Posted by john vanlandingham 
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Meanwhile in Oregon
April 26, 2015 02:38PM
Away from the exaggeration and ridiculousness of the hype (Heard on Wawwy Amerwica Wadio "Today here with some of the best drivers IN THE WORLD!!!...." Oh Mah Gawd....shovel it on, eh)

there is some good action going on....
Big battle between the all German team of Hintz, Hintz und Bayerich Motoren Werks E36 3. whatever big 6.....

And the relative underdog of the New and Improved Dave Clark in the new and improved
Ford Xratty....

Two cars and two approaches to the same ends....seconds apart...And experience so far prevailing over youthful enthusiasm and good looks!

Following the results here at the excellent Dave Hume Rally America Combiner thingy:
http://www.daronhume.com/rally/combine.php5?rally_id=oregon&rally_id_override=&rally_year=2015&start_stage=&end_stage=&watch_cars=&ignore_cars=&class_alias=&class_filter=&stage_skip=

Wheere's reports? Gossip? Lies?

What's the stage by stage in Group 2?

Dish the dirt...

PICCIES

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

Re: Meanwhile in Oregon
April 26, 2015 05:31PM
Coverage has been atrocious. As of 3:30pm yesterday, the website was still showing only the scores up to Stage 6, with no news of who retired or why. The iRally site was only showing two reports, one from Friday night and one from early Saturday. In both cases, they just went to the top names and didn't cover anyone else.

I finally figured out that Jace's twitter feed was where all the up-to-date news was. Jace had pretty up-to-date scores. This makes the lag on the official site even more inexcusable because it means that there were comms out in the field.

Now, it's about 3pm Sunday and I'd sort of like to know what's going on, but R-A has made it so difficult and unpleasant that I'm having a hard time caring. The Rally-America site doesn't even have a direct link to the results on the front page any more. The spot where it was now points to the next rally, Olympus, which is odd because they don't even have the final scores in from this one yet. From my Facebook connections I gather both Higgins and Duplessis both blew their motors. Higgins had a spare motor so they just stuffed another one in. Duplessis is out. Lars' Juke had some sort of car-immobilizing computer problem and was a DNS. The mutant rolled but continued.

On the whole, I usually would just keep my mouth shut about this sort of thing, but I've done scoring for Mt. Hood many times, and it's just not that hard to get scores in fast. I don't know the Dufur area that well, but if Jace was able to get immediate scores up to the internet, then there's clearly a comm path of some sort available there.

Of course, posting all that here doesn't do a damn bit of good.

Self-righteous douche canoe
kaiser sosa
Josh vonAhlefeld
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 VW Golf GTi

April 26, 2015 10:58PM
Just got back, was hanging out with Trackside who had the Saab, Cortina and Carver's Veggie VW running. Lost the Saab halfway through Saturday and the Cortina got hit by a local at Parc Expose Saturday night downtown. REALLY!? Of all the other cars here you hit the beautiful historic English Ford?

Clark was HAULING ASS in the XR, I used to trade times with him...well that was fun while it lasted. I mean like, what happened? I know new motor la la la, but it's like he found the shoe that fits right or something.

Nameless was doing as expected until they lost the motor Sunday morning I think. I heard when they hit the water splash it turned the bumper skin inside out and flipped it up into the field of view, that sounds totally not awesome. I know we'll see them back at Oly in a few weeks with what ever caused them issues this weekend fixed and ready to go.

Hintz looked really good the little I saw when I could get out to watch, the sound of that motor makes me all emotional.

I'm tired.

easy to be hard, hard to be smart
Jv
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

April 27, 2015 12:47AM
It was going rad until this happened at speed.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (41.1 KB)
image.jpg
open | download - image.jpg (80.9 KB)
image.jpg
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Co-Driver - Old School Motorsports WRX

April 27, 2015 06:41AM
I followed via iRally's tweets and RA's Instagram account (not to mention various competitors' and fans' social media accounts) w/o issue. The RA website is about the last place I ever look to, at this point. grinning smiley

-Brian
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

April 27, 2015 09:10AM
Had a blast! Got to see Mr Kun outside his natural environment (hope he makes the next one). Robert Culbertson was running around like a very tall headless chicken all weekend, Co-driving the volvo and servicing at least 2 other vehicles. It was rather impressive. Robert's done a really nice job putting the new motor in Dave Clark's merkur, and Dave drove the heck out of the thing. Like Josh said the Saab went down saturday which was a bummer, but the Cortina was way cool. Todd Lengacher (SP?) put the mutant on it's lid saturday, got rolled over and drove out but was unable to continue.

Lots of fun!
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

April 27, 2015 09:22AM
But if you look some 12 minutes further up the field, Seehorn is in '3rd if I'd paid the extra money' nearly a minute quicker than someone who paid more to run the same miles and collect a trophy and two minutes ahead of the next guy and two and ahead of his class competition.
Isn't this only Seehorn's second year rally racing?
Didn't Seehorn build his own car?
Isn't Seehorn's Subaru a colour other than blue?
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

April 27, 2015 09:27AM
I had two fuel injectors fail on the new Merkur. No spares. Of all the things that I thought may be a problem, the injectors were not on the list. I was able to keep up on three cylinders but when the second one let go we were stuck at the bottom of a steep hill.

Cody did a good job on his first time as a co-driver. How many guys get to rally two cars on their first event?!?

Larry had to leave early on Sunday so I was able to jump into the Celica and drive the second half of Sunday. I don't know how we got third place in G2. I suspect that was a scoring error!

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

April 27, 2015 09:53AM
ALS FTW
But if you look some 12 minutes further up the field, Seehorn is in '3rd if I'd paid the extra money' nearly a minute quicker than someone who paid more to run the same miles and collect a trophy and two minutes ahead of the next guy and two and ahead of his class competition.

Just chatted with him on FB. 4th event he's ever done (lots and lots of motorcycle experience both road racing and off-road stuff). Built his own car, nothing crazy. Built from a wrecked 05 STI that he put back together, stock drivetrain, running E85, running new Maxxis Hard tires, and also using the $2500 All-Wheels Driven suspension. Same stuff I've been using. I'm impressed.

Sounds like he is going to try and do national at Olympus to see if he can collect some contingency money.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 27, 2015 10:11AM
MConte05
ALS FTW

Just chatted with him on FB. 4th event he's ever done (lots and lots of motorcycle experience both road racing and off-road stuff). Built his own car, nothing crazy. Built from a wrecked 05 STI that he put back together, stock drivetrain, running E85, running new Maxxis Hard tires, and also using the $2500 All-Wheels Driven suspension. Same stuff I've been using. I'm impressed.

Sounds like he is going to try and do national at Olympus to see if he can collect some contingency money.

Nothing unusual, just buying a lot of expensive stuff and stick it in a newish car...already old news 10 years ago..
doing that result is nice and all but it really is a comment on the others....

(an analogy is needed: if there was a gang of people that had been playing basketball in some court, and comoing up with titles "The Baddest!" and "Numbah Juan" etc and they had been playing for some years.......

and some new guy comes along , never played basketball at all, and is in 2 or 4 games is "suddenly" near the top....

Does that mean he's "Great"......or that the others are not doing very well?

Bearing in mind that ALL the entries in the entire field were --except Higgins---
anihilated--stomped ---OWNED by Brendan Reeves in a little normal aspirated 1600cc car....that kind of gives you and idea that it is the whole field which is driving---"modestly"

epsecially in the words of the Aussie who was visiting saying "Brendan ain't the fastest we have down there"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

April 27, 2015 11:04AM
Are you serious...?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 27, 2015 11:18AM
kaiser sosa
Nameless was doing as expected including when they lost the motor Sunday morning.

Fixed that for you. Hopefully one day all the bugs will be worked out of that car though I'm sure it's operational costs will still be excessive.
My wife asked last night, "how's the rally go this weekend?"
I replied, "No clue, I've given up trying to follow remotely."
She said, "Isn't that kinda your business?"

Grant Hughes
Todd Lengacher
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1984 Audi S-1r(sold),1989 Mitz Mutant (awd mirage) open light bound but curently rallycross duty,1975 Galant/Dodge Colt future G5 car

April 27, 2015 11:59AM
Jake and I we slowly getting up to speed on Saturday when the roll happened...
It was in '07 that I was last on stage and I haven't run with notes..EVER!
So I needed the miles to learn and he needed them as well(new to co-driving).
The corner we rolled the time before I hade toput it in reverse to make the corner and told myself :I'm going to set up right this time!" well I did set up right but just a foot or so to early...caught the inside bank and over we went..shut the motor off before the car settled and when the way was clear for the spectators to roll us back we headed off.
Took it easy till the next chicane where it seemed the car was bent but still was solid.
At service the winshield was too bad to continue,bent tie rod(and no spare) radiator was crushed down and looked ready to pop,and NO side windows...
got to go will finish later..
Todd
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

April 27, 2015 12:10PM
Jake and I we slowly getting up to speed on Saturday when the roll happened...
It was in '07 that I was last on stage and I haven't run with notes..EVER!
So I needed the miles to learn and he needed them as well(new to co-driving).
The corner we rolled the time before I hade toput it in reverse to make the corner and told myself :I'm going to set up right this time!" well I did set up right but just a foot or so to early...caught the inside bank and over we went..shut the motor off before the car settled and when the way was clear for the spectators to roll us back we headed off.
Took it easy till the next chicane where it seemed the car was bent but still was solid.
At service the winshield was too bad to continue,bent tie rod(and no spare) radiator was crushed down and looked ready to pop,and NO side windows...
got to go will finish later..
Todd

Damage didn't look too terrible all things considered. Was really cool seeing your car, and the same thing done several generations later by the green apu guys.
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

April 27, 2015 12:21PM
Don't know what you guys are smokin. The Wally Amerwica web site says there was only 1 retirement at Oregon. That's where I go for all my information (not).

Don Kennedy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login