Posted by john vanlandingham 
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Re: On TV---new stage review.
June 23, 2016 07:33PM
also gran turismo will put winners of online competition in lemans cars and are as well granting fia licenscing points.
computer sims have come along way. if you sat in my dads motion cockpit and ran a lap of the nurburgring on i racing you may retract your statement about how far off sims are. even rbr when modded properly is an insane example and alot of guys racing in the states like mconte05 will tell you dirt rally is pretty close and better than nothing.
unless of course you guys have a double 6 figs job lined up for me to get more seat time in extensively more expensive sports i truthfully hope to prove you wrong over the course of the next couple seasons.

I will agree with you john i bought a 400sm drz last summer and drove the wheels off it and although not a fast bike my wrx seemed slow, rallyx seemed slow and everything was alot easier to react to and gauge. i still say the best rally drivers have spent a good amount of time dirtbiking.

as for reaction cred i'm not some slug who just played vids and decided to race i have a very competitive sports resume in a wide variety of sporting since i was 6. so i have natural abilty of sorts and good sense of balance. musts to be fast in a car or whatevs.

now that i'm done editing and pumping my own tires i'm off to work. make that rally money

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 02:56PM by Snidewhips.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

June 24, 2016 02:16PM
Snidewhips
I will agree with you john i bought a 400sm drz last summer and drove the wheels off it and although mot a fast bike my wex seemed slow, rallyx seemed slow and everything was alot easier to react to and gauge. i still say the best rally drivers have spent a good amount of time dirtbiking.

DRZ is slow. I have one and is basically a scooter compared to a KTM 300 2 stroke. That reminds me, I should probably go dirt biking soon. Also why did you get the silly street version, dirt is way more fun.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 24, 2016 02:50PM
i mentioned that it was slow there thom.
because i'm a 40 year old adult with a job that is physical labor. never rode a dirt or motorcycle for that matter so seemed the responsible route if i wanted to put some trails which it did and was capable of. oh yeah i could every day ride it. not a big fan of load up to use something (even the rally car)
also kinda counter productive to come in with broken limbs if you wanna make an income worthy of rally.
feel free to ask questions i've already mentioned in this post again it's not annoying at all.

Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Super Moderator

June 24, 2016 02:53PM
Thomas Kimsey
Snidewhips
I will agree with you john i bought a 400sm drz last summer and drove the wheels off it and although mot a fast bike my wex seemed slow, rallyx seemed slow and everything was alot easier to react to and gauge. i still say the best rally drivers have spent a good amount of time dirtbiking.

DRZ is slow. I have one and is basically a scooter compared to a KTM 300 2 stroke. That reminds me, I should probably go dirt biking soon. Also why did you get the silly street version, dirt is way more fun.

The silly street version can be a silly dirt version with just swapping the wheels out. You also get the nice and adjustable inverted fork on the SM.

I miss embarrassing the sport bike guys on tight and twisty mountain roads, even with its roaring 30ish hp smiling smiley

I also wouldn't label the DRZ400 as slow. It's no 2-stroke screamer, but it'll power wheelie in 1-2. It's also amazingly easy to ride fast and slide around corners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 02:55PM by Robert Culbertson.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 24, 2016 05:43PM
Snidewhips

I will agree with you john i bought a 400sm drz last summer and drove the wheels off it and although not a fast bike my wrx seemed slow, rallyx seemed slow and everything was alot easier to react to and gauge. i still say the best rally drivers have spent a good amount of time dirtbiking.

as for reaction cred i'm not some slug who just played vids and decided to race i have a very competitive sports resume in a wide variety of sporting since i was 6. so i have natural abilty of sorts and good sense of balance. musts to be fast in a car or whatevs.

Natural ability would be jumping in a car you never drove in a sport--say rally---you never did and making top results..or, since cars can be found which work so well---engines have lots of broad power, 4wd, active center diffs, room for mondo tires, instead say bikes...Never rode a bike, sit on a 250 mx bike and win expert 250 class... that would be "natural" ability.

You say you're 40 and been doing lots of sports since 6, that's 36 years of experience..

Experience is better than "natural" because the whole "natural ability thing" is a social construct..something made up and argued--as if it is a real thing instead of a mental short-cut---for so long and so "creatively" that those who are mentally lazy can say something---and then it filters into the social arena and is accepted as a scientifically proven law..
Experience is decisive...
It doesn't have to be 100% in the one field..Skills and attitudes and understanding are to a large degree transferable, especially by those with flexible minds and curiosity and some ability to analyze things honestly....That's the basis of "Learn in a more demanding environment, then the less demanding environment is easier"...
Smaller minds think that you must do only one thing because skills are "natural" and not transferable.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 24, 2016 08:24PM
never said i was a rocket scientest but my will and determination to suceed has been recognized in alot of platforms of sport as i hope it will be in rally. that much is transferable, you keep mentioning watching vids. tons of video work is done in sport and watching speeds and lines fast cars take through corners is visualization practice. better than no practice at all. better to have an idea of how and why than wing it. sp alotta pf your wind is just that stop reitterating your plain wrong. rallyx is transferable to tight technical sections and learnig where you can take a big chunk of time in a spot and sacrafice to go fast through others (aka no fun sliding)
Us planets all rotate around you as the sun here on RA john no denying that but denying theres other galaxies.... cmon man
If i win a 1st i'm mailing to you.
thanks for the inspiration sunny
ps. video arguments on a thread about video coverage. wowsers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 09:21PM by Snidewhips.
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

June 24, 2016 09:21PM
Snidewhips
computer sims have come along way. if you sat in my dads motion cockpit and ran a lap of the nurburgring on i racing you may retract your statement about how far off sims are.

WANT this gaming rig.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 24, 2016 09:27PM
thats similar to mine, is that motion? there are some for 2000 usd ish that are motion but are sub 170lb people size. that puts me out. if i can remeber the name or link i'll post it. i know theres a fundme to gain mass production money
racingcube is the name stay tuned for links

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 12:33PM by Snidewhips.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 25, 2016 02:34AM
Snidewhips
never said i was a rocket scientest but my will and determination to suceed has been recognized in alot of platforms of sport as i hope it will be in rally. that much is transferable, you keep mentioning watching vids. tons of video work is done in sport and watching speeds and lines fast cars take through corners is visualization practice. better than no practice at all. better to have an idea of how and why than wing it. sp alotta pf your wind is just that stop reitterating your plain wrong. rallyx is transferable to tight technical sections and learnig where you can take a big chunk of time in a spot and sacrafice to go fast through others (aka no fun sliding)
Us planets all rotate around you as the sun here on RA john no denying that but denying theres other galaxies.... cmon man
If i win a 1st i'm mailing to you.
thanks for the inspiration sunny
ps. video arguments on a thread about video coverage. wowsers

Whether you understand it or not I am not disagreeing generally with you and your experience...I'm filling it out.. Sure studying people better, studying people faster--not always the same--studying photos, and straight near meditation or 'visualization' are all know, proven things..And good. I know..I did it for years...I also guessed sometimes I may not understand a set up technique, or a body position at some point but I figured--and found it does work--fuckit, those guys are World Championship contenders, they probably do this in their sleep, I'll just try it and try THAT and then figure it out..or not...But we'll see if it makes a measurable difference...
(Truth is it doesn't matter if you understand something or not, you must do it and do it right, understanding is just the icing on the cake, it comes, f it ever does, after the fact.)
In the end it was a lot more just plain TRUST of guys who were confirmed GOOD--not local California podunk track winners, but Swedish Championship winning--or top 10 level and World championship tp 10 level (in the 70s Swedish Championship was considered harder than World Championship in 250 class because of the depth of the field in Sweden, and the fact that by '75 there were factory support from all the Japanese--most of their engineers were Swedes, their development guys were Swedes and it was the development center for so much--as well as factory Husky, Maico and KTM as well as Ossa, Montesa and Bultaco..It was flat fucking amazing the talent out theirat any given practice session..)

I trusted them---specifically what they DID--because they sure didn't talk a lot..we rode....and rode..and rode..Tuesday and Thursdays from maybe 4 to 9-or 9.30 PM...Monday and Wednesdays off season 4 hours PT. We even talked about studying photos and straight mental visualization "Ya gotta have a picture in your head of what you want to do. You have to be able to see clearly a picture of you doing that corner/start/jump/whatever PERFECTLY..How can you make you body do something if you have no clear idea of what it is you want to do?"

But they were really good..Not just some district of regional level..Best in the country which was the best country in the world, and best or very near to it in the whole world...
The bikes they rode were virtually identical to what I rode, that was clear. Mid 70s KTM was quicker than even the factory bikes..So it was clear the difference, then world championship top 10 level and me B class, was down to me, and not the equipment. It was what they did with the bikes and what I did with virtually the same thing...So I could study and try to DO what they were DOing..
But first I had to figure out exactly, precisely what they I was doing different..

It's late, I just finished a wonderful book and need to sleep and digest that book some.. There's a thought about this playing videos and playing grass-o-cross and their relative u

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 25, 2016 02:48AM
I feel ya old feller, and don't think for a sec. i don't understand what you're getting at. again no disrespect just some friendly point sparring. rest well old timer.

ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

June 25, 2016 08:19PM
Snidewhips
also gran turismo will put winners of online competition in lemans cars and are as well granting fia licenscing points.
computer sims have come along way. if you sat in my dads motion cockpit and ran a lap of the nurburgring on i racing you may retract your statement about how far off sims are. even rbr when modded properly is an insane example and alot of guys racing in the states like mconte05 will tell you dirt rally is pretty close and better than nothing.
unless of course you guys have a double 6 figs job lined up for me to get more seat time in extensively more expensive sports i truthfully hope to prove you wrong over the course of the next couple seasons.

now that i'm done editing and pumping my own tires i'm off to work. make that rally money
Get some dirt wheels off kijiji for that DRZ, find a good rider to chase and go find the tightest single track trails around. A dirt bike feels awesome on the street the same way a super car feels awesome on an airport runway you have miles of room to make mistakes and not suffer the consequences. Press your limits in confined space and you'll get more than just a perception of speed, you will learn consequence that no simulator can duplicate, because as an intelligent being you know better. Not saying break your bones just push it. Thousands of miles of gravel here and you don't have to break any laws driving on it, so many different surfaces, materials, off camber, using the crown of the road to your advantage, braking limits etc. all can be done at or under the speed limit. A game with a vibrating seat and steering wheel with a fake car is entertaining, engaging, and gets your reflexes a little faster but it cannot replace the real thing, and the real thing is no more than 20 mins from your door.

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 25, 2016 08:51PM
sold the drz was gonna get a 690 enduro but the rally car is enough toy for this year. if i take next year off to build a hyundai genesis i'll def do this. i really liked the drz just not the lack of ability to hoghway transit for long stretches without out sackin on the engine (plus i weigh 250) is the 690 similarily good for some tight trails? its only a lil bigger and a lot monpkwerfuller

ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

June 25, 2016 09:29PM
Snidewhips
sold the drz was gonna get a 690 enduro but the rally car is enough toy for this year. if i take next year off to build a hyundai genesis i'll def do this. i really liked the drz just not the lack of ability to hoghway transit for long stretches without out sackin on the engine (plus i weigh 250) is the 690 similarily good for some tight trails? its only a lil bigger and a lot monpkwerfuller
For that kind of money I would buy 2 purpose built machines, an older 220kdx and a 650-900 street/touring bike. What's up with the genesis?

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

June 26, 2016 12:20AM
in the works, trying to find a 2013 or better write off for my rwd rally build if i can get a dealer or factory (yeah right) support. buuuut i may go pre 13 cause 345hp may be overkill/ lots of parts in the junkyard ect.. plus parts are i terchangeble between gens aaaaaand it has a ton of suspension travel

as far as bikes i perfer something i ride all the time and less maint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2016 12:22AM by Snidewhips.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 26, 2016 12:26AM
ElectroTech
Snidewhips
For that kind of money I would buy 2 purpose built machines, an older 220kdx and a 650-900 street/touring bike. What's up with the genesis?

Great advice...Horses for courses...right tool for the right fool...or job or sumpin..

Just to add on to the real bike on real trails: more 'stuff is happening' in a mile of a single track trial that in miles of smooth gravel---kinda why I said I love table tennis---aka pingis when you have good or better opponent..So much is coming at you per minute there is no way to be thinking....just react react react--reflexively...its so fast.
So much coming at you..

Big beast pigs are too heavy--way to heavy for ordinary humans to really wrestle with for very long..

better a 400-420 that is 30 kg lighter......
The bigger engine yeah yeah it CAN make more powerz...If the rider pegs it wide open...
But invariable law of nature is the bigger the engine the less the throttle is opened..

A 400-420 1/2 throttle is better than a 690 opened to half then slammed shut.

In my own experience when i was in best shape 76-79, with resting pulse about 42, stronger than ox (legs) I was best and quickest on my KTM 250 looked at either per lap or at the end of 30-35 minute heat--where it counts---than i was on KTMs 400 or Huskys 390...both had effectively not enough flywheel and it was a fight to put power down on hard dirt with loose junk on top--the typical summer French track. And a smaller bike beat on harder is more fun than a big pig just goosed and coast, goose and coast.
(and before anybody says they 110% all the time, come on, if you were you'd be employed by a MFG team.)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login