Advanced

How to get into rally racing

Posted by ppracing 
ppracing
Parker Pruitt
Junior Moderator

How to get into rally racing
May 19, 2023 11:36AM
After going through this and a few other forums for rally racing (the ones that are active at least) I figured this would be the best place for advice on how to get into rally racing, and the most realistic when it comes to harsh truths and whatnot. I've been wanting to get into rally racing for a little while now, and was wondering where I could go/what I could do to get started rallying. After looking at a few other posts in this forum i'm basically digging myself a grave by saying this but I have no idea about anything when it comes to cars in the mechanical sense, meaning I have no idea what to look for in terms of specs when it comes to finding a car to buy to get into the hobby. So if anyone has any good recommendations of a good program or something I can go through but also anything I can research or do to learn about car mechanics and how I could learn enough to work on a project car instead of buying an ARA ready car, as well as how to get into rally racing itself and start going to events and learn everything about how it all goes down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2023 02:01PM by ppracing.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
Senior Moderator

Re: How to get into rally racing
June 02, 2023 01:46PM
10/10 I'd start with volunteering at an event, finding someone local to you that you can pester, and/or helping a team at an event. All of those things will help you get an understanding of what rally is and what it takes.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: How to get into rally racing
June 06, 2023 07:50PM
i agree with volunteering to at least SEE a rally in person.

A good next step is codriving, if you can. Helps to get into the car with the lowest investment.

Owning a car is more complex. Do you buy? Do you build? How far are the events from you? (towing costs).

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login