Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Lands End Hill Climb
August 15, 2016 10:50AM
Fastest run from Lands End. Quite some time left out there. Goals for next year. 5th place yet only ten seconds back from 1st place in a 5.15 mile long race. Great fun and competition! And the new tire brand we are exploring worked exceptionally!

This was 30 seconds faster than our times from last year thanks to brakes, tires, and consistent shifting!

This was the first real test of Maxxis tires for us on two customer cars (Tasso Koch and Mark Malsom) and another new tire brand that we are looking at importing on my BMW. The new tire is essential a BFG pattern and I ran it in the soft compound and the tire did great! Bent one wheel bad enough to have it hitting the trailing arm. Beat it with a hammer and did three more runs like that and the bead held, slightly leaking 3 lbs loss overnight. Mark and Dave Kern both had debeads on Maxxis tires on very big rocks, though Mark's also had a broken wheel so it is hard to say if it was the debead or broken wheel. Mark bulged two Maxxis tires, Tasso bulged one. It was possible that there was some very large and sharp rock (there were many) on an inside line that these two were hitting with their Makinen levels of commitment and search for speed. All in all though, it was a very good, fun and successful weekend.

The E36 booster delete kit we put together worked amazing in my BMW. I need more testing of the master cylinder sizing, especially in downhill or flat settings but it was excellent on this race. I have a feeling that I chose the setup with too much rear bias for flat or downhill stages.

And now the video. Still quite some time out there. Pretty stoked to end up only 10 seconds behind Dave Kern's S54 powered BMW Compact. Two seconds per mile with way less horsepower! I got out of the car after this run and said to a friend, "If I'm going to go much faster I really need proper rally suspension and some real rally wheels." Luckily wheels will be here next month. Suspension I am still pondering and saving for. Amazed a bit at the abuse I've thrown at the cheapest Bilstein Touring struts though.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Re: Lands End Hill Climb
August 17, 2016 09:33AM
Well I was looking forward to a vid but got a big black box... gotta link to share?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 17, 2016 10:17AM
Grant onboard

Jump to 3:15 on this video to see the lead up to Mark's nearly disasterous spin thanks to popping out of gear mid corner...
Mark onbboard

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 10:18AM by NoCoast.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 18, 2016 02:13AM
Well that looks fun. Do you rent that thing out?

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 18, 2016 02:47PM
hoche
Well that looks fun. Do you rent that thing out?

I could, why wanna come run some hill climbs next year?
It could technically be made legal for rally but there are some quirks to the shell. I'm building a new Compact that will be the main rally car. haven't decided if I want to keep the Goose in tact as a spare car/rental or take parts off it and sell it or park it.

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 18, 2016 02:52PM
I bet you could work out a rental for Dave's 328is for the coming CORE hill climb events. $150 entry fee ($100 annual membership), ~5 mile course or so I think, six runs over two days. Sept 10-11.

Grant Hughes
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

August 18, 2016 05:40PM
Not this year. I'm on track for a nine-event year (3 driving, 6 navving) as it is. Enough is enough. Maybe next year though.

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 12, 2016 02:00PM
And the aforementioned CORE event.
Starts at 1:45. Couldn't figure out how to trim start in new software... Need better GPS for graphic overlay from Racechrono but made for some fun data to look at and find improvements in addition to onboard video. This run I was slower in some spots than previous runs and faster in others.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login