dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Hello!
January 03, 2016 09:52PM
Hello all,

I've been a long-time lurker here on Rally Anarchy and decided to sign up and start the conversation here.

I'm just starting my rally adventures, a bit of background:
Been interested in rally since I was quite young, I can remember waking up in the middle of the night to listen to live coverage from WRC rallies and idolizing the group B rally cars (especially the Audi Sport Quattro S2). While discovering other forms of motorsport I found my interest drifting back to rally and even though I followed Rally America, I didn't discover "Grassroots" rally until the utterly amazing experience to spectate at Wales Rally GB in 2013 while working in Germany. I met a few amazing rally folks there who showed me there was much beyond the "top-tier" cars.

After coming back to the states, I volunteered for a few rallies, Hyperfest RallySprint 2014 on the East coast, Prescott Rally 2014 and Seed 9 Rally 2014 in the west. I had caught the bug and knew I wanted to participate, and spent my time researching and reading all I could about how to get started.

For some reason I was drawn to codriving, not just as a starting point, but that it was where I wanted to focus my rally career. I read forum posts, bought Mark Williams and Dave Shindle's books on codriving in North America and immersed myself in what it meant to BE a codriver. I then mustered up the courage to put myself out there as available as a codriver for Prescott Rally 2015, with the thought that I could volunteer if no one responded to my inquiries.

Amazingly I had a few responses even though I clearly stated I had no prior experience, and through some social-media wizardry I found myself in the right seat of a VR6 Jetta for my goal, Prescott Rally 2015.

The Rally went amazingly well until almost the very end after we lost the rear-left wheel due the the all too common VW stub axle failure though. I seemed to have found a rhythm with the notes and had gelled with the driver over the first few stages, and we became faster and faster up until the mechanical DNF, and were on track for a 4th place 2wd finish. Amazingly, even though I got lost in the notes in a few places, he invited me to do the whole California Rally Series (CRS) with him this year (2016). I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible while making a run at the CRS-5 championship this year

After Prescott Rally, I had been in contact with a couple drivers about codriving for ESPR 2015 in New York, though ultimately I did not end up finding a ride. To my amazement, one of the drivers I had been in contact with for ESPR called me back about codriving in 2016! Ultimately he purchased a Mk2 GTI and got the itch to race, and we ended up doing Nemadji Trail Rally (a long tow for him) in Minnesota and did decently well, placing 4th in 2wd and 8th overall (with a total of 16 cars) while still learning the car and each other. For 2016, I'll be riding the right seat with the first driver in CRS, as well as events on the east coast with the second driver, which could potentially be quite busy...

I'm here to read and learn from others and gain as much as experience as possible as I progress through this adventure we call life. I'm starting the very beginnings of a plan to eventually (years from now) build a car to rally, though I mainly enjoy codriving. I feel incredibly lucky to have such a quick start to things, and I look forward to building experience, skills and knowledge OVER TIME along the ride.

My apologies on the long introduction, sometimes I get carried away with explanations. I look forward to speaking with all of you and following some of the builds and the conversations here. I'd love any advice anyone has for a new codriver starting out, or any questions anyone has for me.

Regards,
Ryan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2016 11:32PM by dunhamr1.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: Hello!
January 05, 2016 09:42AM
High five brotha. smiling smiley

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

January 08, 2016 08:59AM
Welcome!

If you can't find a ride consider volunteering and ask to work a control. You will learn the ins and outs of that aspect of the co-driver job by having to do it repeatedly all day. Which will be one less thing you need to concentrate on when you get back in the car. More brain power for going faster!
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

January 08, 2016 02:37PM
Nice meeting you at Nemadji Trail. Good luck in 2016!

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

January 08, 2016 06:44PM
Nice to meet you too Dave, and thank you! It's going to be one heck of a year, I'm looking forward to getting back in the car.

Plane tickets are purchased for Ohio Rallysprint (13 Feb) and CRS Rallyschool (20 Feb), now comes the old rally mantra: hurry up and wait.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 11, 2016 09:56PM
Ryan, remember I said people aren't scrapping Xratties these days and everybody has several if they have one?
Look what I found right in Dallas.
Just for you:

Don Battle Have 2 cars, one is a parts car with no rust and a clean body, but no motor in it now, and the other is a 89 5 speed car no rust, straight body, currently has a blown head gasket, have several engine parts from 2 other cars, and possibly 2 complete motors depending on price
Like · Reply · 4 hrs

Off some faceplace thing..I think its secret like the secret rally page.

I'll see if I can get the guy to talk "depending on price"..Price is everything...
Blown headgasket is---if heard isn't cracked---maybe 4-5 hours casual work if you can make a fist around a wrench.. Gasket is under $15, a new rubber band is under $13, a new tensioner is maybe $35 and while you're in there a fresh water pump is nothing...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

January 11, 2016 10:22PM
John, got a link?

Any idea where he is on price?

Hmmm, ask and ye shall receive it seems. How well do those motors hold up after you replace the head gasket?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login