2016 plans

Posted by NoCoast 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

Re: 2016 plans
November 02, 2015 03:00PM
NoCoast
Any rallyists at SEMA this week, drop by Waystone Tire DBA Lakesea Tires and Zestino Tires. They'll be displaying their new gravel rally tire that they are making. Booth 42317, south lower. We had been in talks with them about importing tires and were very close to bringing in a set to evaluate but realized that the 512 tires that are required to fill a container are about 500 more than our little humble shop can store or afford. Maybe one of the other rally shops will start importing them and hopefully give us another budget option.

Alibaba lists them at $45/per when you buy a shipping container full of them (approx 600 tires). That's cheap cheap cheap! Maybe they'll be better than Maxxis rally tires. They'll be the hot new thing!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

November 02, 2015 04:33PM
Hmm.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 02, 2015 05:07PM
Robert Culbertson
NoCoast
Any rallyists at SEMA this week, drop by Waystone Tire DBA Lakesea Tires and Zestino Tires. They'll be displaying their new gravel rally tire that they are making. Booth 42317, south lower. We had been in talks with them about importing tires and were very close to bringing in a set to evaluate but realized that the 512 tires that are required to fill a container are about 500 more than our little humble shop can store or afford. Maybe one of the other rally shops will start importing them and hopefully give us another budget option.

Alibaba lists them at $45/per when you buy a shipping container full of them (approx 600 tires). That's cheap cheap cheap! Maybe they'll be better than Maxxis rally tires. They'll be the hot new thing!

Figure on probably $6k or so for shipping said container.
Don't forget the 88% tariffs too.

Waystone claims to have recruited a Maxxis engineer. The tire looks nearly identical to a Maxxis.

We are holding out hope for something good from Hoosier. We have discussed US based manufacturing with one small manufacturer that still makes tires in USA.

Maxxis won't last long, manufacturer distributed tires never do. There are maybe 400 active rallyists per year, how many sets of tires can you really sell and can the market really sustain Dmack, Maxxis, Pirelli, Yokohama, Hoosier, IndySport (rallycross primarily), Black Rocket, and Zestino? Oh, and the Polish guys might start bringing in Maxsport. Then there are the cost no object import Michelin/BFG from Europe guys too.

Grant Hughes
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

November 02, 2015 06:53PM
The plan is
Snodrift
100 acre
stpr
summer snodrift
and lspr

No interest in the SP money. Would cost way more to run a 2016 sti in SP class then what the pay is. Unless i won the championship! We all know thats not happening with my driver!

I wish Subaru would spend that cash in a different fromat. SP class sucks!

Interested to see the cost of the new Hoosier tire. Ive always liked Hossiers in the oval track cars.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

November 02, 2015 08:46PM
NoCoast

We are holding out hope for something good from Hoosier. We have discussed US based manufacturing with one small manufacturer that still makes tires in USA.

hoosier seems to kick serious ass in every class they manufacture for, they certainly build to the full extent of rules for classes. Never been know for affordability though.

Who, M&H? i know M&H has brought out new tire sizing at request of certain car enthusiests; can't say i know if they're US made though... Seems like they're in in for the motorsports though, not just the profit.
John Reed
John Reed
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

November 02, 2015 08:56PM
We (FY Racing) have run the Hoosiers for the better part of this year, and have worked with them closely on the development. They are a great tire, and a great company. We previously ran the retarded expensive Michelins. Not sure what the price will be or when they will be in production but should be a great option!

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

November 02, 2015 10:06PM
I'm hoping to get on stage next year.
Pieces lining up for the car, trans just about sorted, suspension handled. Safety side is next, cage, seats and accessories are gonna be the lions share of the budget.
Fingers crossed it will fall into place.

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Perry
Perry Seaman
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
under construction

November 03, 2015 11:43AM
I'll be at my usual eastern NASA events as a course vehicle on the motorcycle again if they'll have me. I'm considering an entry as a competitor on the bike, I'd rather do that on gravel than sand I think.

My wife wants to rallycross, so we'll probably do a couple events in the Columbus Ohio area.

It's also possible that I'll start building a car this year, but I promised myself I'd pay a few more things off first, and we're trying to grow the side biz.. so that might not happen just yet. I'd rather not build anything until I can pretty much buy everything I need and disappear into the shop 100% to get it done in a couple months. I've had too many jackstand projects in the past.. This needs to happen soon though, the kids are getting old enough to codrive.
Perry

Perry

FE570s course bike
KTM 950 ADV
74 Beetle turbo-efi etc..
72 Beetle stage rally project WRX powered
Attended about 15 rallies, usually a volunteer in a course car.
peliwego
Jimmy Pelizzari
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'88 Mazda 323 GTX

November 04, 2015 02:47PM
We're looking at....

SnoDrift
Magnum Opus
Summer SnoDrift
Empire Hill Climb
LSPR

I'd love to get some more funds together for West Virginia. It's just as close as LSPR and we're in MI!

GTX is still mostly holding up... It's been a... process.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 04, 2015 03:30PM
peliwego
We're looking at....

SnoDrift
Magnum Opus
Summer SnoDrift
Empire Hill Climb
LSPR

I'd love to get some more funds together for West Virginia. It's just as close as LSPR and we're in MI!

GTX is still mostly holding up... It's been a... process.

You musta sold your soul to the devil..Must have...(been watching and cheering for ya.)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 04, 2015 04:45PM
Uhoh. Got my Copart account and already bought a crashed car. 97 328i as a donor for the Compact in the driveway. Offered a new friend that's super amped on rallying the opportunity to drive it in 2016 at local hill climb series if he provides labor. See, it can pay to come to shop nights regularly. I'm going to dual use the Chumpcar in hill climbs and endurance track events then probably going to become a dedicated road racer in 2017 and use the Compact for gravel.

Grant Hughes
Kallinen
Jordan Kallinen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Volvo 240

November 04, 2015 10:31PM
Plans for 2016, get my 240 stage ready, and hopefully (dreaming) get some stage miles in.

Jordan
DexterVW
David Baker
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

November 05, 2015 08:30AM
Bigger hair dryer, as many rally sprints as they hold in my area and ESPR... then we'll see how the funds are doing (putting an offer on a house with a garage monday, no more 40 minute drive to my shop)
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 05, 2015 09:17AM
DexterVW
Bigger hair dryer, as many rally sprints as they hold in my area and ESPR... then we'll see how the funds are doing (putting an offer on a garage with a house monday, no more 40 minute drive to my shop)

I fixed that for you!
Our house we moved into last year has so many cool things about it but the 2.5 car garage and 4-5k square feet of cement driveway definitely was a bonus. I almost bought a 1979 GMC tour bus at COpart that sold for $30 to park in the driveway to use as a playhouse for the kids. How cool would that be, and it wouldn't rot over years like the wood ones do and when they got older I'd sell or scrap the bus and probably end up ahead. smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

November 05, 2015 08:22PM
DexterVW
Bigger hair dryer, as many rally sprints as they hold in my area and ESPR... then we'll see how the funds are doing (putting an offer on a house with a garage monday, no more 40 minute drive to my shop)

David, is it only tarmac next year or is there a gravel event as well?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login