Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

We haven't done this much..talk about our slowly fading sport in a broader social context.

Posted by john vanlandingham 
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

I sure as fork can't afford to play in rallies while trying to get two kids through Waldorf school since our local public schools look like a Walmart vomited in them and teach what you need to know to grind out an acceptable standardized test score.

So I try to play in Lemons, which is as cheap as you can race a car on something that goes left and right without going up against SRT4's in school zones (do those turn at all?). Even so, the safety creep there is getting to the limit of what I can afford (didn't run this year since I didn't want to do it on credit).

The reality is for me that autocross and grass-o-rallycross are too much damn effort for five minutes of first and second gear seat time...yeah it's kinda fun, but not more than $25 fun considering the overall time commitment involved.

I thought some BRAAAAAAAAAP time on my Ski-Doo could balance out these issues, but friggin' climate change is making that more difficult as well!!! #MAGA #fuckfacevonclownstick #JVABROOLS

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

hoche
frumby
It

Ah thank you..

Harumph

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
alosix
Jason Powers
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

The reality is for me that autocross and grass-o-rallycross are too much damn effort for five minutes of first and second gear seat time...yeah it's kinda fun, but not more than $25 fun considering the overall time commitment involved.

I've only been to one since finishing the WRX, and that only to shake it down before we towed out to Idaho for the rally (ended up finding bugs in the tow rig, 6.0L and the dealer put a motorcraft filter in a wix cap.. makes them not even try to start after the filter settles a bit).

If you haven't done something else.. They are sufficient, and mostly cheap. Though now I'm fairly unsure I'll go back to one. The hillclimb series here isn't that much more expensive to get some dirt driving in.

Props for staying out of the CC and fighting the racing urge. I've watched too many people do some really dumb things to themselves. I think I was helping out at KOH one year and a guy pitted near us was in the "I haven't paid the mortgage in 2 months to go racing" club. nuts.

Rally in the states though.. Seems to be doing pretty good despite now having to deal with 2 sanctioning bodies.

Though I guess to put things in perspective, our mechanic when out in Finland was commenting that entries were down for their national series.. Down to 150 or so per event, from ~ 200 in the 'good years'. I don't think organizers in the states would be able to keep an event going with that many cars if anything for just simple lack of practice.

This isn't floor mat anarchy
b00sted
David Barrett
Senior Moderator

fiasco
I thought some BRAAAAAAAAAP time on my Ski-Doo could balance out these issues, but friggin' climate change is making that more difficult as well!!! #MAGA #fuckfacevonclownstick #JVABROOLS

Buy a 2-stroke dirtbike, change a few things to make it perform in the woods(or just buy a KTM), and enjoy life. My 01 CR250 is an absolute blast on single-track trails.
frumby
Jason Hynd
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

Buy a 2-stroke dirtbike, change a few things to make it perform in the woods(or just buy a KTM), and enjoy life. My 01 CR250 is an absolute blast on single-track trails.

Exactly! I bought a Husqvarna TE450... awesome fun!
danster
Haggis Muncher
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

b00sted

Unfortunately obtaining nearly 50 hp from a 250 2 smoker means the fun lasts for a relatively short period of time. The euphoria inducing rush of acceleration is somewhat diminished when one factors in the downtime and expense of maintaining and fixing the highly strung mechanicals. An educated guess suggests pukka Es and hookers are a cheaper hobby.

I'm on a mountain bike these days so "saving the environment" and tuning and fuelling my engine involves eating and drinking haggis and beer. thumbs up
A little Castrol R mixed with the lawnmower's fuel allows me to reminisce of the good old days of motorsport...

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login