NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Sponsorship
September 19, 2018 11:36AM
Sponsorship - financial support received from a sponsor

How many people on here consider receiving a discounted product as receiving a sponsorship?

Does your opinion change if you discover that the company still profits at that price point?

Exposure is the only asset that a rally team possesses to offer a potential sponsor. Is accepting sponsorship that is still directly profitable to the sponsor devaluing the value of this exposure to a negative number?
For example,
Let's say I make $70 on a $100 product. You send me a sponsorship proposal and I say okay, I will give you 20% off all my products and you accept because it saves you $20 and makes you feel good about getting a sponsor. I still made $10 off of you so is the value you just assigned to that exposure equal to -$10?
The real fun part is if you consider scenarios where this "sponsor" sells wholesale at 20% off to vendors and sells very little direct to consumer so they really didn't even do anything special for you. Cough, cough, ACT, cough... Or better yet, they sell it at the same price on Amazon, cough, cough, Gorilla, cough...

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Sponsorship
September 19, 2018 11:42AM
The requirement for any sponsorship Rally.Build has offered has been that it has to cost us money directly. We occasionally will offer discounts to a good customer but never quid pro quo for just a discount.

Grant Hughes
rallyfreak202
Senior Moderator

September 20, 2018 01:44PM
NoCoast
Sponsorship - financial support received from a sponsor

How many people on here consider receiving a discounted product as receiving a sponsorship?

Does your opinion change if you discover that the company still profits at that price point?

I come from the cycling world for sponsorship and the expectations are different for level of rider and size of company. For "grassroots" cycling if you get a discount on something, you totally pull out the sponsorship card. If you get stuff for free, even more inclination to promote their product and sometimes agreements for sponsorship come with terms/expectations.

The level of discount/freeness I get from the sponsor will determine how committed I am to them...usually. If they're still making money off me, great...I'm glad I'm getting it for cheaper but will I expose their product to the degree of getting free stuff? Maybe not. Maybe so. Through all of this sponsorship stuff, my opinion will remain the same; thankful and humbled. Unless you have the results to back it up, when you get cocky and take things for granted, the sponsorship becomes harder to renew and you are...less liked.

Grant, how many "teams" do you sponsor and do you have different tiers?
biggreen96
Chris Caylor
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Old Legacy- not very stock.

September 20, 2018 02:09PM
Rad Rally hasn't ever had a sponsor so I might not know what I'm talking about. But I would consider getting a discounted product a form of sponsorship though.

In my mind the team and the sponsor both need to get a benefit. In grassroots rally where exposure is not high I wouldn't be annoyed if the sponsor still made money. They made 10$ and I saved 20$ we both benefited. I'd of course want that disclosed. I don't want to have to discover that I am not getting the sponsorship I thought I was.

Brap Brap.
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

September 22, 2018 09:09PM
Yes. Receiving discounted product in a quid-pro-quo arrangement is sponsorship.
Receiving it without strings, presumed or otherwise, is not sponsorship.

FWIW, most parts "discounts" are too small to be chained by them. I'd rather the freedom than the discount.

Jason McDaniel
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

October 05, 2018 09:02PM
Grant send me stickers (or bring em) cause technically your belt prices were a sponsor ship.
thanks again hope to see you oct 27/28

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login