Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Volvo 240 pre bent roll cage
June 18, 2015 03:37PM
john vanlandingham
How many cage kits have you installed?
Where were the cage kits from?

Zero. I price myself out of those projects on purpose.
I've helped with a few UK based ones from Custom Cages. FIA homologated rally legal cage kits, which are fine but they are also expensive.
I have yet to see a legal non homologated kit that I would put around myself.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 18, 2015 06:25PM
NoCoast
john vanlandingham
How many cage kits have you installed?
Where were the cage kits from?

Zero. I price myself out of those projects on purpose.
I've helped with a few UK based ones from Custom Cages. FIA homologated rally legal cage kits, which are fine but they are also expensive.
I have yet to see a legal non homologated kit that I would put around myself.

There's a lot out there in the big wide world you need to see.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
alkun
Albert Kun
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 18, 2015 08:58PM
So there are pre-bent cage kits for volvo 240? who makes them and how much are they?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 18, 2015 09:23PM
alkun
So there are pre-bent cage kits for volvo 240? who makes them and how much are they?

Meh all the experts say its too much bother to trouble themselves with, so why even think of it?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

June 18, 2015 09:54PM
john vanlandingham
alkun

Meh all the experts say its too much bother to trouble themselves with, so why even think of it?

oh my glob.

some of us are still interested in how this all might work out!! do i start planning on finding a tube bender or are enough of us gonna stay focused enough to keep this worth mr v's time?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 19, 2015 05:58PM
alkun

It's hard to say. John hints at that there might be but then in the same breath he rants about legality of the designs and how stupid the US rules are which makes me think that they are a design that is not legal to the current standards as they apply in the USA or Canada. Which we know we aren't going to change.
Selholm make or sell one?

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 19, 2015 09:03PM
NoCoast
alkun

It's hard to say. John hints at that there might be but then in the same breath he rants about legality of the designs and how stupid the US rules are which makes me think that they are a design that is not legal to the current standards as they apply in the USA or Canada. Which we know we aren't going to change.
Selholm make or sell one?

Rants..
anybody who calls legitimate complaints about the selective choosing of one set of rules and applies it to everything and calls it ranting can kiss my ass.

You misses the point that it was a response to your 'oh I can't be bothered to work for less than $125 an hour or I'd be buried with blah blah" and the equally rediculous "I've never seen a...."
The thread was asking about pre-bent kits, I asnswered those guys---and a couple more who are interested..

They didn't ask if YOU were interested.. The subject is not always YOU and what you know---and what you don't know...

I'll keep my sources to myself. They're legal for CARS and for NASA and as far as one can tell about anything from RA which means whatever whim strikes them that day...

Thank you for your interest.

Now maybe go post on Facebook about the latest handbrake handle you've discovered.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 19, 2015 10:13PM
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

June 20, 2015 08:56AM

Some nice stuff there, but those double-bends on the Rustang door bars give me the heebie-jeebies. They've probably been over-engineered to encapsulate the occupant perfectly, but I just think of this stuff...

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

June 20, 2015 12:06PM
that 5k starting price is, uh, a lot. seemed like an article made to push people in the direction of big money capitalism, spendspendspend.

i got these major points from that link:

kits suck unless you pay 3k.
cages are beyond your skill level.
paying less than 5k for a cage will probably kill you when you roll or hit something.

maybe i'm just feeling the communism of my ancestors, the spirit of broz tito. where groups of guys would get together to mold a crappy yugo into a gravel chucking beast. community.

i'm ranting. blah.
MattP
Matt Pullen
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

June 20, 2015 12:36PM
Paul Buck
that 5k starting price is, uh, a lot. seemed like an article made to push people in the direction of big money capitalism, spendspendspend.

i got these major points from that link:

kits suck unless you pay 3k.
cages are beyond your skill level.
paying less than 5k for a cage will probably kill you when you roll or hit something.

maybe i'm just feeling the communism of my ancestors, the spirit of broz tito. where groups of guys would get together to mold a crappy yugo into a gravel chucking beast. community.

i'm ranting. blah.

Before I started building the truck I got a couple of quotes from around me in Calgary. The first was $3500 from Derek in Didsbury, he is the main rally cage guy around these parts and as such is super busy. The second was from a welding shop just east of town $5500 to start, can go up depending on the amount of extra work they have to do. Both of these are out of my range, and as there is no such thing as a prebent cage for a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge, believe me I looked! I did the next best thing, build my own. I spent 6 weekends building it, if my time were paid it would of course been over the $3500 price tag. I've been around race and rally cars from the mid 80's and have seen good, bad and omg cages in that time on both sides of the atlantic. In fact we had a competitor have a "drift car builder" do a cage last year for $3500, it was so bad they had to have another shop fix and finish the cage just to get a logbook. We use the FIA standard for CARS cages, as do the majority of major series along with localised tweeks. The local CARS tech and scrutineer director was a big part of the build process. Is it as pretty as the expensive ones, no. Is it safe and over built, hell yeah. And I can say I've built my car from scratch.

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

June 20, 2015 12:40PM
I am also thinking of build it myself for the same reasons. Can buy a really nice welder and bender and still be $2k ahead.
Matt do you want to sell your bender?
I would look at a pre-bent kit for my Golf if there was a GB going on to save shipping.

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

June 20, 2015 01:27PM
ElectroTech
I am also thinking of build it myself for the same reasons. Can buy a really nice welder and bender and still be $2k ahead.
I would look at a pre-bent kit for my Golf if there was a GB going on to save shipping.

from what i hear from the birdies we should have more info about these pre-bent cages monday or tuesday and i do believe the golf has been included in this inquiry.

if the gb or quality of the prebents is not up to snuff then i will be doing the same thing and getting what i need to do it myself. hopefully with the support of other 240 guys who have done it themselves.
MattP
Matt Pullen
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

June 20, 2015 01:47PM
ElectroTech

Both the bender and notcher are a buddy of mines, I'm sure that instead of selling it he will do a beer rental deal to keep the costs down for everyone. I have a contact here in Cowtown for DOM if you need some.

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

June 20, 2015 02:00PM
Thanks Matt,
I will take that info.
Steve

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login