Anders Green
Anders Green
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: OL vs G5
September 29, 2014 12:53PM
A1337STI
what's the twistiest / lowest average speed national event?

Cherokee Trails. Higgens won it back when with a then top class open car. Managed to average just a squeak over 45 MPH. I don't know of any national events in the modern era (since stage notes, approx 2002/2003ish) that have averaged slower.

Of the current crop, I haven't done the math lately.

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

September 29, 2014 01:37PM
Anders Green
A1337STI
what's the twistiest / lowest average speed national event?

Cherokee Trails. Higgins won it back when with a then top class open car. Managed to average just a squeak over 45 MPH.

Anders

And probably a top speed of about 60-65mph on most stages...

Also FWIW, since we are talking about Prichard's car and HP & drive wheels -- A couple of years ago at Rally WV we ran up the paved hillclimb stage which is basically a dyno-run with 4 or 5 straights and 3 turns. Our times were plus or minus 1-2 seconds despite the fact that our Golf is probably 15hp MORE and 300lbs less than his car. Gearing is a heck of a thing.... The stock VW box, even with 4.2 R&P, is TERRIBLE if you are upshifting while going up a hill as the gaps drop you well below useful power. Meanwhile, VanWay's turbo Fiesta with sequential box not only made power but had useful shifting and ran 10 seconds or so faster than either of us up a 2 mile hillclimb.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 29, 2014 01:41PM
hmm just watched this

looks like rally was way cooler back then.

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

September 29, 2014 02:05PM
reecers
hmm just watched this

3-hour and 20 minute winning times over 14 stages means the AVERAGE stage was about 15 minutes long. Over 3 hours of seat time (Most drivers probably had closer to 4 hours of seat time). Sub 45mph average speeds. Looooooong stages.

Yes please!

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Anders Green
Anders Green
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

September 29, 2014 02:10PM
reecers

It was an era of "Can you BELIEVE we can mix multiple video sources with fades into one shot? Can you BELIEVE we can have a video source that MOVES? And marvel and wonder at our animated circles, rendered at 320x240 pixels!"

Ok, ok, we're all guilty of wowing ourselves with the cutting edge tech of the time. I do the same. smiling smiley

I drove in that 2001 rally... didn't make the film. Had a blast anyway. smiling smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
heymagic
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

September 29, 2014 08:42PM
Modern day version with a bit of everything running.

Results here : http://www.rallyhedemarken.no/resultater_total_klassevis/1?use_template=empty

The fast BMWs and Volvos seem pretty even and not far off pace, the back of the back is very slow Volvos so maybe no turbo?? Haven't a clue as to the classes. I'm sure someone does....

Interesting to watch the EVOs fly pretty flat over there unlike here and why so many Volvos smacked the rear suspension on landing? Kinda weird. Are they running too short or too soft or stock rather than 4 link?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 09:42PM by heymagic.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

September 29, 2014 10:27PM
Josh Wimpey
reecers
hmm just watched this

3-hour and 20 minute winning times over 14 stages means the AVERAGE stage was about 15 minutes long. Over 3 hours of seat time (Most drivers probably had closer to 4 hours of seat time). Sub 45mph average speeds. Looooooong stages.

Yes please!
And it was soooooo much easier on the equipment than the shorter faster stages of today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 10:30PM by Cosworth.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

September 30, 2014 12:25AM
reecers
hmm just watched this

That's no rally TV show. Where is the MTV cribs portion showing some drivers living room that takes up half the run time?

Enablers, All of you.
reecers
Reece
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 30, 2014 07:42AM
Cosworth
Josh Wimpey
reecers
hmm just watched this

Yes please!
And it was soooooo much easier on the equipment than the shorter faster stages of today.

i think this is your problem right here smiling smiley

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

September 30, 2014 08:10PM
Reamer

Class wise I think rules should be made based on build. weight limits should be applied to each car based on a few common things. driven wheels ,engine size, Turbo restricted or not,N/A,wheel base and track width. Every car runs for over all points. There should be types of classes for ease of making wieght rules. Over all should be based on drivers abuility.

Build what ever will get you out on stage. Let the rules place your car in what wieght catigory and run the roads as hard and fast as you can for over all victory.

I really like that type of thinking and i strongly agree.

everyone runs for overall points (everyone but the top class cars are still in other classes as they are today) but basically if you are in the top class, you don't get to see your results with everyone else excluded.

and wow Cherookee trails sounds awesome. my kind of rally. (maybe) I love tons of seat time. and really twisty (low speed) stages. i t hink a rally like that would be where Open light woulc win an overall. or G2/G5 could win it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login