Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: 2016 plans
October 27, 2015 10:15AM
northcoast
NoCoast

I spoke too soon.

This Morrison has a different plan for 2016. If you watched the video you saw the roll. Trying to figure out if the shell is salvageable. Caging a new shell might be quicker and cheaper.

We'd love to do the full Cascadia Cup if possible but all the US events at a minimum.

Kevin, you have piccies of the whole car post body by crash?

Amazing what a drill and fresh parts can do---you ever check at the dealer what body stampings cost? Not really too bad. Drill drill drill, weld weld weld...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Senior Moderator

October 27, 2015 12:00PM
The problem is the thread is about plans for 2016 and I'm pretty sure the rules in Canada for 2016 won't allow 'real' studded tires so any discussion about them is beyond moot.

Even without 'real' studded tires, everyone who comes to Big White seems to have fun, and that's what it is all about.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
John Reed
John Reed
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

October 27, 2015 12:10PM
I apologize for mentioning Big White. HAHA

I have never heard anyone say Big White isn't a blast. The tire situation is what it is - has nothing to do with the rally itself that is just a rules of the road where the rally takes place situation.

My car will feel slow there because of said tire situation. I could still run it and have fun, or I can work on a different project that I dream of running at Big White. The latter of the two sounds like more fun to me, and it is just a personal choice and nothing more.

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

October 27, 2015 12:10PM
Here ya go...

I think cutting the top off a donor car and welding it on to this one is probably our best bet. Bang out the rear quarters and slap on some "new" fenders and bumpers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 04:03PM by northcoast.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 27, 2015 12:55PM
We've all heard the discussion on studs and its a moot discussion unless we end up with a situation that allows it. Which I'm working on and will be sole supplier of the 350 a tire that will be the tire to have. Kinda like Rocket rally does. smiling smiley Put the best drivers on the tire you sell and everyone will want it.
Sonic is coming along. Should be done at our shop within next week or two. Turned top mounts down so they'd fit in hole and gotta drill some stuff and buy some hardware. Rear top mounts are fabricated and will go in tonight.
Not my favorite project we've taken on but definitelyone we are learning alot about business operation. If we billed realistically we'd be into cage cost range just on dash removal and refit.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 27, 2015 01:51PM
northcoast
Here ya go...

I think cutting the top off a donor car and welding it on to this one is probably our best bet. Bang out the rear quarters and slap on some "new" fenders and bumpers.

Your piccies din't work..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

October 27, 2015 01:52PM
Weird. I see the pics. Emailed you copies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 01:59PM by northcoast.
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

October 27, 2015 02:09PM
NoCoast
We've all heard the discussion on studs and its a moot discussion unless we end up with a situation that allows it. Which I'm working on and will be sole supplier of the 350 a tire that will be the tire to have. Kinda like Rocket rally does. smiling smiley Put the best drivers on the tire you sell and everyone will want it.
Sonic is coming along. Should be done at our shop within next week or two. Turned top mounts down so they'd fit in hole and gotta drill some stuff and buy some hardware. Rear top mounts are fabricated and will go in tonight.
Not my favorite project we've taken on but definitelyone we are learning alot about business operation. If we billed realistically we'd be into cage cost range just on dash removal and refit.

if you guys end up taking pictures along the way I'd love to see them, out of curiosity sake. I'm the guy on facebook a few weeks ago that was asking questions, who had owned a Sonic and despised it (as a daily car). It was the polar opposite of a "hot hatch"
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 27, 2015 02:27PM
Paddy1337
if you guys end up taking pictures along the way I'd love to see them, out of curiosity sake. I'm the guy on facebook a few weeks ago that was asking questions, who had owned a Sonic and despised it (as a daily car). It was the polar opposite of a "hot hatch"

I drove it a block to gas station and I would have to agree. It felt floaty, underpowered, and loose steering. JVABs, exhaust, cage, and hopefully one of the aftermarket steering controllers will fix most of those issues.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 27, 2015 06:32PM
northcoast
Weird. I see the pics. Emailed you copies.

Doooooood.
Deffo drill spotwelds and replace sheetmetal...TONS easier and cheaper to do that than re-cage..

You must become one with the spotweld drill, young Luke.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 27, 2015 06:41PM
Paddy1337
NoCoast

The guy was up here in WA working on one of our hydro-dams that had a giant 54 foot crack in it so he came over one day to do some basic measurements and we looked up a bunch on the car--which I suspected was some version of Opel Corsa..
It is..
The motor looks very good---just needs compression and non-emissions cams--big uns.
The gearbox is something called G17....not the same fambly as GMs G16/20 which we all know and love as the one older 90s Kadetts and Astras used so nicely.. but in any case there are very good all clutch plate diffs available and I think we saw alternate final drives...
I think his was stock 6 speed..

The car has potential---direct competitior to Fiesta, so you know without knowing that there will be stuff available...as to cost who da fuq knows..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

October 27, 2015 07:23PM
john vanlandingham

The motor looks very good---just needs compression and non-emissions cams--big uns.
The gearbox is something called G17....not the same fambly as GMs G16/20 which we all know and love as the one older 90s Kadetts and Astras used so nicely.. but in any case there are very good all clutch plate diffs available and I think we saw alternate final drives...
I think his was stock 6 speed..

The car has potential---direct competitior to Fiesta, so you know without knowing that there will be stuff available...as to cost who da fuq knows..

Can't remember, his a 1.4T or 1.8NA?

-Mine was the 1.4, felt like a lemon since day one and had warranty work about 8 times, all engine related.
-The trans, since day 1, grinded if shifted at "high" RPM; not aggresively, just at higher RPM. It was a 6-spd, not sure if the same model trans. Clutch feel... to say sponge would be a complement.
-Handling could be summed up with body-roll, it was ludicrous, and just the wipers made it rock back and forth at a stop light.
-Brakes: I'd love to tell you, but the intrusive ABS programming never let me experience them- they were so bad I brought them in to the dealer for malfunction and was told they're fine. Rear drums as well, what year is it, Chevy? That ABS activated every day, over seams in the road, at the hint of sand (I'm in NC Sandhills)
- the traction control was equally as intrusive but could be disabled partially. Still nearly got me stuck at Sandblast, when in "off" mode.
- Gearing, It has the tallest gearing of any car I've been in. I bet mechanically without power/wind it could go faster than a Z06.

Grant is surely right, that with the right changes it'll be much better undoubtedly. But a much better version of a car I hate that much, is still probably a car I hate.
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

October 29, 2015 09:40PM
1. Sell Duplex, clear 30K, pay off everything.
2. Hope Grant is still offering caged Beemers for 5k,ish.
3.??????
4. PROFIT!
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 30, 2015 09:22AM
#3 - start gofundme and facebook advertising campaign.

Grant Hughes
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

October 30, 2015 09:28AM
Well I got hooked up with a door to door sales job that I start Monday so hopefully I wont be (flat)broke and powerless. First pay off my debts then rally (I won't hold my breath). Its commission based but my friend seems to be making some kind of money there.

But even if this fucks up I have a decent resume (for my age), I'm not living in bumfuck nowhere anymore, and I've been studying for my GED so maybe I'll be able to make the pitiful $1000 of spending money I need to buy a Volvo or something not a rusted stickshift cavalier so I can start pretending to be a rallyist. *sigh

I moved to Syracuse, NY. Does anybody know about the job market here? What I have for work experience is McDonalds, ARAMARK (Clarkson food service), construction labor (Helped a chiropractor work on two offices and did odd jobs for him and helped an ex army guy build an addition to his house + a teensy bit of roofing) and landscaping (Basically chilled with an old lady and made her backyard nice). I want to make at least $250-$300 a week but MORE would be nice.

Other than that VOLUNTEER!!! BRS was sweet
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login