Posted by Rallymech 
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

Sitting in the car after OTR
November 07, 2021 08:16PM
Just sitting here waiting to get out of the impound after the rally. I was just thinking that it’s a shame no one posts any more. I met Ben Bradley in service yesterday. It was really nice to see him. Are there any current competitors reading RA?

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

Re: Sitting in the car after OTR
November 08, 2021 09:25AM
I check in at least once a week... no notification sent... Just when I feel like passing by.

Of for the good ol' days.
LooseEntry
Sage Van Tilburg
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
E36

November 11, 2021 11:04PM
I'm still here! Started a "build thread" for the red E36 here, but I'm bad at documentation... I might have had some time after having the red car prepped for OTR two months in advance, but I ended up selling it last minute after purchasing AJ Rossiter's E36 like 6 weeks before hand. I think I legitimately had every single component behind the motor out of the chassis, and several in front and below leading up to OTR for a cornucopia of deferred maintenance; I was working like a dog getting it ready, so no time for shitposting!! A few stories form prep/lessons learned that I might try and share for the future generations whom I'm sure are clamoring for E36 info... Worth every penny and every minute though, that car is an absolute monster compared to my previous steed.

Robert, you and I talked a bit at Olympus 2021 when my codriver and I were behind you in grid on day #2 (and in the old red car). I remember you telling us about some "wild" rumors concerning testing the top speed of Larry's sequential on a private, closed course very far away from Shelton I'm sure. You miht have mentioned a "professional driver" as well. At OTR I had the white E36 (sold the red one to a close friend, he should make it to Olympus next year!) and my girlfriend subbed in for this one as well, and we were once again behind you and Larry! On I think the second running of Starveout Larry was out of the car and the 3 of us caught up a bit while waiting for the Evo roll to get cleared. You are quite close by to us, we should get together some time!

Any good stories from OTR? We almost stuffed it on the first run of Shadow Buck, since the farmer at the water crossing apparently dams up the stream the day of the event... It was hardly a puddle durring recce, and I think we hit it on the first pass at 80+ and struggled to shut 'er down in the resulting mud before the next R3. I put it a bit off track to find some grip and we ended up ok. We completely cracked the front Wavespec rotors in literally 10 different places after the second running of Dalles mtn. Down (these were fresh cracks) and had to get some Orielly's Specials delivered overnight to run Sunday.. I owe a buddy big time for that. Besides that, we had a good clean race but couldn't quite reel in Lars Wolfe for that last podium spot - ended up out of the mix by about 20 seconds. Other highlights include 95ft at the Boyd jump and hitting a top speed of 116.7, shortly after which the car tried to swap ends under braking. Also ALMOST hit the gate at the spectator corner on the first run of Starveout, but didn't and just ended up putting on a good show (I hope). A few good lessons learned, but we kept the car on the road and we had a TON of fun!

What were things like for everybody else??
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

November 13, 2021 08:49PM
Hi Sage. It was good talking with you and your codriver.

Our car is pretty quick with the new transmission. We are certainly not professionals! We are just out having fun.

The first run through the water crossing caught me by surprise. It looked much worse than recce. Larry put the hammer down and we skimmed right over the top! Hardly got any water on the windshield.

I was late calling a R6 L6 on Boyd Loop and we had high speed “moment”. I don’t know how Larry managed to reel us back in! Don’t want to do that again.

We call that run down to the spectator area “suicide hill”. What did you think about those repairs on the road? I’ve never seen rocks that big used to fix a road!

It was very interesting to see how close the competition was.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
Racinkid13
Max
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

January 27, 2022 03:03PM
First time in a long while i popped in here. Just a random thought made me think about this place during work today.
LooseEntry
Sage Van Tilburg
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
E36

January 27, 2022 10:42PM
We're here, barely! Also Robert, sorry I never ended up replying...

We are certainly not professionals!

I know, I was trying to offer you some plausible deniability about what you had said at Olympus, since in actuality you mentioned that you had taken it out yourself on the roads around Shelton prior to the race to stretch it's legs... I won't mention the speed you claimed smiling smiley

rallymech
We call that run down to the spectator area “suicide hill”. What did you think about those repairs on the road? I’ve never seen rocks that big used to fix a road!

Yeah whatever rocks they used to cover/infill that section were HUGE. It didn't cause us any problems, but I had raised the car 0.5" on both ends from what AJ Rossiter had it set to, and I think it was the right call. David Alspaugh said that instead of following the ruts in those sections, he straddled them to avoid issues with the undercarriage with some success.

Overall it was an awesome time and a well run event, but TBD if I'll make it this year since the proximity to Olympus is pretty tight. I will definitely be at Olympus though, and am essentially planning on more or less running a two car "team" with the guy I sold the red E36 to - it will be his first event, so that's exciting! AJ Johnson will be joining me I think, which I'm really looking forward to!!

Robert (or anybody else out there), will you be at Olympus?

Max, what's your story?

Just for fun, here are a few of our highlights form OTR. Does anybody else have onboards, highlights, or anything from the event to share??

-Sage
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

January 29, 2022 10:03PM
Rallymech
Just sitting here waiting to get out of the impound after the rally. I was just thinking that it’s a shame no one posts any more. I met Ben Bradley in service yesterday. It was really nice to see him. Are there any current competitors reading RA?

Sadly still not a current competitor ,but been working on the car and it moves under it's own power these days...which is a start...still look in here sometimes...just posted at specialstage too
(I'm rallyxr4ti there). There is a tiny bit of activity there too.

All we gotta do is start posting here and ss instead of nopebook we could have these forums back..at least partially perhaps.

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Racinkid13
Max
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 MKI GTI

February 16, 2022 02:22PM
So we moved from Auburn, WA to Durham, NC back in 2014 for my job. We quickly fell in with the rally crowd here. We now help with organization of Sandblast Rally in SC. We helped a friend with his tarmac sprint in Bristol. Hes now got a full rally in Bristol Forest. Helped out with heavy sweep up at Empire state.

I know Robert will hate hearing this......but i bought another mk1 rally car. Just cant get those things out of my blood. But its been sitting in the garage since 2017.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

July 01, 2022 09:13PM
I'm dropping in after years. At the start of the year sold my VW off to someone who was getting into it. I wonder how they are doing.

Well, anyway, hello all.

Enablers, All of you.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

things and stuff
July 07, 2022 08:31PM
I'm trying to get the Lemons car back together; everything is expensive

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

July 12, 2022 03:39AM
Hi all - I check in every couple of weeks - mostly for the Audi build - just read an article about the demise of forums, so thought I'd stop by.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login