Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

One piccie says almost all. Save money, be faster.

Posted by john vanlandingham 
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

Re: One piccie says almost all. Save money, be faster.
August 13, 2015 04:18PM
hitempguy1
First, am I the only one who gets the name? Its not his real name (I think), and if it is, well played to his parents. Well played.

yup, parents have an odd sense of humour.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

August 13, 2015 04:23PM

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 13, 2015 04:28PM
ALS FTW
hitempguy1
First, am I the only one who gets the name? Its not his real name (I think), and if it is, well played to his parents. Well played.

yup, parents have an odd sense of humour.

From now on, Adam shall be called Sancho.

Grant Hughes
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 13, 2015 05:13PM
There are many Johns in the world, and many Keiths as well, but Adam...is Sancho.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Travis
Travis Nease
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2004 WRX STI

August 13, 2015 06:19PM
ALS FTW
I think I heard somewhere that PFR has changed dates to Oct 23/24, the weekend before Rocky Mountain Rally (Oct 31/Nov 1)

There's a good winter event in early December as well isn't there?

Yes sir that is correct, PFR is now Oct23/24, so it looks like everything is crammed together like OTR and Olympus this year. Mt Hood Oct 17th, PFR Oct 23-24 and Wild West Nov7th, this will equate to me driving again conservatively, gotta get as many stage miles as possible. If the car is still good to go, I will be doing Big White as well.

My hope is eventually "conservative" driving will become fast driving with more seat time.

See y'all out there.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 13, 2015 08:26PM
Travis
ALS FTW
I think I heard somewhere that PFR has changed dates to Oct 23/24, the weekend before Rocky Mountain Rally (Oct 31/Nov 1)

Yes sir that is correct, PFR is now Oct23/24, so it looks like everything is crammed together like OTR and Olympus this year. Mt Hood Oct 17th, PFR Oct 23-24 and Wild West Nov7th, this will equate to me driving again conservatively, gotta get as many stage miles as possible. If the car is still good to go, I will be doing Big White as well.

My hope is eventually "conservative" driving will become fast driving with more seat time.

See y'all out there.

Of course that goes counter to what is accepted as the norm in many parts of the world.
It is easier to get a fast driver to slow down than get a slow driver to speed up."
Ask any Finn.

Of course seat time is important, but little is learned just sitting there and driving along..
Gotta be dipping the toe in...trying out the waters.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Travis
Travis Nease
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2004 WRX STI

August 13, 2015 08:39PM
john vanlandingham
Travis
ALS FTW

See y'all out there.

Of course that goes counter to what is accepted as the norm in many parts of the world.
It is easier to get a fast driver to slow down than get a slow driver to speed up."
Ask any Finn.

Of course seat time is important, but little is learned just sitting there and driving along..

Finishing mid pack for my first 2 events is ok. Conservative doesn't necessarily mean slow, but I suppose I don't know what I am doing. Should I be placing top 3 after 2 events? Went well over 100mph on a few of the stages so I don't think fear is the problem, I am just trying to drive correctly on gravel roads.
I am all ears for making me faster though… teach me
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 14, 2015 12:27AM
Travis
john vanlandingham
Travis
ALS FTW

See y'all out there.

Ask any Finn.

Finishing mid pack for my first 2 events is ok. Conservative doesn't necessarily mean slow, but I suppose I don't know what I am doing. Should I be placing top 3 after 2 events? Went well over 100mph on a few of the stages so I don't think fear is the problem, I am just trying to drive correctly on gravel roads.
I am all ears for making me faster though… teach me

Going camping trip down towards Yakima in 12 hours, not enough time to teach you just now..
Maybe ask a real hero like Donkey Oats or his much faster buddy hitempwhassisname1 Adam Vokes. He's said he knows everything and from the sounds of its he's as fast as Crazy Leo or L'stage or even Sebastian Loeb... he's itching to tell the world how everybody but he is an idiot..
he's driven at least 5-6 events and only flipped 3-4 times so i guess he's THE MAN...

Maybe if he hasn't taught you everything by time we're back from camping you can drop by and we can drinks some tea and talk..From anywhere near a freeway in the area its quck to get here, just n of Sea-tac...talking about and around the subject works a lot better in person than typing.

Just remember this old story from good ol Chaung-Tzu who was buddies with my old favorite Lao-tzu
子獨不聞夫埳井之鼃乎?謂東海之鱉曰:『吾樂與!出跳梁乎井幹之上,入休乎缺甃之崖;赴水則接腋持頤,蹶泥則沒足滅跗;還虷蟹與科斗,莫吾能若也。且夫擅一壑之水,而跨跱埳井之樂,此亦至矣,夫子奚不時來入觀乎!』東海之鱉左足未入,而右膝已縶矣。於是逡巡而卻,告之海曰:『夫千里之遠,不足以舉其大;千仞之高,不足以極其深。禹之時十年九潦,而水弗為加益;湯之時八年七旱,而崖不為加損。夫不為頃久推移,不以多少進退者,此亦東海之大樂也。』於是埳井之鼃聞之,適適然驚,規規然自失也。

The frog lived down in a well where there was all he had to live. One day, a softshelled turtle came by and told him about the sea. 'The sea? Hah! It's paradise in here. Nothing can be better than this well. Why don't you come down and share my joy?'

The turtle tried, and failed as the mouth of the well was too small. 'Why don't you go see the sea instead? During Yu the Great's reign, there was flooding for nine out of ten years, yet the sea barely grew an inch. During Tang of Shang's reign, droughts were experienced in seven out of eight years, yet the sea hardly shrank. Being unaffected by such disasters is the joy of living in the sea.'

The names the frog of the bottom of the well (井底之蛙) and glancing at the sky at the bottom of the well (坐井觀天) were not original titles by Chuang-tzu. The philosopher has given the fable no title. Such titles have been made up by others. In fact, the common interpretation of a frog in a well is incorrect. The word 井 had meant 'trap' back then.

Nowadays, both titles have been used as an idiom. The former means a person whose knowledge is so limited that he or she has no idea about anything aside from the world of their own; the latter means the action of being the kind of person mentioned above. Here is an example sentence using both idioms:

他經常在人家面前賣弄地理知識,其實,他只不過是個井底之蛙而已。我還是勸他別坐井觀天好了。

Which translates to:

He always shows off his geographical knowledge in front of others, yet he is simply an ignorant frog of the bottom of the well. I guess I'll advise him to stop glancing at the sky at the bottom of the well.

There are an shocking number of frogs at the bottom of a lot of wells in North American rally..
Sad that it is so just when it is so easy to find out what is happening in the rest of the world..
And everywhere is also in crisis and its often the same crisis..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
hitempguy1
Banned
Super Moderator

August 14, 2015 09:33AM
Hey Travis,

If you want to chat at PFR or BigWhite, I'm game. I'm definitely not fast though, I just know how to work my way onto a podium smiling smiley Dunno what chatting will do (seems to be all John does), my only advice for PFR is to raise the car for princeton cutoff if they throw it back in the mix. Other than that, I just keep 'er pinned until I see baby jesus and then hammer the brakes quickly.

What I see from people pulling the absolute tightest inside line is a whole bunch of flat tires from cutting too much (something pfr punishes you for).

*sniff* you guys are going to make me cry, giving me a nickname! *sniff* Damn Sancho and his practical wisdom, damn him to hell!

Keep on being slow (and butthurt) gentlemen winking smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 14, 2015 11:23AM
hitempguy1
Hey Travis,

If you want to chat at PFR or BigWhite, I'm game. I'm definitely not fast though, I just know how to work my way onto a podium smiling smiley Dunno what chatting will do (seems to be all John does), my only advice for PFR is to raise the car for princeton cutoff if they throw it back in the mix. Other than that, I just keep 'er pinned until I see baby jesus and then hammer the brakes quickly.

What I see from people pulling the absolute tightest inside line is a whole bunch of flat tires from cutting too much (something pfr punishes you for).

*sniff* you guys are going to make me cry, giving me a nickname! *sniff* Damn Sancho and his practical wisdom, damn him to hell!

Keep on being slow (and butthurt) gentlemen winking smiley

No Adam, you can come here and as you have done in every single one of your posts here troll away how everybody heree is slow and how nobody knows anything...come on you claim to be very smart so use logic:
If you know enough from your superior intellect, and you vast experience, and your astonishing speed, and stellar finishing record to continually and endless criticize and redicule others, then thart means you know more..

So don't be a lame little weasel and escape like that, pontificate, hold forth. tell everybody everything they must do..
Must be easy....since you're so unbelievably awesome....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Super Moderator

August 14, 2015 11:29AM
Pro tip for PFR: Finish the rally. Last year had over a 50% attrition rate. Comstock-Kane is rough, fast, and brutal... but oh so much fun!
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

August 14, 2015 11:47AM
john vanlandingham

Going camping trip down towards Yakima in 12 hours, not enough time to teach you just now..

I don't know John. There is some amazing roads out in that area, good sight lines, perfect for teaching and having fun. Bethel Ridge Rd from Hwy 12 to cattle guard at the top is a personal favorite.
hitempguy1
Banned
Super Moderator

August 14, 2015 12:30PM
john vanlandingham

Must be easy....since you're so unbelievably awesome....

smileys with beer It only took 6 years, but you've finally come around. They lie when they say old people never change, look at you go!
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

August 14, 2015 09:13PM
john vanlandingham
Maybe ask a real hero like Donkey Oats...
Never claimed to be a hero, even was clear that I have a lot to learn about rally. Not sure why you seem to want to attack anyone who has a different take on things John.
john vanlandingham
...or his much faster buddy hitempwhassisname1 Adam Vokes.
Some imaginary association doesn't make me buddies with someone who doesn't even know if my name is real or not.

I'd suggest many of us are susceptible to Frogwellian behaviour from time to time... even the great JVL.
Sean Burke
Sean Burke
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Honda CRX

August 16, 2015 10:54PM
NoCoast

Close, but not quite there.

In all seriousness, Don is likely a troll so stop feeding him, I even have a sense of a former member/contributor here that he sounds alot like...

Rally schools in US are mostly an experience thing. Sure they give an introduction and allow vacation driving experiences to people that aren't actually willing to make the huge commitment it takes to actually participate in the sport. I'm cool with that, it is a small industry that employs a few people I call friends and exposes a few more people to rally. Some even leave and decide they MUST build a rally car. I can't imagine how all don't since it only took me volunteering at a rally to make that decision, and my first event was less than five months later.

I keep telling people, build it simple and quickly and go race it. You can rally on stock struts, drum brakes, and with a severely underpowered car and you will have a blast. You can come cruising into the final control and surprise the workers because they were certain no one else was coming and be like 30 minutes slower than the next guy. You can crash three miles into your first rally and stay up all night to fix the car in 30 degree humid Missouri. And despite all this, you will have either do like I did and have a blast and be addicted, or you will hate it and can move on to something else and not spend more time and money on it.

Practice is important. Listening is important. Worrying about perfecting techniques before learning how to overcome your own fear of speed is the largest hurdle. Turbo and AWD are the biggest crutches to this as you can just drag race the straights where no one is really afraid and be scared shitless in the corners and still set okay times.

My three year old thinks almost every car is a sweep car when we watch US rally videos. Might be difference in roads, videography, drivetrain, and commitment between US rally and Group F.

This is the best paraphrasing of entry into rally, and rally strategy I have ever read. Amen brother.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login