Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Wrong way on a stage
February 07, 2008 05:17PM
A friend emailed me this nice little shot today from Oregon Trails 2007.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/aef00042-854a-403f-96d4-9a3b012d71d7.htm

I can't tell who it is though.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

Re: Wrong way on a stage
February 07, 2008 06:42PM
Pretty easy to figure out who it is.
Whipping shitties should be the approved method of turning around on stage. Quick, easy, and doesnt require a lot of room.
BenSlocum
Ben Slocum
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Who-ever the fuck I co-drive for.

February 07, 2008 07:24PM
I have to say, in the heat of a stage, posting the co-driver ahead to flag down a car would seem like a good idea. In retrospect, I'm sure event that team knew they didn't handle it best.

I am guilty myself of driving backwards down a stage to swing the car back around after a spin. My first time co-driving, and the driver was extreamly experienced. In retrosepct, very bad idea, especially when we were 10+ miles into a stage in a G2 car with a WRX, and Evo VI, and an STi all behind us, in that order.

Winningest one-eyed co-driver in Rally America history.
JohnLane
John Lane
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

February 07, 2008 07:34PM
Oh Shit!!

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

February 07, 2008 10:36PM
Looks like Barnes' Sentra to me. Didn't look terribly dangerous though, maybe less than ideal however.
david amor
david amor
Mod Moderator

February 08, 2008 12:09AM
can't really blame the crew without being there. My car will spin in a circle with the throttle and brake planted so thats what I do or just back into the scenery real quik, smash the rear end and keep going. maybe wasnt an option for this guy.

Gone fishing
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

February 11, 2008 05:58PM
BULLSHIT !

It ain't that difficult to wait for the next car to pass and then do whatever needs be done to travel in the proper direction. You don't travel against the rally traffic period end of story.

In 1984 I got involved in an incident when a Fiat 131 got severely damaged and a Manta 200 was written off, same exact situation. It was the Fiat's fault and the driver lost his rally licence for 2 seasons, I was the codriver, I was found not guilty. He did what he did against my advice and inspite of my severe protests. We are all lucky to be alive it could have been worse, much worse. So if you have never come head to head with a rally car in a rally car you may rationalise the decision of the competitor but if you have had the misfortune of having such experience you would have a totally different opinion.

That's all I have to say about it.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
Mike Mc
Mike McCarty
Professional Moderator

February 18, 2008 06:38PM
My wrong-way story...
Maine Forest 2002, Magalloway Long. At the spectator area with John Ricker ( safety steward), acting as his radio guy. Hear a call on my walkie-talkie from a competitor on stage (Mark Utecht) reporting there are rally cars going the wrong way on stage. No reply from start. After about 30 seconds I ask start if they heard that and they replied yes, and things started rolling and they shut down the stage. ( In defense of the start radio guy, Mark had goofed and reported he was on the next stage, so it took a bit to figure out he was on OURS).
John and I go up the stage and fix (man) the unmanned intersection, and the stage finishes OK. Later that day (next stage) I get to hear Pete Lyons say "I want this stage shut down NOW", but we didn't. I haven't seen John at a rally since. though, and the world is a little poorer for that.

Mike McCarty
KB1HZU
Peter Steinberg
Peter Steinberg
Senior Moderator

February 19, 2008 09:04PM
Mike Mc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wrong-way story...
> Maine Forest 2002, Magalloway Long...

Blame me some for that one. John Buffum and I were at the start and trying to figure out Where Mark might be since he had called in the wrong stage #, and how cars could possibly be going the wrong way on that stage.

We held the start after a car or two started just to try to figure out what was going on.

Missing banner tape, teams that didn't trust the stage notes and turned about 0.3 miles too late, etc. caused some excitement on that stage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login