Cage Design - *UPDATED*

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Cage Design - *UPDATED*
May 01, 2016 11:49PM
Some people are lucky and learn from their mistakes...

Some people are smart and learn from others' mistakes.

Be a schmarty, join the party.

Cue "the Producers"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

May 02, 2016 05:40PM
ElectroTech
Sounds like you still have time....
Not very often you get a quorum on anarchy, take note and really think about what you want to accomplish.

Vinnie:

LISTEN YOU IDIOT! PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO KEEP YOU FROM DRIVING OVER A CLIFF! We are not trying to be assholes or smarty-pantses, we are simply trying to impart years of rally experience TO HELP YOU!

It would be like us building a hill climb special and not taking the advice of the folks running up the hill.

The Talclipse is a PROVEN shitty rally platform and was built in the US as an expedient because Mitsubishi could not import the Evo. Don't be an idiot.

Your friend,

Wilson

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 05:41PM by wvonkessler.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

May 02, 2016 06:18PM
Oh now, now, they're not THAT bad. It's mostly just that they're cramped.

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 02, 2016 07:23PM
hoche
Oh now, now, they're not THAT bad. It's mostly just that they're so fucking cramped that normal humans end up screaming in agony from kinks in the neck--or scram until they whack a tree cause outward visibilty is so appallingly bad..

Actually I showed some Pommie rally guys I was negotiating some swaps--- (1.5 Mitsu 4G63 for one Cosworth Ycool smiley some piccies of 1st gen Eclipsed ---where I could get so easily so many 4G63s---and they said "What? That thing?" and when I said there were many unfortunate souls who had fruitlessly tried to rally them the Poms siad "No way, no fawkin way, not those! You HAVE got to be kidding..."
Gaylants they liked, ALL Evos theu lurved...they paid the mortgage grey market importing JDM cars direct from Japon..

Thing is not only is the cabin awkward and cramped and cuases crippliong injuries, the ungine compartment is jammed solid, no room for a decent intercooler, Grrrrrrrrr.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
frumby
Jason Hynd
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

May 05, 2016 01:17PM
Listen to them! A dozen years ago it made at least a bit more sense. There were more around and there were less options.

I built one. Sure, you'll have fun! But what a waste of money. You can't see shit out of them. I mean it's seriously bad and dangerous. Suspension travel just sucks. Brakes suck. Good motor but it overheats because it's jammed in there.

Really already owning one is a bad reason in the whole scheme. That will save you money for a week.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

May 11, 2016 09:30AM
Ain't ever seen one of these for an Eclipse:

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

May 12, 2016 02:51PM
Vinnie, how is your cage coming along? I am 90% done with the interior stitch welding and will probably be mounting seats and wrapping up rust repair this weekend.
Fly like an Eagle Talon
Vinnie
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

May 12, 2016 08:45PM
Thomas Kimsey
Vinnie, how is your cage coming along? I am 90% done with the interior stitch welding and will probably be mounting seats and wrapping up rust repair this weekend.

Talked to Bob Monday, he started it Tuesday I believe. He told me to call him back Monday, so I'll update you once I hear from him.

I'm hoping it all goes well as I'm having big problems with my suspension right now... AWD sent me used old GABs instead of making me new stuff!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 12, 2016 10:37PM
Fly like an Eagle Talon
Thomas Kimsey

Talked to Bob Monday, he started it Tuesday I believe. He told me to call him back Monday, so I'll update you once I hear from him.

I'm hoping it all goes well as I'm having big problems with my suspension right now... AWD sent me used old GABs instead of making me new stuff!

Send it back, get a refund. Call me..then there's some chance you get something that works correctly..
(I've done E-clips before, guy sid he was surprised and thrilled at the improvements over the Not-so-Warm Bitches)

It has been shown often enough that while he can open boxes and bolt good but insanely priced suspesnion, he really doesn't understand the basics and whoever is doing the final weld doesn't quite grasp the importantce of bolt holes lining up and ears being a very good and flat fit against the knuckle (ask Antoine LeStage about 7 months wait and the other things...It's unfortunate but suspesnion is not something for guys who really don't know rally...
As the recent talk by all the "experienced" ex-spurts showed on the Secret Closed Facebook page showed amply

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Fly like an Eagle Talon
Vinnie
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

May 12, 2016 10:45PM
john vanlandingham
Send it back, get a refund. Call me..then there's some chance you get something that works correctly..
(I've done E-clips before, guy sid he was surprised and thrilled at the improvements over the Not-so-Warm Bitches)

It has been shown often enough that while he can open boxes and bolt good but insanely priced suspesnion, he really doesn't understand the basics and whoever is doing the final weld doesn't quite grasp the importantce of bolt holes lining up and ears being a very good and flat fit against the knuckle (ask Antoine LeStage about 7 months wait and the other things...It's unfortunate but suspesnion is not something for guys who really don't know rally...
As the recent talk by all the "experienced" ex-spurts showed on the Secret Closed Facebook page showed amply

Haha I'm glad you were watching that post, everyone has a different view.... That's what makes it so hard for noobs like me to pick suspension. Allwheelsdriven had good reviews from what I saw... Then I found out later that he took 9 months to get parts to someone.

John, I'll send you a PM. Thanks.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Super Moderator

May 12, 2016 11:11PM
Big delays in delivering product is tough to defend, but some suspension builders have put the blame on issues with the supply chain and the nature of 'special orders' meaning they can't carry an inventory 'cause they don't know for sure what they're building next.

Anytime you get a custom built part there is potential for fitment and build issues. If you hunt around you'll find stories about most suppliers.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 13, 2016 12:08AM
Not Trolling
Big delays in delivering product is tough to defend, but some suspension builders have put the blame on issues with the supply chain and the nature of 'special orders' meaning they can't carry an inventory 'cause they don't know for sure what they're building next.

Anytime you get a custom built part there is potential for fitment and build issues. If you hunt around you'll find stories about most suppliers.

Wow another suspension expert....
He, the poor innocent Oh Pee didn't get his custom made part.. here let me quote the relevant section from above:

AWD sent me used old GABs instead of making me new stuff!

And LeStage got things so custom the ears were like V on one side and ^ on the other and the bolt holes didn't line up from one ear to the other..That's real custom.

And before you derail this guys thread with more banal platitudes...

Don't.
Stick to what you know...whatever that is.drinking smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

May 13, 2016 06:20AM
i'm a firm believer in build what makes you happy.

that said, i have scrapped good solid DSM chassis to use the mechanical parts in 3g, 4g and 5g CSMs the colt/summit/mirage is lighter and has a better seating position.

i would be happy to help you with you DSM but i ask that you google AWD colt or better yet build a Galantra replica an AWD 1g hyundai elantra it's on the same chassis as the 3g CSM or an EVO I-III with a mix of DSM and 1G outlander .

or build the DSM rally it until you crash it then build a CSM it's your call at the end of the day.

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

May 13, 2016 06:30AM
check this out
http://www.lilevo.com/

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Fly like an Eagle Talon
Vinnie
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 Eagle Talon AWD

May 13, 2016 01:51PM
Just to continue derailing my own thread...

Talked to Barrett at AWD. In a nutshell, he's actually been working on my suspension (supposed to be getting pics soon), just hasn't been good with communication. I guess he sent me the GABs to use until he finished the rears. Supposedly getting the fronts soon, like next week or two.

We will see...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login