Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: Rally Utah
August 06, 2015 06:54PM
I'm not surprised

BREAKING NEWS: We are disappointed to announce circumstances beyond our control have forced the organizers to cancel the rally. Further details will be posted here and on our website once confirmed. ‪#‎rallyutah‬

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Please Login or Register to post a reply
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

August 06, 2015 09:47PM
Hope folks get some of their money back.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

August 06, 2015 09:50PM
Gravity Fed
I'm not surprised

BREAKING NEWS: We are disappointed to announce circumstances beyond our control have forced the organizers to cancel the rally. Further details will be posted here and on our website once confirmed. ‪#‎rallyutah‬

Why am I not surprised? This is a duhneas rally, right?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 06, 2015 09:59PM
Grand Junction is only a few hours away. Lands End Hill Climb FTW!!!

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 06, 2015 10:21PM
We have a full bed and single available in the trailer!

Grant Hughes
steevano61
steven warren
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1979 RX 7

August 06, 2015 10:24PM
is that this weekend?
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

August 06, 2015 11:23PM
The good news is, if it's linear (hard to tell from only two data points), Rally Utah 2016 won't be cancelled until a few months after the event! smiling smiley

:|

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 11:46PM by Aaron Luptak.
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

August 07, 2015 11:29AM
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

August 07, 2015 12:08PM
Here's the part from the article I don't understand....

“We were told there was no permits to use any of the roads even though we were told the county and the city and everyone else had signed off on it,” McMahon said

Verbally told? I've never organized a rally, but don't you need to have actual copies of the permits?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 07, 2015 12:19PM
Wow, one line in and the bullshit is deep already---a "professional" rally race...drivers fromas far away as China!
Wonder if it was the reporter doing a fluff job or just reporting how the whole thing had been pitched to everybody locally?

I've always said that the tendancy of many to bullshit to hell out of this stuff we do/have done and lie to locals and officials about PROfessional this, PROfessional that, even back to SCCA's stupid use of PROrally™ inevitably is going to or has bit people in the ass..

Like everything else we'll never know what really occured....even though there's hints--if the words were accurately conveyed.
Reporter says she said "I thought the permits were done"

In something like this sorry but ther is no "thought" , its simple "permits done--or permits not done.

And maybe its just me being a silly optimist but I thought permits from bureaucracies were supposed to be 100% nailed down a couple of months before hand so you could concentrate on other worries, like numbers of entries..

So she "thought" permits were done, and it was a big surprise they weren't..

I wonder what sort of surprise it will be to find demand letters from all 11 entries demanding 100% refund, plus expenses.....in lieu of filing charges for fraud.....

How else can it be looked at if she's accepting entries---a contract basically saying "I send you $xxx dollars in exchange for participating in a rally obstenibly zzz miles long" when she hasn't got the road permits--and lamely claims "I thought the permits were done"

Has she been watching that great Mel Brookes movie "the Producers"?

Wonder if this is enough for folks?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 07, 2015 02:22PM
Permits are handled different ways by different bodies, and sometimes it can be vague. The BLM, for instance, has a very well-defined permit process and after you've waded through it you walk away with an official signed form in your hand (as well as a ream of operational requirements).

Some counties are the same way. You apply, fill out a form, pay a fee, they consider it for awhile, and then you get a signed form. Others may just send a letter say "Yeah, OK, you're approved." and that's it. One county we worked with just said "print out the minutes of the council meeting and use that".

And in some cases, it's very hard to get things nailed down months beforehand because the various interested bodies refuse to do anything until it gets close to the event. We had one that wouldn't issue a permit until a couple of weeks before the event. And one year that body asked us to postpone the rally a month, one month before the event.

Putting on rallies is risky.

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 07, 2015 02:55PM
hoche
Permits are handled different ways by different bodies, and sometimes it can be vague. The BLM, for instance, has a very well-defined permit process and after you've waded through it you walk away with an official signed form in your hand (as well as a ream of operational requirements).

Some counties are the same way. You apply, fill out a form, pay a fee, they consider it for awhile, and then you get a signed form. Others may just send a letter say "Yeah, OK, you're approved." and that's it. One county we worked with just said "print out the minutes of the council meeting and use that".

And in some cases, it's very hard to get things nailed down months beforehand because the various interested bodies refuse to do anything until it gets close to the event. We had one that wouldn't issue a permit until a couple of weeks before the event. And one year that body asked us to postpone the rally a month, one month before the event.

Putting on rallies is risky.

OK good points but the main thing is "we'll NEVER know"...

and separately---11 entries..
Whas zup wif dat?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
reecers
Reece
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

August 07, 2015 03:05PM
so they were concerned rain would be a factor to the riders safety? Riders? I don't see any motorcycles in the entry list. Sounds to me like she didn't have it nailed down enough before she started accepting cash. Difficult or not to get permits you can't leave it to chance. I am sure if she pestered the right people enough she would have gotten something more concrete.

But sounds like she put a lot of faith in the people in charge to hold their word? Well good luck and press on to the next one fellas

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

August 07, 2015 03:07PM
"She said she walked into a room full of top officials, including members from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and BLM, as well as Cedar City and Iron County officials."

"McMahon said the meeting was called to try and find a solution to some complaints about the race, and also to talk about the lack of permits for the use of roads for the race. Permits that McMahon said she thought were all taken care of. In the end, McMahon felt she was getting pushed out."

That pesky lack of permits. Was she in some kind of denial heading into the event? Especially after prior promotion and cancellation. Is this like folks that make up an alleged crime committed against them to cover their own malfeasance? Thinking they are in too deep to back out?

Not having a BLM permit in hand would make it pretty clear to anyone that they did not have a permit to put on an event.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

August 07, 2015 03:47PM
NoCoast
Sadly we will be at Rallycross National Championships that weekend. Though one of the other shop owners might go to Utah. So far rallycross guys have been a much larger client base than stage rally. Of the 49 entries at Rally Idaho, only seven are our customers (14%). Interestingly, two of the seven Colorado entries are not customers.

No kidding? I heard from Keith Lightfoot that Rally Utah was cancelled so I checked in here.

I'm posting from hotel - driving #515 PA. Got some Elijah Craig in the fridge if you want any...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login