Advanced

Looking to start co-driving

Posted by Qalmana 
Qalmana
Dave Marshall
Mega Moderator

Looking to start co-driving
October 28, 2018 10:49AM
Would anybody be interested in helping me get started and take on a new co-driver?

I'm located in central Pennsylvania, and I'm interested in getting started at a couple east coast events in 2019. I could use a hand picking out safety gear and such. I'm familiar with notes and how they work, I've just never had to read them in car (obviously).

Any other questions or info you need/want just ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2018 10:52AM by Qalmana.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: Looking to start co-driving
October 29, 2018 07:57AM
Glad you're looking to get started! Have you heard of the book by Mark Williams? "A Guide to Rally Co-driving in North America" Pick up a copy, and read it - twice - and take notes. Seriously. Helped me a lot when I got started. Click HERE for book.

Do you have any volunteer experience?

Central PA is a good place to be, not *too* far if you're willing to drive (8-10hr tow is "Normal"winking smiley.

Safety gear is important, but unfortunately also expensive. I bought a cheap suit (Sparco Jade) to start and quickly upgraded out of that oven mit! I would look into an Alpinestars "Knoxville" suit, great suit for the price. Quality pays for both comfort and safety. I would recommend a Simpson hybrid if you can swing it, they have a bit of side protection that the HANS does not (especially if you're in a car that doesn't have winged seats, which you should be if you can). I'll be switching to a Simpson soon.

Helmets are all over the board, you can get whatever helmet you like really, and add an intercom. Once you pick an intercom though, you'll end up needing adapters to be compatible with other systems. I bought a Bell helmet (which is Peltor intercom compatible) and I've only had to use an adapter once, most people have peltor systems. My next helmet, however, will be a Stilo. Lighter, better speakers, better safety certs, and one adapter means you can plug into Peltor no problem. Increasingly cars will have Stilo systems anyway since Peltor stopped making intercoms a few years ago I believe (they still make the headsets though).

Hope this helps! Feel free to shoot me a DM or respond here if you have any more questions!
Qalmana
Dave Marshall
Mega Moderator

October 29, 2018 08:36PM
dunhamr1
Glad you're looking to get started! Have you heard of the book by Mark Williams? "A Guide to Rally Co-driving in North America" Pick up a copy, and read it - twice - and take notes. Seriously. Helped me a lot when I got started. Click HERE for book.

No haven't heard of it but it looks like a good place to start!

dunhamr1

Unfortunately no, I was trying to go to STPR and ESPR this year but I was unable to make it.

Thanks for the rest of the info as well! I don't mind travelling at all and willing to go just about anywhere. I'll be sure to PM ya here in the future when I get to buying some gear, be nice to have a set of more experienced eyes make sure I'm grabbing the right stuff!
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

December 11, 2018 10:53AM
Qalmana
dunhamr1

Unfortunately no, I was trying to go to STPR and ESPR this year but I was unable to make it.

Thanks for the rest of the info as well! I don't mind travelling at all and willing to go just about anywhere. I'll be sure to PM ya here in the future when I get to buying some gear, be nice to have a set of more experienced eyes make sure I'm grabbing the right stuff!

The book is the best place to start, pick it up and read it. And then read it again. Take notes.

Get some volunteer experience! Look for events to go to and get involved. It's always better to have some sense of how the event functions before you get in the car. Unfortunately STPR isn't until September next year but you should look at some NASA events (like Sandblast in March) as well as the ARA events to go to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login