Posted by Wedge 
Wedge
Matt Barnes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
TOYOTA PASEO

Other North America rally forums?
July 19, 2018 03:39PM
Forgive me, I've been inactive for a long time and now I'm out of the loop. There used to just be SpecialStage, but now that site seems completely dead.
Besides this site, what are some other sites where everyone is chatting these days? And has an active buy/sell section?

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing. And when you face him, he will beat you.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Rolling Blunder
Ryan Bouffioux
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Stuporu Turdocharged Grocery-getter

Re: Other North America rally forums?
July 19, 2018 04:31PM
Much discussion has migrated to Faecebook. Sometimes there are productive discussions, but any meaningful discussion is often diluted by butthurt, ignorance, or a desire for being spoon-fed information (especially that which has been discussed ad nauseam and is intuitive or readily available), or is outright heinous to find because of the website's imbecilic organization and algorithmic "logic".

Groups: North America Rally, North America Rally (FS/FT/WTcool smiley
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

July 19, 2018 08:46PM
Yeah, forums have been supplanted by FaceSpace, meh.

I just want to know what is going to SAVE RALLY!!!!!11!1!1!1one!!!???

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Jens
Jens
Super Moderator

July 19, 2018 10:20PM
Rally-L was my favorite.
Frank Gossett
Frank gossett
Ultra Moderator

July 20, 2018 07:06AM
I remember Ben's rally page.
Jens
Jens
Super Moderator

July 20, 2018 08:55AM
I don't follow rally anymore, but occasionally I will check out Rally Racing News.

http://rallyracingnews.com/
Wedge
Matt Barnes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
TOYOTA PASEO

July 20, 2018 10:53AM
Damn... I was really hoping to avoid facebook...

Right now, someone somewhere is practicing. And when you face him, he will beat you.
Frank Gossett
Frank gossett
Ultra Moderator

July 21, 2018 05:50PM
my favorite is when someone asks if they really need to bend the tubing and can they use mitered pipe instead. Good lord.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 21, 2018 07:42PM
Wedge

Post here. Problem solved

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 21, 2018 07:43PM
Half my Facebook posts these days is links to old threads here

Grant Hughes
Frank Gossett
Frank gossett
Ultra Moderator

July 27, 2018 09:23AM
NoCoast
Wedge

Post here. Problem solved

Except topics veer off into what someone did 15 years ago and went to jail/prison for. It's really very toxic. And FB is terrible.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 28, 2018 01:32PM
Wedge

You can say that again. Here we have had some real doozies of wannabe rally-racers who have driven their stock Subarus on a field and then call themselves 'rallyracers' and annoy the fuck outta everybody, and too many trolls and serious bullshitters but a small minority.. Pacefook is awash, deluged, overflowing with 'wawwy-cwossers' in all the allegedly rally related 'pages'..
the format makes it near impossible to discuss anything in detail or find where the conversation is going.
Look at the disgusting convicted child molester DanielSl or whatever the fuck the scum-bag calls himself's Golf build: totally ridiculous over the top, pointless BSing bragging about how he "needs" to build some 375 hp AWD Golf wih 17" wheels and 13" discs to drive on a perfectly flat field for 40 seconds...and That's what most of Pacefook is full of

...And its a lot like 1984 in that whole swaths of "discussion" disappear into the 'truth-hole' when people edit/block/unfriend others POOOF!!
... I don't even want to call it bullshit because there are some uses for bullshit --like spreading it on a field..

But "everybody" says "It's convenient".....and "forums are so passé"

At least one can search this forum for information of which there is a gold mine, especially before a few people from Canada's most hated city came along and decided they were "going to prove" that "everything" I suggest is "outdated". *

As far as I can tell, plenty of people still look in here...Ask your questions, discuss what you will.
There is hope yet.

*I intentionally backed way off as a test to see if those useless trolls from Canada's Most Hated City" were only here to troll, or if they would come here and contribute useful content and share their experience building cars and help others along..And as soon as I stopped posting, they disappeared almost entirely. I think that shows they were only here to troll and argue because they were immature, spoiled, whiny fucktards. Evidently they were not interested in helping anybody get into the sport, build a sensible car--quick and strong, improve the on-event experience by discussing problems/suggesting alternate methods (like scoring or results)..nope. just "here for the LOLs"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Junior Moderator

July 28, 2018 08:01PM
john vanlandingham
Pacefook is awash, deluged, overflowing with 'wawwy-cwossers' in all the allegedly rally related 'pages'.. the format makes it near impossible to discuss anything in detail or find where the conversation is going.
Facebook is brutal for keeping track of conversations, let alone finding them after the fact.
And as John says, the ability for someone to start up a firestorm and then block the 'common sense' respondents is frustrating at best.

john vanlandingham
But "everybody" says "It's convenient".....and "forums are so passé"
And good forums are suffering because of the ease and fleeting nature of facebook... sad, really.

john vanlandingham
At least one can search this forum for information of which there is a gold mine, especially before a few people from Canada's most hated city came along and decided they were "going to prove" that "everything" I suggest is "outdated". *
I didn't realize there were that many people from Toronto on Rally Anarchy.

john vanlandingham
Evidently they were not interested in helping anybody get into the sport, build a sensible car--quick and strong, improve the on-event experience by discussing problems/suggesting alternate methods (like scoring or results)..nope. just "here for the LOLs"
It is more likely they were organizing events, helping on test days, and actually spending time face-to-face with people helping them learn, grow, improve, and get things done.

When I first got exposed to rally, Pat Richard and Dave Clark told me to check out 'Ben's Rally Page' which soon after became 'Special Stage.' I also remember Rally-L and some local mailing lists and rudamentary boards. Of those, Special Stage stood out as being a great resource, albeit occasionally full of crap. Being able to filter out the garbage is always a needed skill when getting information from anywhere... particularly the internet.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 31, 2018 09:46AM
I love posting links to rallyanarchy and specialstage on Facebook posts. Did you guys know that google scans both sites so you can just search stuff like,
"stupid information site:specialstage.com"

to find this old thread that Mitch Williams started back in 2010.
https://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?41434-The-Stupid-Information-Thread

Or this one I link to commonly because people like to ask me about them.
"pin stands site:rallyanarchy.com"

And this one feels like weekly sometimes because it's always a topic of discussion somewhere.
"door bars site:rallyanarchy.com"

Grant Hughes
Perry
Perry Seaman
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
under construction

August 07, 2018 11:25AM
I too was hoping that facebook was not going to be the answer.

Lately I've been thinking about the trend away from forums. Maybe I'm just getting older but I too find facebook hard to get much useful info from.

I keep thinking about the local dual sport motorcycle scene. They have a private forum, as in totally closed off unless you log in. The only way to get a login is to physically meet some of the members and get vouched for. It's great, because the moderators tell you up front that they don't care what's fair and will delete you if your an asshat.
They also have a rule that if you don't post for a while they delete you.
so we ended up with a private forum of a couple hundred people who have met each other face to face for the most part and anyone who is an A-hole or not active gets dropped.
And, because most people end up knowing who and where you are, trolling will be dealt with face to face at some point and tends to be minimal.

In the rally crowd, it might be nice to have something like that where only people that are showing up at events are in.

Perry

FE570s course bike
KTM 950 ADV
74 Beetle turbo-efi etc..
72 Beetle stage rally project WRX powered
Attended about 15 rallies, usually a volunteer in a course car.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login