %100 ready car for a decent price. And i can slowly stack parts for the merkur
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 15, 2014 11:59AM
Pitman
NoCoast

That exhaust manifold might work....

If i pick this vw up i will run that and race asap. Its a %100 ready car for a decent price. And i can slowly stack parts for the merkur

Most people cannot feed 2 cars needing stuff. I think you're young--don't know your income but even guys with good income and they can't rally one car and collect stuff for another.

It's not like if you get some Golf and rally it that you won't discover just how much crap bends and breaks on ANY car being beat on...

Waaaaaay back when I started--ALL but 2-3 guys I knew ran the same brand and model on street as in the woods..Me Saab 96 woods and street
Sam Bryan Opel woods, Opel street
Dave Dunn 510 for woods, 510 for wifey, 510 for his street car
Dan Davis : Opel Opel
Rick Delamere: Opel Opel
Dave Clark: Opel Opel late Turobo Dodge, turbo Dodge
James Stewart: 510, 510

At one point we all had wagon versions of the car we rallied.

Sure kept getting parts and learning procedures a lot easier.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

September 15, 2014 12:05PM
john vanlandingham
NoCoast

That ebay deal on my struts looks good, but you probably want to consider sending them back to 'the factory' for a check-up and to make sure they are in prime condition. Won't cost much and they'll be good as new!
Fixed that for you John.
Once you've sold struts you can't control somebody reselling them. Showing you are willing to work with the new owner to make sure they are in great shape is a MUCH more betterer way to present yourself that what you originally wrote.
Just tryin' to help.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 15, 2014 12:29PM
Morison
john vanlandingham
NoCoast

That ebay deal on my struts looks good, but you probably want to consider sending them back to 'the factory' for a check-up and to make sure they are in prime condition. Won't cost much and they'll be good as new!
Fixed that for you John.
Once you've sold struts you can't control somebody reselling them. Showing you are willing to work with the new owner to make sure they are in great shape is a MUCH more betterer way to present yourself that what you originally wrote.
Just tryin' to help.

They're brand new...
And I have no gripes with Jan reselling them..

Just really thoughtless of Grant to send somebody away..
The kids finds them on his own, then fine...

Morison....go scold Grant for a thoughtless move..
I don't go on public forums and tell people not to go to Grant for whatever.

Further, Grant does not need you sticking up for him..The response was directly to him, not you.

(The guy Jan is a friend...He's Czech, lived and worked in Germany, now moved to the states, we understand each other very well and the North American Xratty market--which is to say eye rolling smiley...I've told HIM---since that was HIS Ebay sale---to tell people that I can shorten these--supply new SHORTER TRAVEL --inserts if people want because everybody just has to lower their cars.. and at only cost for UPS....if that would help.
Again that is between Jan and I, ya know--friends--not you.)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login