Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

EPA race car thingy...
February 10, 2016 09:09AM
Is this important?

https://www.sema.org/news/2016/02/08/epa-seeks-to-prohibit-conversion-of-vehicles-into-racecars

Bla bla bla

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has proposed a regulation to prohibit conversion of vehicles originally designed for on-road use into racecars. The regulation would also make the sale of certain products for use on such vehicles illegal. The proposed regulation was contained within a non-related proposed regulation entitled “Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles—Phase 2.”

The regulation would impact all vehicle types, including the sports cars, sedans and hatch-backs commonly converted strictly for use at the track. While the Clean Air Act prohibits certain modifications to motor vehicles, it is clear that vehicles built or modified for racing, and not used on the streets, are not the “motor vehicles” that Congress intended to regulate.

“This proposed regulation represents overreaching by the agency, runs contrary to the law and defies decades of racing activity where EPA has acknowledged and allowed conversion of vehicles,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “Congress did not intend the original Clean Air Act to extend to vehicles modified for racing and has re-enforced that intent on more than one occasion.”

Bla bla bla
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

Re: EPA race car thingy...
February 10, 2016 12:11PM
Fear mongering?

Found this

The Environmental Protection Agency has issued a clarification in response to claims that it is proposing a ban on converting road vehicles into race cars.

The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) issued a statement on Monday indicating its intention to fight an EPA proposal to change the wording to the Clean Air Act as it applies to the installation of aftermarket parts that might circumvent stock emission-control devices. But in a separate statement released to the media today, the EPA said that the proposed change is merely intended to clean up the wording of an existing law:

"People may use EPA-certified motor vehicles for competition, but to protect public health from air pollution, the Clean Air Act has – since its inception – specifically prohibited tampering with or defeating the emission control systems on those vehicles," the agency said in its statement.

"The proposed regulation that SEMA has commented on does not change this long-standing law, or approach. Instead, the proposed language in the Heavy-Duty Greenhouse Gas rulemaking simply clarifies the distinction between motor vehicles and nonroad vehicles such as dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Unlike motor vehicles – which include cars, light trucks, and highway motorcycles – nonroad vehicles may, under certain circumstances, be modified for use in competitive events in ways that would otherwise be prohibited by the Clean Air Act.

"EPA is now reviewing public comments on this proposal."

There is no wording in the proposal to outline how the rule might be policed and breaches penalized, and RACER is awaiting additional details regarding what sort of vehicles or circumstances might be eligible for exemption. Current modified-production racing takes place under the existing wording of the rules without any EPA intervention.

Even so, the reworded law – if passed – will not go into effect until 2018, and will not be retroactive. Consequently, current race-modified production cars appear unlikely to be affected either way.

Now that did come from here... winking smiley

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/epa-road-car-racecar-conversions-020916
rallytaff
Pete Morris
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Sold.

February 10, 2016 08:13PM
This vile, corrupt un-elected organization of bureaucRATS called the EPA needs to be de-funded and disbanded NOW! They have destroyed God knows how many jobs, eg, coal miners and have tried to control puddles and streams on YOUR own property! Write your letters!
Jens
Jens
Infallible Moderator

February 10, 2016 08:24PM
Nevermind.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 08:41PM by Jens.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

February 11, 2016 03:17AM
rallytaff
This vile, corrupt un-elected organization of bureaucRATS called the EPA needs to be de-funded and disbanded NOW! They have destroyed God knows how many jobs, eg, coal miners and have tried to control puddles and streams on YOUR own property! Write your letters!

I don't know if I'd go that far... continuing to coal mine is like trying to cod fish the grand banks... bad for everyone involved.

I think we all know what happens when we leave environmental protection to the corporate world. History reaks of environmental disasters fronted by corporate "awareness" of the environmental impacts of their actions.

Unless we want to go back to Love Canal days...

So let's not compare a couple thousand race cars to big world environmental issues.

winking smiley
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

February 11, 2016 05:23AM
rallytaff

I'm on your side. EPA has served a great purpose, but for a long time now is way way out of their lane and get to be a dictatorship.

You can't buy a Fucking wood stove that hasn't passed EPA emissions standards. Seriously, a wood stove?
rallytaff
Pete Morris
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Sold.

February 11, 2016 09:30AM
Now they're trying a land grab from low income farmers back east! Bastards!
AaronJMcConnell
AaronJMcConnell
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru Impreza

February 11, 2016 10:22PM
Mad Matt F,
Anti coal? Why do you have even the slightest interest in motorsports? This Al Gore lemmimg rally guy thing is very confusing to me...
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

February 11, 2016 10:47PM
Mad Matt F
rallytaff

I don't know if I'd go that far... continuing to coal mine is like trying to cod fish the grand banks... bad for everyone involved.

I think we all know what happens when we leave environmental protection to the corporate world. History reaks of environmental disasters fronted by corporate "awareness" of the environmental impacts of their actions.

Unless we want to go back to Love Canal days...

So let's not compare a couple thousand race cars to big world environmental issues.

winking smiley
You obviously have no idea as to the efficiency and cleanliness of a modern coal fired power generation plant, it's not an antiquated thing, it's an easy to exploit industry due to its roots and the fact that the Sheeple believe every little "fact" they see on Facebook or in the news.

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

February 11, 2016 11:21PM
I think it's hysterical that if a guy who actually builds and races rally cars questions traditional energy sources he gets railed on here.

The word "anarchy" is in the url ya'll. Be careful...
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

February 12, 2016 06:46AM
+1 for the EPA

Sensible environmental law will take time. They started getting somewhat serious about writing enviro laws in like the 70s. We just gotta wait till the LSD wears off. The EPA is really more of a symptom of evil corporate greed. If companies didn't make rivers, land etc glow in the dark...
AaronJMcConnell
AaronJMcConnell
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru Impreza

February 12, 2016 07:01AM
You clueless beyond belief. -1 for you.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

February 12, 2016 07:47AM
weird posting thing going on... I'll get it sorted.

sorted winking smiley

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 08:05AM by Mad Matt F.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

February 12, 2016 07:54AM
AaronJMcConnell
Mad Matt F,
Anti coal? Why do you have even the slightest interest in motorsports? This Al Gore lemmimg rally guy thing is very confusing to me...

Quoi?

Okay listen, yeah, I’m a hypocritical long haired hippy that drives a rally car. Get over it… can’t we at least think about a better way to do things? If you could have a reasonable amount of torx and giddy-up powered by something other than dead dinosaurs in your rally car tomorrow, would you not take it? Or do you work in the Oil and Gas sector, and are a protectionist?

ElectroTech
You obviously have no idea as to the efficiency and cleanliness of a modern coal fired power generation plant, it's not an antiquated thing, it's an easy to exploit industry due to its roots and the fact that the Sheeple believe every little "fact" they see on Facebook or in the news.

Probably not, I’m not a “coal plant engineer”… but I have actually read good portions of the IPCC reports in the past… Since sometime in the mid 90’s I’ve been involved in some sort of post-secondary “environmental schooling”, with a return to undergraduate work in the late 2000’s for environmental science. It was fun as h$ll being a mature student in a class full of energetic young geos who were "drill drill drill" and hippy vegans who were "solar wind ride my fixie"... winking smiley. I’ve been through grad school in a forest ecology lab since then, with a bunch of folks working on tooling up forestry for climate change, I do trees, but they do climate. it's gonna suck in Quebec in a few years when half the sugar maple bush is dead and gone... I ain’t no sheep reading Fox news.

I never said modern coal wasn’t efficient, I said we’d be better off to not use it (in a very off handed comment), I’m glad Eastern Canada isn’t relying on the cod fishing industry anymore… imagine the CAN dollar if that was the case!

As for using dead dinosaurs to power our world… There is no way around the math, burning a couple million years’ worth of stored solar energy in a couple centuries amounts to opening the oven door in an already hot kitchen.

I’m currently living in a place where Glacier retreat is measured in kilometers per generation, and where Grandma used to step of the train onto the Mer de Glace, and now it’s a 20 minute walk down to reach it…

So yeah...

GO EPA GO! winking smiley

Do remember I started this thread questioning the legitimacy of some EPA do do ha.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 08:02AM by Mad Matt F.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

February 12, 2016 08:06AM
Paul Buck
I think it's hysterical that if a guy who actually builds and races rally cars questions traditional energy sources he gets railed on here.

The word "anarchy" is in the url ya'll. Be careful...

winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login