Anders Green
Anders Green
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: Matthew Noble-Marker "Livin' the Dream 2015" Rally Sprint
February 15, 2015 11:16PM
steevano61
... established events need to look at new events as good for the sport and not as a threat, helping each other and helping rally grow is the answer to a brighter future.

Yes, existing events can either mentor and teach others, or doom themselves to either extinction or a lot of work for themselves while complaining that no one else ever helps.

People should be far less concerned with what happened and much more concerned with "What have I done to actually help my local event this week?"

"But I don't know what to do?!!!" is the refrain. Well, you do: http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/helping

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
tipo158
Alan Perry
Super Moderator

February 16, 2015 01:36AM
steevano61
... established events need to look at new events as good for the sport and not as a threat, helping each other and helping rally grow is the answer to a brighter future.

Olympus is relevant to this discussion because Steve's proposed event would have been on roads adjacent to the Olympus roads. Someone could read Steve's comments and think that Olympus was one of the "established events" that needs to look to new events as good and not a threat.

I cannot speak for the Olympus organizers; I am simply speaking as an individual who happens to be an Olympus organizer. Having said that, as far as I can tell, the Olympus organizers don't see new events as a threat and welcome new events.

I know that I don't see new events as a threat. We need more people who are willing and able to do event organizing. The sport will not continue here if that does not happen. My only concern with new events is whether they run safely otherwise they could put Olympus at risk. Olympus spent a few years wandering around when we lost the Green Diamond roads after 2007 and I don't want a repeat of that.

I don't know what happened with Steve's event. I wouldn't have been able to be there because of a prior commitment and am very busy with work, so I wasn't following what was up with it. I was asked about it, but I didn't know much, so there wasn't much for me to say.

alan
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

February 16, 2015 02:42AM
steevano61
I will say this, there is no room for new organizers or people who think outside of the box in rally.
What was 'out of the box?'
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

February 16, 2015 11:54AM
steevano61

Thank you to Tino for so quickly organizing a replacement event to help the teams who worked so hard to prepare their cars for nothing.

Details on the replacement event?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 16, 2015 12:07PM
steevano61
john vanlandingham
steevano61
Since nothing good could come from full disclosure of the details surrounding this I'd rather not elude to that at this time.
I will say this, there is no room for new organizers or people who think outside of the box in rally. Your time, money and reputation will suffer a heavy price and in the end you will only hurt the people you are trying to help. You can take that to the bank from someone who tried.

Sorry to hear than nothing has changed in the last 30 years....so much egos and so much rigidity and its only gotten worse.

Thank you to Tino for so quickly organizing a replacement event to help the teams who worked so hard to prepare their cars for nothing.

Yeah, two hours between your's getting cancelled and theirs getting announced as a done deal..
Hardly missing a beat.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 16, 2015 12:16PM
northcoast

http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/event/2015-Washington-Test-Day-1

northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

February 16, 2015 01:12PM
Are NASA license, membership, medical exam all required for the test day?
Anders Green
Anders Green
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 16, 2015 02:39PM
Yes.

All the regular certifications (membership/license/medical form), all the usual safety gear, all the normal rally car construction.

steevano61
steven warren
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

February 17, 2015 08:36PM
Gravity Fed
I feel like we should know what happened

To start pointing fingers would be the easy way out of this but not the right way. In the end it still comes back to me. This was a huge undertaking which I knew from the start, and for much of the last 2-3 years, one which I worked alone towards. Even with a full group of organizers, creating and building an event from nothing is hard, alone it is nearly impossible. The reasons behind this foolishness were simple, this was my dream and no one else's so I never had an expectation of anyone else offering to jump in and devote the time and energy required to see this through. However I did believe in "if you build it, they will come" and it appears I was right. Through the course of this I did make my share of mistakes, got brutally schooled in politics and learned a great deal.

I started this because I Love Rally, I love the sport, most of the people and almost everything about it. I have been more fortunate than most in that I have had opportunities that most could only dream of. Being taken in by John Nagel in the late 70's and having a front row seat up to and including the WRC years of Olympus. To be around people like Ron Barker, John Nispel, the late John Forespring, people who I look to as mentors. I have owned cars and driven in rally's, co-driven, promoted, volunteered and helped organize events and all of this has led to a very clear picture I have and attempted to create. I have been very outspoken in what I believe, in area's that I think we can do better in and changes I feel that would benefit our events and sport. As in life, those views were not shared by everyone around me and it was made very clear by some that my opinions and likewise myself, weren't welcome. That is the very reason I set off on my own create events like this. Rally is an ever changing landscape and in this region I think we're missing the boat to some degree. I say that with no disrespect, several of the best events in the country are here but that is also my point... We're top heavy on Huge events and almost devoid of anything below that. I hope that the ball I started rolling will continue and have no doubts that my views and thoughts will be shown correct if given the chance. Unfortunately I do not know if I will ever be able to shed the dark cloud around me that the unnamed sources and their tall tales created so my future involvement at any level is at best questionable.

Having said all that, to delve any deeper into this would at best be an attempt to clear myself and point blame elsewhere. To do so would only cause more fights, more negativity involving rally and that is the opposite of my intentions. So at this point, please accept my apology and lets move forward.

steven
steevano61
steven warren
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

February 17, 2015 08:57PM
ALS FTW
steevano61
I will say this, there is no room for new organizers or people who think outside of the box in rally.
What was 'out of the box?'

The Norm
steevano61
steven warren
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

February 17, 2015 09:05PM
northcoast
steevano61

the details are posted on Agatino Fortunato's FB Page
tipo158
Alan Perry
Super Moderator

February 18, 2015 01:45PM
steevano61
Having said all that, to delve any deeper into this would at best be an attempt to clear myself and point blame elsewhere. To do so would only cause more fights, more negativity involving rally and that is the opposite of my intentions. So at this point, please accept my apology and lets move forward.

The problem is that that is not going to happen. This is going to be yet another drama in the on-going rally soap opera that people will bring up when they are pissed about something else that they didn't like or otherwise use as an example of what's wrong with rally. It doesn't matter that the story is incomplete; people will fill in the gaps to suit their own preferences.

alan
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

February 18, 2015 02:18PM
tipo158

The problem is that that is not going to happen. This is going to be yet another drama in the on-going rally soap opera that people will bring up when they are pissed about something else that they didn't like or otherwise use as an example of what's wrong with rally. It doesn't matter that the story is incomplete; people will fill in the gaps to suit their own preferences.

alan

Less drama, more RALLY!! I love the idea of a rally sprint series. I think Steve nailed it when he said that the PNW is lacking in regional events. If someone else wants to get a series started I would gladly help in whatever capacity possible as long as I can still compete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 07:47PM by northcoast.
Clayto
Clayton McCrary
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
XRatty purchased. Now build it!!

February 18, 2015 05:04PM
confused smiley
tipo158
Alan Perry
Super Moderator

February 19, 2015 12:43PM
northcoast
Less drama, more RALLY!! I love the idea of a rally sprint series. I think Steve nailed it when he said that the PNW is lacking in regional events. If someone else wants to get a series started I would gladly help in whatever capacity possible as long as I can still compete.

The PNW IS lacking in regional events.

Then again, Mt. Hood had almost 37 stage miles, short transits and a $250 ($350 late) entry fee and could only get 16 cars, so maybe the demand isn't actually there to support more events.

alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login