HiTempguy
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

Re: Relative speed
October 24, 2014 01:17PM
czwalga
I still don't think yeoman is anywhere in the ball park of higgins same car or not. I'd be more interested in L'estage.

I don't think so either, my point is just to see how far behind s/km wise Yeoman is as he is the "next best" currently in the RA series. Antoine ran a VSC car at one event didn't he?

Morison
What makes you think his car isn't at that level of spec? My guess is that in all areas that matter, Yeoman's car is 'close enough.'

Really? VSC doesn't blow up motors every other event. The same can't be said for FY Racing. So at least in one area, FY is being beat. And the car has nothing close to the amount of suspension travel if videos prove anything. So less power (or less reliable) and not as good suspension/geometry... could be a decent difference. I wouldn't call it "negligible".

I strongly disagree, based on nothing but my anecdotal evidence and observations winking smiley The numbers thrown around were $400k for VSC's spec of Higgin's car. Wasn't Lavec running a VSC car at one point? How much was that one worth and what spec compared to Higgins (I have no idea)? How much TIME (which is money) and money has FY spent to get where it is currently at (including failed attempts, like many motors) versus simply being able to plop down some cash and gain valuable experience racing rather than DNF'ing/wrenching?

My point is simply that on some level, the car DOES make a difference (which we all know). Its just fun to mentally masturbate about the "what-ifs". spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Morison
You'd think so, but there was a blog a while ago by Antony Warmbold that strongly suggested there was a difference between the cars from the works side of the floor and the customer side of the floor.

But what does that mean? At the end of the day, I would think the basics (shell, suspension/geometry, weight, etc) would be similar. Unless he suggested otherwise?

Edit-
My initial comments were strictly about this:

with the 'fast' pack closer to 7 sec/k behind

I want to know how much his pace would change to the 7s/km (drop 1s/km? 2s/km? none)? Thats all smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2014 01:22PM by HiTempguy.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

October 24, 2014 02:30PM
FY has a vsc engine for at least the last 3 or 4 rallys. Antoine did run a VSC car, but it was an older spec car and not higgins level. Probably pretty close, but he also DNFd in it due to electrical issues I think.
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

October 24, 2014 02:52PM
HiTempguy
Antoine ran a VSC car at one event didn't he?
Yup, owned by Hobbs, who bought it from Levac, who bought it from VTcar - ex pastrami car.

HiTempguy
Really? VSC doesn't blow up motors every other event. The same can't be said for FY Racing. So at least in one area, FY is being beat.
So likely FY is closer to the edge on performance with their engines where VTcar has a buffer.

HiTempguy
And the car has nothing close to the amount of suspension travel if videos prove anything. So less power (or less reliable) and not as good suspension/geometry... could be a decent difference. I wouldn't call it "negligible".
All good points.

HiTempguy
But what does that mean? At the end of the day, I would think the basics (shell, suspension/geometry, weight, etc) would be similar. Unless he suggested otherwise?
Yes, he suggested otherwise.
Essentially, the customer cars are all one generation old with the new spec parts being used on the works cars and the customers getting reman 'new' parts. Probably quibbling over fractions, but not really the same spec. The suggestion certainly was that the same driver in both cars would be slower in the customer car.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
HiTempguy
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

October 24, 2014 06:09PM
czwalga
FY has a vsc engine for at least the last 3 or 4 rallys. Antoine did run a VSC car, but it was an older spec car and not higgins level. Probably pretty close, but he also DNFd in it due to electrical issues I think.

Well there ya go, did not realize that FY is now running VSC engines. Interesting. Wonder if it is a maintenance thing that is causing them to pop, or as Keith said, running on the ragged edge (or maybe they do their own tuning).

Either way, my mind is blown at the amount of money FY is spending then eye popping smiley
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

October 24, 2014 06:18PM
And he looks a bit younger .. what does he do for a living? does he run a printing press (currency?) or something?

You can run the same motor but does he run the same Tune? could be the difference. would be awesome to see a dyno of any of the VSC 's even if a couple of years old ...

anyone?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 24, 2014 07:10PM
A1337STI
And he looks a bit younger .. what does he do for a living? does he run a printing press (currency?) or something?

His grandfather:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foster_Yeoman
So the family got "some" money when they fully sold in 2006. 300 million GBP or there abouts. In 2006 the exchange rate was usually in the 1.8-1.9 range also so over half a billion...

I think he may also own a bar/nightclub in Houghton as well.

Grant Hughes
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

October 24, 2014 09:10PM
ooo reference frames. technically the cars that DNF are still doing 1000 miles per hour... relative to the moon.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

October 24, 2014 09:34PM
A1337STI
would be awesome to see a dyno of any of the VSC 's even if a couple of years old ...

I have one from 2008 somewhere. 290hp, I forget if it was 350 or closer to 400ft lbs tq. I imagine they've advanced quite a bit since then.

Also, Yeoman is a cool dude. We've been friends since 9 years old or so.
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

October 26, 2014 11:15PM
Rumor is old VSC motor went to Yeoman and SRTUSA is now running wrc spec motors...

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

October 27, 2014 07:06AM
turoc
Rumor is old VSC motor went to Yeoman and SRTUSA is now running wrc spec motors...

Were they not winning by enough minutes?
reecers
Reece
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

October 27, 2014 09:18AM
they still can't beat block at 100 aw, so no they aren't winning enough.

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

October 27, 2014 11:17AM
Morison
Ken Block is running Spain...his actual pace:
2.11 sec/km behind Ogier, the event leader
1.81 sec/km behind Hirvonen in the Works version of what he's driving
1.70 sec/km behind Kubica, presumably in a similar 'customer' car.
(Disclosure: Simple average pace gap over the 7 stages using total numbers, not stage by stage detail)

Now the event is done, Ken's pace compared to the following over the whole event:

Stage Winner: Average: -2.21 Sec/k Best -1.13 sec/k
Event Winner: Ogier: Average -2.10 sec/k Best -0.74 sec/k
Hirvonen: Average -1.82 sec/k Best -0.70 sec/k
Kubica: Average* +1.19 sec/k (-1.02sec/l) Best* -0.67 sec/k

*Kubica had a rough Second leg, and the 1.19 sec/k includes the stages where he shed a ton of time. The -1.02 average and -0.67 Best remove those bad stages.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

October 27, 2014 05:45PM
I remember a FB post of Yeoman taking his car to VSC for the engine and set up for sno drift this year.

In rally terms Block 2 sec a mile isnt that far off from the leaders. Its apples and oranges i know but if Block were at the last Nascar race Martinsville he would be over 31 laps down! Thats pretty damn slow!

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 27, 2014 06:44PM
Reamer
I remember a FB post of Yeoman taking his car to VSC for the engine and set up for sno drift this year.

In rally terms Block 2 sec a mile isnt that far off from the leaders. Its apples and oranges i know but if Block were at the last Nascar race Martinsville he would be over 31 laps down! Thats pretty damn slow!

2.2 seconds a km is 3.56 second per mile

The real Dubya Arsey guys have gaps like 0,21 s/km

http://www.ewrc-results.com/results.php?e=13902&s=64843&t=RallyRACC-Catalunya-Costa-Daurada-2014

Or 0,08 s/km over 26.59km or 0.13 s/mile over 16.48 miles

Compare Block's 1.92 s/km and you see the difference between a real Dubya Arsey contender and a "Gentleman Driver" just buying a ride and nowhere considered even half seriously.

Don't know why but this whole year there has been no comments nearly on (suddenly) Russian driver Urlichich Leonid sometimes known as Crazy Leo in his adventures in Canajian Rally Champ-peenship...and down here sometimes doing RELATIVELY good 3rds OA and around there..

But when there are lots of people with cars as good as he has---

9-10 seconds/km ( 15.58 s/mi to 16.2 s/mile) slower than the real drivers, and 5.8 seconds/mile slower than the best in the same class.

Says something about the role of the CAR I think: with a killer uber-spensive high HP monster---good OA results...
Without the car being head and shoulders better than all but one or 2 others, nothing.. Zip..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 27, 2014 08:47PM
john vanlandingham
Reamer

2.2 seconds a km is 3.56 second per mile

The real Dubya Arsey guys have gaps like 0,21 s/km

http://www.ewrc-results.com/results.php?e=13902&s=64843&t=RallyRACC-Catalunya-Costa-Daurada-2014

Or 0,08 s/km over 26.59km or 0.13 s/mile over 16.48 miles

Compare Block's 1.92 s/km and you see the difference between a real Dubya Arsey contender and a "Gentleman Driver" just buying a ride and nowhere considered even half seriously.

Don't know why but this whole year there has been no comments nearly on (suddenly) Russian driver Urlichich Leonid sometimes known as Crazy Leo in his adventures in Canajian Rally Champ-peenship...and down here sometimes doing RELATIVELY good 3rds OA and around there..

But when there are lots of people with cars as good as he has---

9-10 seconds/km ( 15.58 s/mi to 16.2 s/mile) slower than the real drivers, and 5.8 seconds/mile slower than the best in the same class.

Says something about the role of the CAR I think: with a killer uber-spensive high HP monster---good OA results...
Without the car being head and shoulders better than all but one or 2 others, nothing.. Zip..

That's all due to lack of recce experience.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login