Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Volvo 240 pre bent roll cage

Posted by Sean Edwards 
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

Re: Volvo 240 pre bent roll cage
June 20, 2015 05:42PM
Paul Buck
that 5k starting price is, uh, a lot. seemed like an article made to push people in the direction of big money capitalism, spendspendspend.

i got these major points from that link:....

Well, that's the shop I work for. I've now done about a dozen cages. I've been party to two Custom Cage builds. I've even bult a few tube-frame cars and rebuilt a monocoque car.

If you are going to do it yourself, the Custom Cage route is accptable.

If you are going to drag a kit to a shop for install, unless the FIA certified kit lets you get away with a cage that wouldn't otherwise be allowed, it's not worth it.

My first cage was rough. The fit wasn't great. It cramped the occupants in a car that was already cramped before it was caged. It didn't provide any wheelwell intrusion protection. But it was relatively safe and tightened up a soft tub. The second cage survived a huge roll in Mexico without any deformation. The WRC inspectors poured over it and declared that if we could put the car back together we could continue (a bent cage would mean forced retirement). Learned from the first cage how to leave more room for the driver and not add a thousand bars. The subsequent cages have all been better and better. Better fitup, less weight, tailored to their rule set, or optimized to work in multiple rule sets so the owner has options on where to run it, or where to sell it when they are done.

FWIW, I wouldn't use those double bend door bars in a rally car that is more likely to see point loading. I'd use a parallel "X" that stuck out into the door. But that white Mustang was built to a rule set where the inspectors like that style and request it. For bumper-to-door impacts commonly seen in wheel to wheel racing, it works well. There are other cages on our site that have odd requirements, like the land speed racing cage, or the drag car cages that most rally people would find horrifying compared to their rally cages.

And yes, our typical cage job is a $4500-$5000 bill. We've got fabricators that do good work and want to make a decent wage. We have overhead costs. When you ask us for a cage, because you trust our judgement and value our work, we chage enough to cover cover our costs, make -some- profit, and stay in business. Enough people like our work, that for large jobs we are booked for months ahead.

If you can do it yourself, I think you should. But tooling up to do a cage properly can be a little expensive. Getting a few things wrong with it may only be an inconvience (like banging your elbow every time you turn left) and it's unlikely that you will build a truely unsafe cage with the resources available on this forum. That said, there are some things to be gained by going to a shop with a good reputation and being able to examine their work before you shell out for a premium product. Have them explain why they do some of the bar routing. Do you not like plinths? Then they can pop off the roof to weld the top of the cage. Want some features they don't do? Ask them about it. There may be a reason they don't do it that way.

Jason McDaniel
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

June 21, 2015 12:11PM
fathers day is the perfect day to call dad and tell him i still have foot-in-mouth disease! just like he always said!

i appreciate the info jason, it helps immensely to learn from those whom have done it many times.

and i meant no disrespect, just sayin' it's too rich for my first build. gotta have money left over to actually race! just hope my first cage turns out well enough.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 21, 2015 12:32PM
Paul Buck
fathers day is the perfect day to call dad and tell him i still have foot-in-mouth disease! just like he always said!

i appreciate the info jason, it helps immensely to learn from those whom have done it many times.

and i meant no disrespect, just sayin' it's too rich for my first build. gotta have money left over to actually race! just hope my first cage turns out well enough.

Father's day is a great day to teach my girls how to change an inner-tube in the bike I just got Anna...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

June 21, 2015 01:07PM
john vanlandingham
Paul Buck

Father's day is a great day to teach my girls how to change an inner-tube in the bike I just got Anna...

First, take all of daddy's tools and put them EVERYWHERE but where they should be. Wait, that's my boys. And I'm pretty sure they learned it from watching me.

winking smiley

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 21, 2015 11:30PM
We snuck out and got a few laps in at the local MX track for Fathers day.

Jason's post reminded me of one other point. If you can "borrow" another someones car to park at your place for a week or two while you start fitting some of your tubes it makes a huge difference in your decision making process. Having a reference to copy, or "dont do that" from was awesome. Even if it's not even close to the same model of car.
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

August 01, 2015 01:31PM
Hey John, where are we at with this?

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login