Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

colt or civic
September 16, 2014 12:59PM
theres this

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?68130-FS-1977-Dodge-Colt

or this

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4666707122.html

I am in oklahoma so either way it is a drive.

I just want to get on stage. I don't care how fast I am going and i obviously don't care which wheels are spinning. I was going to cage my legacy but even the fact I got the car for super cheap it just seems cheaper to buy an already caged car.

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Please Login or Register to post a reply
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

Re: colt or civic
September 16, 2014 01:40PM
the Colt has more lights and i think more rally tires . it has better weight distribution as well .

The colt seems like it would be way more sorted out for stage and that civic sounds like a Caged and log booked Rally-cross (cone style) car. the AGX shocks is what really makes me think the Civic is a rally cross car that has done 1 rally. and now they are selling it ...

ask about the colt suspension , but i'd be leaning that way. I'd be a little worried about finding old colt suspension parts.

civic you should be able to find stuff easily.. and you will likely be needing it. (my perception is that the civic won't be as durable)
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 16, 2014 01:43PM
Is neither an option?
If that's the Civic I'm thinking of...
Both are fine cars but both will need some updating of stuff and really at that point your talking about a small price difference between caging the Legacy or fixing the others.
Wait, just noticed the fine print about a EJ20g or something in the Legacy. Nevermind, where you live I would sell the Legacy and buy a decent 2.2 or 2.5L Impreza and cage that and go rally.

Grant Hughes
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

September 16, 2014 01:56PM
99% certain that's Ryan McLaughlin's old civic - older picture (and some details, like the fact that it's a re-shell) on here http://rally460.com/about/

(The MINI hood scoop crammed in there is the giveaway)

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 16, 2014 02:05PM
yea grant i decided to get rid of my legacy, too much to go wrong. Also that is why i want to stay away from all wheels broken. I mean Awd is more stuff to break as well and I am sick of subaru rally america at the moment. Every rally video of rally events in north america just sounds like the same subaru going down the same road at the same speed. We need some spice. Some old spice. But yes neither is an option. I am just itching right now and the price looked right at both of them. I also don't want to build a car at this point because it just seems like wasted resources to build from scratch if I am not going for fastest stage time, and even then buying rather than building is cheaper. I am just looking for a group 2 car is all. I also have experience with Honduhs (i motor swapped one on halloween weekend with a hangover and it still runs like a charm (3 years later)

also legacy would need to have 3000ish in cage done to it, it already has 2000 dollars invested and then seats/belts are 1000ish for the not so comfortable stuff. Let alone the fact the legacy has 04 wrx suspension (might last one rally) and no rally tires/ winters to go with it. Plus all the man hours. Where as I see both those cars being about 5 grand and the legacy closer to 10 when its all sorted with suspenders

I am not an alien

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 02:09PM by reecers.
Drew
Drew comer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1967 Cortina GT

September 16, 2014 02:25PM
go old school get a Cortina : )

Ask, listen-read, research, learn, weigh, execute, then let er rip
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 16, 2014 02:27PM
Drew

o yea got one for sale? lol

I am not an alien

Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

September 16, 2014 02:29PM
Had posted about another CO Civic that was for sale, but it's sold now...
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?52537-91-Civic-Si-log-booked-5-500-with-car-dolly!&p=472961

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 02:36PM by Aaron Luptak.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 16, 2014 03:09PM
Aaron Luptak
99% certain that's Ryan McLaughlin's old civic - older picture (and some details, like the fact that it's a re-shell) on here http://rally460.com/about/

(The MINI hood scoop crammed in there is the giveaway)

Yup, he agreed it was his old Civic. The cage in that car was rolled in the big roll year at Rally Colorado 2005. Five of like 25 entries or something like that.

Between the two, I'd pick the Colt.

Grant Hughes
reecers
Reece
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 16, 2014 03:13PM
i mean i can keep sitting around twiddling my thumbs and get my leggy sold. I just thought the price point for basically a running car with a cage looked good. Remember I haven't rallied yet. I am just a couch potato that knows how to break bolts with a wrench.

I am not an alien

Drew
Drew comer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1967 Cortina GT

September 16, 2014 03:40PM
reecers
Drew

o yea got one for sale? lol

not right now but if you went this route get a 1967 to 1970 gt two door they were the best for rally

heymagic
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 16, 2014 03:45PM
I'd probably look more to the Civic myself if it wasn't for me. Some of the Colt stuff is hard to replace, 2.0 and 2.6 engines are getting harder to come up with. Honda is the easy button and everything is still somewhat easy to find. We have a Colt on premise now trying to get it buttoned up for the new owner and some stuff is interesting to locate.

Colts are good, fun little cars tho and RWD. You can upgrade to a newer engine with a bit of work. I'd pick that one (of the two) for myself.

See what Craigslist and your local wrecking yards have for availability for parts donors. Check on windshields for the Colt.
Drew
Drew comer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1967 Cortina GT

September 16, 2014 03:45PM
one on craigslist bc

vancouver, BC >
delta/surrey/langley >
all for sale / wanted >
cars & trucks - by owner

A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

September 16, 2014 03:54PM
someone should make a bunch of 240 rally cars so they can sell them as "used" to newbies smiling smiley

I think from buying a broken passenger car, to hitting the stages i spent about $4,500 total.

$780 broken car
$700 lots of parts 1480
$1000 roll cage made by friend 2480
$900 6 brand new rally tires 3380
$589 2 seats shipped 3969
$158 2 sets of belts 4127
$200 bolt on skit plate 4327
$25 chatterbox "intercom" -heh 4352

and that's an insanely cheap build (not a good one lol)
---- so my rally car was not really a race car , it was just a car with a roll cage.

you are already way ahead of me if you just buy one , log booked, for less than $4k.

I definitely feel you on the "everyone rallies a subaru" i love subarus but i agree its way lame when 10 subarus come down the stage in a row, all sounding the same doing basically the same thing..

though being lazy , a horrible mechanic, and not a fabricator at all, its nice that everyone rallies a subaru because every question has been answered. there's a part ready to ship to you today for anything your subaru could need. but if metal work means something other than "let me pick up the phone and call someone" just about any car could work.

I'd say find something that works for Open Light. its a cool class , IMO, it's pretty damn easy to setup a car to be very competitive in the class. (at least so far) no one has come up with a car that is way faster than anyone else's - problem is i don't know what else is a good feasible open light car.

Galant VR4 , but swap the turbo motor for their NA motor ... Xrti with an NA motor swap?

really i haven't heard of a team having an issue in an AWD, that would have been prevented if only they were in a 2wd car. .. the real issues with AWD is if you go turbo , you're open and eventually against someone with 100K in their car.

the other issue is changing Final drives , or address "all the differentials" is more expensive than with a 2wd.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 16, 2014 04:01PM
Check into where you gonna find sheetmetal and front glass first.

You're gonna hit stuff. You're gonna smash fenders, 9and grills, and blinkers and headlights and hoods but you can fake a lotta those things) and you will eventually need a windshield---and maybe doors... Without those things you don't go rally...

I like RWD cause its easier to upgrade to reliable-for-rally parts.

The Colt is proven time and again up here capable of very high overall results....
And the last ones active had banged in Volvo 240 rear axles so they could buy whatever final drive ratio they wanted for under $150... (the 2.6 is not a screamer, its a long strong pick up motor so yoiu could easily get away with 4.1 or so).... thumbs up

With a set of pistons and a 2,0 crank, that 2600 can be made into a hybrid "2,6 block with 2,0 crank and come in at 2392cc--Group 2 legal. And that combo does rev.eye popping smiley

Neither seems to say anything worthwhile about the suspension o

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login