john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: BIG NEWS! Rally America annouces Big Sponsorship deal in Group 2
February 14, 2016 10:50PM
turoc
I think it was wheeler dealers i saw where they bought some retreads and while visiting the factory i read the label that said "maxxis"
Are there rally tires retreads?

Yeah plenty--although almost all are what the Pommies call "remoulds": bead to bead new rubber..
There is an English brand Max-sport..
There's Black Rocket--and all their stuff is on real rally tire casings or 'carcasses'
There was for years Colway which went to Poland i think and maybe now is the german brand Markgum, theres a French brand that does bead to bead things onm Michelin casins so they have may beloved most favorit-est-est tire the great 14-62 x 15

IF there was a substantial preice difference--like say 90-100 difference then a guy might be able to justify taking a chance on a remould or some off brand from somewhere where their rally is virtually non-existent...but Tiawan man is serious doing far far too much meth...his family should be informed and they'll kidnap him back to some de-tox clinic..
What the Foggs could have been thinking is impossible to begin to guess..
Only ration thing I can think of is coke and whores....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 15, 2016 10:12AM
A spec tire in rally is a new thing. A spec tire in every other motorsport is normal.Lets look at how every other motorsport is doing in America compared to rally? Put on your big boy pants and come rally!

Is the tire the best? nope. Is the tire the cheapest? nope. Is the tire decent priced ,decent wearing tire? yup. Will this save rally nope. Will this tire help the competion be on a even playing field tire wise? yup. Is competition the #1 issue with rally today? yup.

To me big picture is a rally that has deep competition with a rules package built around the core of competition is what needs to happen. A spec tire and class structure based on making cars more equal will help do this. If you want to buy your tires from demon tweeks then do so. This doesnt make the tire illegal the profit still ends up in Maxxis pocket. If you want to go out of your way to derail a contingancy program to maybe save a who knows amount of $ go for it. You are not helping rally as a whole.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 15, 2016 10:59AM
Reamer
A spec tire in rally is a new thing. A spec tire in every other motorsport is normal

No it is not.. Flat, inarguable wrong.---and don't forget there are motorsprts with less than 4 wheels...
I know NO rally series anywhere that forces anybody in a non-single-make cup or series to use one tire

And I had my big boy pants on a long time ago---I was not required to use one tire then..

.Lets look at how every other motorsport is doing in America compared to rally? Put on your big boy pants and come rally!

Aside from circle track, other racing in USA is just a more expensive joke than rally..

Rally is, aside from 1-2 guys who get free cars etc, a amateur, 99.9% grass-roots liesure activity.

So so what what other, unrelated motorsports MAY---or obviously may not be doing...

Look at RALLY.

Is the tire the best? nope. Is the tire the cheapest? nope. Is the tire decent priced ,decent wearing tire? yup. Will this save rally nope. Will this tire help the competion be on a even playing field tire wise? yup. Is competition the #1 issue with rally today? yup.

Oh. I see. So what are you going to say when the fools mandate the only cars allowed to enter must be 2016 Subaru WTX or 2016 Ford Fiestas?
You be saying "great it evens the competition"

The gravel evens the competition.

To me big picture is a rally that has deep competition with a rules package built around the core of competition is what needs to happen. A spec tire and class structure based on making cars more equal will help do this. If you want to buy your tires from demon tweeks then do so. This doesnt make the tire illegal the profit still ends up in Maxxis pocket. If you want to go out of your way to derail a contingancy program to maybe save a who knows amount of $ go for it. You are not helping rally as a whole.

Nobody including MaxxisMan or Wawwy Amewica has the foggist notion of what the contingency will be.

10 bucks off?

Successful competition always has LESS rules and less mandated things and MORE CHOICE than more..
More rules=more wanking about rules and takes away from competition is direct proportion.

For fuckssake look at Beee Spec.. Lotta rules---even if none are inforced except maybe age/type of car---max EVER at any event: 3 entries..Typical: 1 entry.
Lots of rules

It was same in Production class forever..1-2 trophy hunters, but pages of mandated things.

There are NO advantages to increasing participation or entries in forcing people to buy one brand of anything---just because some merchant has quote" "a lotta unsold product I gotta move" and schmoozed some whore official who makes up rules willy nilly...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 15, 2016 12:14PM
Cosworth
Spec tire yay....

Lets see the features and benefits...

Features: Black, round, and sure to suck and cost a wopping $10 less than Pirellis

Benefits: Everybody will be running a shitty tire, so no excuses there, and you're "supporting the sport and in turn "being supported" by people interest in making rally great again... umm sounds like a Trump slogan.

just as an FYI, the prices for the size I run

Maxxis from Demon Tweeks $121.55
Maxxis from Ricky tan RA contingency $220
Pirellis - $230

Well shirley there must be some customs and S&H if you buy from DT, but I still think that paying an extra $99/tire to ricky tan is a but too much.

Maybe people should just order Maxxis R19 from Demon Tweeks instead and see how long this spec tire phenomenon will last.

It's a bit of a gamble. If the customs agent thinks it's a tire from the UK you shouldn't see any customs duty. If they look and see made in China you will see 35-90% customs duties.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 15, 2016 12:50PM
NoCoast
Cosworth
Spec tire yay....

Lets see the features and benefits...

Features: Black, round, and sure to suck and cost a wopping $10 less than Pirellis

Benefits: Everybody will be running a shitty tire, so no excuses there, and you're "supporting the sport and in turn "being supported" by people interest in making rally great again... umm sounds like a Trump slogan.

just as an FYI, the prices for the size I run

Maxxis from Demon Tweeks $121.55
Maxxis from Ricky tan RA contingency $220
Pirellis - $230

Well shirley there must be some customs and S&H if you buy from DT, but I still think that paying an extra $99/tire to ricky tan is a but too much.

Maybe people should just order Maxxis R19 from Demon Tweeks instead and see how long this spec tire phenomenon will last.

It's a bit of a gamble. If the customs agent thinks it's a tire from the UK you shouldn't see any customs duty. If they look and see made in China you will see 35-90% customs duties.

The period covered by the agency’s investigation was from Oct. 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014. According to Commerce’s ruling, Giti Tire Global Trading Pte. Ltd. must pay antidumping duties of 19.17 percent, and Sailun Group Co. Ltd. and its subsidiaries must pay duties of 36.26 percent.

For 65 producers and importers of Chinese tires and their subsidiaries, the antidumping duty rate is 27.72 percent. This group includes such well-known companies as Bridgestone Corp., Cooper Tire and Rubber Co., Goodyear Dalian Tire Co., Hankook Tire China Co. Ltd., Pirelli Tyre Co. Ltd., Kumho Tire Co. Inc. and Toyo Tire (Zhangjiagang) Co. Ltd., as well as dozens of tire companies based in the prime tire-making areas of Qingdao and Shandong.

The countrywide duty for the People’s Republic of China—i.e. those companies Commerce did not specifically list—is 87.99 percent.

Racing tires, trailer tires, specialty tires, off-road tires, non-pneumatic tires and temporary spares are exempt from these duties.

and

Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2016)
Heading/
Subheading 1
General Special
4011 New pneumatic tires, of rubber:
Of a kind used on motor cars (including station wagons
and racing cars):
4011.10.10 Radial................................................................................ Free (A*, AU, BH, 10%
CA, CL, CO, E, IL,
JO, KR, MA, MX,
OM, P, PA, PE,
SG)
.................. 4%
Having a rim diameter of 33.02 cm (13 inches) or
less.............................................................................
No.
Having a rim diameter greater than
33.02 cm (13 inches) but not more than
35.56 cm (14 inches)...............................................
No.
35.56 cm (14 inches) but not more than
38.10 cm (15 inches)...............................................
No.
38.10 cm (15 inches) but not more than
40.64 cm (16 inches)...............................................
No.
40.64 cm (16 inches) but not more than
43.18 cm (17 inches)...............................................
No.
43.18 cm (17 inches) but not more than
45.72 cm (18 inches)...............................................
No.
45.72 cm (18 inches)...............................................
No.
4011.10.50 00 Other................................................................................. Free (A*, AU, BH, 10%
CA, CL, CO, E, IL,
JO, KR, MA, MX,
OM, P,

Finally:

China--for which there is all the brou ha ha about tarriffs is the big red area..
Taiwan is the little tiny green island where the Ultra-nationalist Guomindang fled when they lost the Civil War...

Maxxis is just some label created by Cheng Shin..

Cheng Shin Rubber Ind. Co., Ltd.
8th Fl, World Trade Building 50, Sec. 1 Shin-Sheng S. Rd., Taipei, --->Taiwan,<------- Tel: 886-2-2393-7451 Fax: 886-2-2341-4560

But who knows what that all means in the end.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 15, 2016 01:39PM
Less rules is key to good car counts i agree. Well thought out rules designed around competition is what makes for good competition. eliminating multiple tire manufacturers is a form of less rules. If they say there is a contingency then its a plus to me.

Rally should look at what other racing is doing. You got me I shouldn't of said all racing. I should of said all successful racing has a spec tire rule. A small few are successful with out a tire rule. pedal bikes and super cross racing dont seem to have any tire rules that i know of. Some only have classes with a spec tire like rally America and wrc academy. Nascar, continental tire road racing series, drag racing F1 the list goes on and on of good competitive racing in part due to a spec tire. This rule is only for National 2wd teams at this point. Teams can still rally in regionals with what ever tire they choose.

If Rally America said you can only rally a new car then i would bitch because it doesnt promote for good competition for all involved.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 15, 2016 02:03PM
john vanlandingham

The countrywide duty for the People’s Republic of China—i.e. those companies Commerce did not specifically list—is 87.99 percent.

Racing tires, trailer tires, specialty tires, off-road tires, non-pneumatic tires and temporary spares are exempt from these duties.[/quote]

Maxxis is just some label created by Cheng Shin..

Cheng Shin Rubber Ind. Co., Ltd.
8th Fl, World Trade Building 50, Sec. 1 Shin-Sheng S. Rd., Taipei, --->Taiwan,<------- Tel: 886-2-2393-7451 Fax: 886-2-2341-4560

But who knows what that all means in the end.[/quote]

Interesting. I wonder if they are made in Taiwan then.
I was looking at tariff rates when we were considering the new Lakesea tires. What I saw in the end was if the company wasn't listed with a specific rate then it was nearly 90%! I did not see the exemption for racing tires, as I'm still fighting with UPS Customs house over a $350 duty bill from December though I get to see first hand how efficient that branch can be. I can imagine right now a container stuck in Long Beach gaining daily storage fees until I sent in a payment of 87.99%. I can either pay then contest the duties later or try to fight it while they collect rent.

Black Rocket tires can either be rally carcass or street tire carcass I believe.
IndySport are the best retreads. Won SCCA National Rallycross Championship in Mod4 and the AWD class of the Colorado Hill Climb Association last year.
Stage rallies are too expensive to risk running a retread in my opinion.

I remember when the WRC went to spec tires. The teams were mostly pissed.

Grant Hughes
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 15, 2016 02:18PM
For sure teams will be pissed in the wrc ranks. Nascar teams were pissed to. The competition was better and Nascar had the balls to tell the teams to shut up or go race some where else.

WRC to me is a horrible example of what to do to grow rally. They have horrible competition and huge spending budgets to where a well known F1 driver cant even get proper funding. But they have no spec tire rule either so it must be the best racing organization on the planet!

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

February 15, 2016 02:26PM
RA just posted the prize money for National 2wd. $500 for first place, $300 for second place and $200 for third place. National competitors in Open, Super Production and National Limited Open who race on the Maxxis R19 can win products through a contingency program, with two tires awarded for first place and one tire each for racers who finish second and third.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 15, 2016 02:45PM
So, who is the driving force behind the Quebec spec tire?
I did hear someone saying that the person saying that Maxxis tires wouldn't fit a Fiesta and so they need a Pirelli was also the person selling the Pirelli tires.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 15, 2016 03:18PM
Reamer
For sure teams will be pissed in the wrc ranks. Nascar teams were pissed to. The competition was better and Nascar had the balls to tell the teams to shut up or go race some where else.

WRC to me is a horrible example of what to do to grow rally. They have horrible competition and huge spending budgets to where a well known F1 driver cant even get proper funding. But they have no spec tire rule either so it must be the best racing organization on the planet!

There is more to rally in the rest of the world than just Dubya Arsey.
I would never suggest that we should do anything they have been doing for the last 25 years.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

February 15, 2016 11:46PM
so just to verify.... this essentially means jack squat to all us regional types, right?

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 16, 2016 01:48AM
Gravity Fed
so just to verify.... this essentially means jack squat to all us regional types, right?

Who the fuck knows..The Foggs and little Richie maxxis are too busy annoucing the big deal to bother to release any details..And if they are stupid enough to do this in one Open class, what's to stop them from helping out some other vendor who "has a lotta unsold stock i need to move" and mandate some other stuff as mandated?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

February 16, 2016 01:57AM
Pretty sure us regionals can pool enough cash with most entry lists to make the 1K to spread out between 1st, 2nd and 3rd and still be making money compared to paying for the national license, national entry and the spec tire... Only drawback is you don't get to be mentioned (maybe) on a internet radio show grinning smiley

Please tell me if I'm missing something, but do the math, there is no benefit here.

At least, No benefit for the competitor...

Enablers, All of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 01:58AM by BobOfTheFuture.
Dexter
Dexter Clark
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally all of the things

February 16, 2016 03:52AM
john vanlandingham

What's the news from the Secret Evan Cline owned discussion Group?thumbs up smiley

Everybody just dropping their shorts and wagging their asses?

Pretty much. There's a good handful of people gushing with gratitude. It's kind of pathetic.

I'll very likely never run Rally America National, so I don't much care about this spec tire and contingency crap. It's laughable. Maxxis doing a contingency is great. However, RA making it the spec tire in 2wd is stupid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login