Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

One piccie says almost all. Save money, be faster.

Posted by john vanlandingham 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: One piccie says almost all. Save money, be faster.
August 10, 2015 12:20PM

Close, but not quite there.

In all seriousness, Don is likely a troll so stop feeding him, I even have a sense of a former member/contributor here that he sounds alot like...

Rally schools in US are mostly an experience thing. Sure they give an introduction and allow vacation driving experiences to people that aren't actually willing to make the huge commitment it takes to actually participate in the sport. I'm cool with that, it is a small industry that employs a few people I call friends and exposes a few more people to rally. Some even leave and decide they MUST build a rally car. I can't imagine how all don't since it only took me volunteering at a rally to make that decision, and my first event was less than five months later.

I keep telling people, build it simple and quickly and go race it. You can rally on stock struts, drum brakes, and with a severely underpowered car and you will have a blast. You can come cruising into the final control and surprise the workers because they were certain no one else was coming and be like 30 minutes slower than the next guy. You can crash three miles into your first rally and stay up all night to fix the car in 30 degree humid Missouri. And despite all this, you will have either do like I did and have a blast and be addicted, or you will hate it and can move on to something else and not spend more time and money on it.

Practice is important. Listening is important. Worrying about perfecting techniques before learning how to overcome your own fear of speed is the largest hurdle. Turbo and AWD are the biggest crutches to this as you can just drag race the straights where no one is really afraid and be scared shitless in the corners and still set okay times.

My three year old thinks almost every car is a sweep car when we watch US rally videos. Might be difference in roads, videography, drivetrain, and commitment between US rally and Group F.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hitempguy1
Banned
Ultra Moderator

August 10, 2015 02:30PM
NoCoast

In all seriousness, Don is likely a troll so stop feeding him, I even have a sense of a former member/contributor here that he sounds alot like...

I had to re-register as I can't stop loving the hilariousness and groupthink that goes on in rally anarchy and I just wanted to chime in this one time. I've been viewing since I've been banned with a bit of bemusement, and I doubt I'll start reposting anytime soon, but in "Don's" defense:

First, am I the only one who gets the name? Its not his real name (I think), and if it is, well played to his parents. Well played.

Second, lets all listen to the slow guys in this thread and their thoughts on how to go fast. Especially the one who rode a dirtbike and THINKS it applies to rallying. Because #groupjerkoffsession #europeansarebetter #rallyconformity

I think people like MConte are the ones to aspire to (he's pretty darn good, worked his way up, and has done it on a budget). Brenton Kelly seems like it to, but it feels like there is more to his story (and he also seems to get a bit of help from FY Racing since he works for them, an almost invaluable and hard to quantify bonus of his job). Annnnnnnnnnnnd I'm out smileys with beer
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

August 10, 2015 04:07PM
So Adam,I'm not trying to argue -just curious why you are calling the posters in this thread (besides Conte)slow...just because they agree with John?

Whom perhaps. :| you may have some issues with....

Personally I think Grant put it best in his last post.

I mean come on,does Don or anyone else here think that John is actually saying that all you have to do is literally stare at a photo of a very talented driver to become a great driver yourself...that ain't too bright.

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 10, 2015 04:58PM
hitempguy1
I had to re-register as I can't stop loving the hilariousness and groupthink that goes on in rally anarchy and I just wanted to chime in this one time. I've been viewing since I've been banned with a bit of bemusement, and I doubt I'll start reposting anytime soon, but in "Don's" defense:

First, am I the only one who gets the name? Its not his real name (I think), and if it is, well played to his parents. Well played.
So in his defense, you are agreeing that he is probably nothing more than a troll brought here to try to roil John up? Or just came on here to insult everyone else with your over inflated self of importance. Groupthink? Says the guy who drives a Subaru...

hitempguy1
Second, lets all listen to the slow guys in this thread and their thoughts on how to go fast. #groupjerkoffsession #europeansarebetter #rallyconformity
So, more insults. You should probably just go back to NASIOC now.

hitempguy1
I think people like MConte are the ones to aspire to (he's pretty darn good, worked his way up, and has done it on a budget). Brenton Kelly seems like it to, but it feels like there is more to his story (and he also seems to get a bit of help from FY Racing since he works for them, an almost invaluable and hard to quantify bonus of his job). Annnnnnnnnnnnd I'm out smileys with beer
I'm not really sure what your point is here. Matt has pretty much done exactly what I said above and rallied a smart, simple, and decent car and focused on getting as many stage miles in. I would agree, he is a good person to take as an example. How about John Cassidy or Colin McLeery or Tony Chavez or George Plesk or Brian McGuire or Bob Olson or Michel Hoche Mong or Erik Christiansen or Eddie Fiorelli or Henry Krolokowski or the tens of others that have done a ton of events at a level that works for them, some fast and able to win, others perhaps more mid pack?
You seem to imply that the privateer must be fast or able to win to consider what they are doing is worthwhile or worth examining.

Grant Hughes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2015 02:03PM by NoCoast.
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

August 11, 2015 09:40AM
Oh that inside line...

hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 12, 2015 12:32AM
Well, color me miffed. Grant didn't include me in his list. Hmph.

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 12, 2015 02:03PM
hoche
Well, color me miffed. Grant didn't include me in his list. Hmph.

Fixed and added a few more that sprang to mind once I thought of California.

Grant Hughes
Travis
Travis Nease
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2004 WRX STI

August 12, 2015 06:55PM
My first post on here and I have to say thanks for the great entertainment this thread has created. I have 2 stage rallies under my belt, I am the know all on this topic!! smiling smiley

On a serious note, that picture is a great depiction of what we are trying to do out there.

Travis
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 12, 2015 06:58PM
Travis
My first post on here and I have to say thanks for the great entertainment this thread has created. I have 2 stage rallies under my belt, I am the know all on this topic!! smiling smiley

On a serious note, that picture is a great depiction of what we are trying to do out there.

Travis

Yeah sometimes a single photo can be real insight...

Which events you do? Oh you have a PM about this--a message for you:
http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?8,41104

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Travis
Travis Nease
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2004 WRX STI

August 12, 2015 07:13PM
I recently did OTR and Olympus. S l o w l y improving..
Attachments:
open | download - 11164647_10206054140169069_1799601932247480866_n.jpg (28.3 KB)
11164647_10206054140169069_1799601932247480866_n.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 12, 2015 09:46PM
Travis
I recently did OTR and Olympus. S l o w l y improving..

DOOOD! One piccie and I see the problems!
a) yer car ain't blue
b) the wheels are black or sumpin like black

Black wheels are only for THE BIG BOYS...

can't anger the Rally Gods.

Paint those!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

August 13, 2015 08:41AM
Travis
My first post on here and I have to say thanks for the great entertainment this thread has created.

Travis

Welcome Doc! Glad to see you here. Are you planning on doing Mt Hood in October and Wild West in November?
Travis
Travis Nease
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2004 WRX STI

August 13, 2015 10:11AM
Yes I will be doing those and Pacific Forest as well.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

August 13, 2015 02:27PM
I'll be seeing you at hood, and maybe WW or PFR. Not sure yet. You find a Navvie yet?
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

August 13, 2015 04:14PM
I think I heard somewhere that PFR has changed dates to Oct 23/24, the weekend before Rocky Mountain Rally (Oct 31/Nov 1)

There's a good winter event in early December as well isn't there?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login