zack13277
Zack Rondeau
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Mazda RX7

Toyota Yaris Stage Car
May 25, 2015 08:16PM
Poll
Is building a Toyota Yaris rally car a good idea?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
17 votes were received.
Yes 4

24%
No 11

65%
Build Dodge Neon 1

6%
Build other car 1

5%

I was looking for fwd cars that sounded promising to build into a stage car, and found a Toyota Yaris hatchback for sale for a good price. I know there are a few of them that race. I'm wondering if any of you think this would be a good idea or would I be better off with a Neon?

-Zack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 08:20PM by zack13277.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
MattP
Matt Pullen
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

Re: Toyota Yaris Stage Car
May 25, 2015 08:52PM
Dude just build what you want to build and have fun, it works, believe me.... you may even shock a few people with it!

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

May 26, 2015 12:10AM
What percentage of your total budget would be eaten up by the good price?
zack13277
Zack Rondeau
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Mazda RX7

May 26, 2015 04:25AM
Probably, 25%.

-Zack
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

May 26, 2015 06:24AM
https://www.rally24.com/suspension-and-brakes/proflex-jumbo-2-34813.html

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

May 26, 2015 07:53AM
I would see if you can contact the team that are running one know and ask them their experience on how durable and repairable the car is.

Otherwise build what you want. I do not see much between a yaris and neon other than the neon likely has better power upgrades because of the larger displacement Dodge engines and the SRT cars.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

May 26, 2015 08:14AM
i talked with tag rally sport and the said front control arms are the only thing they've bent. great car! had one very nimble and rotates well on loose surfaces yer stable at high speed on loose surface. macpherson front and generic shocks in rear make suspension setup easy. doooooo it. i was gonna go that route too pricey for my cheap ass

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

May 26, 2015 08:49AM
Do any of the Yarii in NA actually get driven hard? Not to sound rude, but a slower car will not break very many parts.
I have no idea what the suspension looks like, or what the drivetrain is capable of, so I can't really make a judgement call on that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 08:56AM by Robert Culbertson.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

May 26, 2015 08:52AM
MattP
Dude just build what you want to build and have fun, it works, believe me....

Yep, this. smiling smiley It won't change by one dollar how much money you win. winking smiley

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

May 26, 2015 11:47AM
2ZZ-GE or 1ZR-FE FTW.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

May 26, 2015 11:47AM
Robert Culbertson
Do any of the Yarii in NA actually get driven hard? Not to sound rude, but a slower car will not break very many parts.
I have no idea what the suspension looks like, or what the drivetrain is capable of, so I can't really make a judgement call on that.

Being slow or fast does not really effect how well one treats their rally car. Many "slow" cars get abused by running into stuff and messing up corners. Many "fast" cars survive with little abuse because of cleaner driving.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

May 26, 2015 01:18PM
Andrew_Frick
Robert Culbertson

Being slow or fast does not really effect how well one treats their rally car. Many "slow" cars get abused by running into stuff and messing up corners. Many "fast" cars survive with little abuse because of cleaner driving.

And some go and get abused just right.

czwalga
steve czwalga
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

May 26, 2015 03:13PM
Andrew_Frick
Robert Culbertson

I'd disagree. The faster you go the more likely you are to stress parts beyond their limitations. Driving style can definitely have an impact, but speed makes a huge difference.

If you're crashing into things... thats a different story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 03:14PM by czwalga.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 26, 2015 03:29PM
czwalga
Andrew_Frick
Robert Culbertson

I'd disagree. The faster you go the more likely you are to stress parts beyond their limitations. Driving style can definitely have an impact, but speed makes a huge difference.

If you're crashing into things... thats a different story.

Speed is a huge factor, as is weight..
And RATE of acceleration figures too...

Something weighing X and being flogged HARD rams into bumps differently that a thing weighing X but slowly acceleration..
Or coating, or decelerating rapidly..

Thing is though we all hit stuff.
The things that I wish to mitigate is theserious whooops when you drive thru a ditch and hit gnarly nasty stuff..

It's too expensive to DNF on account of one big brain fart.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

May 26, 2015 03:56PM
What advantages does the Yaris have over (insert any other options here)?

I can think of two:
* Any recent, stock car should not have any sort of engine (kept stock of course) or electrical issues (at least with anything that would be kept in a rally car).
* You can spend $$$$ on a R-A National Entry so you can put out a press release lauding your B-Speck win.

Two big disadvantages:
* If you're doing any sort of "development" (anywhere from designing a good skidplate to building a completely custom suspension setup), you're working nearly 100% from scratch. You don't have the experience of tens of Golf/Subaru/Honda/Volvo/Merkur/etc. builds to work from.
* If you want to modify the engine/electrical on something CAN-bus or similarly new, you've probably got a lot of work ahead of you.

If you're building a car just to drive down the road in an event or three (per Anders' stats), then, much like picking a car for rallycross, it doesn't really matter.

If you're picking a car to (hopefully) do many events in, and eventually try and be competitive in, then Yaris wouldn't be my choice.
If you had a sponsor throwing money at you to tow your way to a B-Speck "National Championship", then I'd go Fiesta so you can leverage the stuff that Team O'Neil is doing.
If nobody's throwing money at you to run a late model car, then I wouldn't.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login