Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

New guy, new project, need your input.

Posted by Francois 
Francois
Francois Poirier
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

New guy, new project, need your input.
February 28, 2008 08:31AM
Hi all!

I'm new here, used to read a lot at the other place, but only posted once or twice since I didn't feel welcomed. I'm glad I could find the way to here!

I used to rallye around 2001-2003, in a AWD turbo Plymouth Laser. At that time I had big ambitions and tough I was sooooo good I could go play up front with the big guys... (Oh man was I wrong!) After spending way to much $ on a non comptetive car, I destoyed it and gave up on it! (gooooooooooodddd thing!)

I bought a few cars after that with the intention of rallying it, like a Gaylant VR4, a 1G Talon and even a subaru (I'm so ashamed! But I got rid of it now so it's all good!), but never got to prepare them since they all were pos.

Now I want to rallye again and I just started looking at the classifieds for a good project. I found 3 good candidates, but I'd like to know what you think.

The first one is a 1996 BMW 318IS with a blown engine. It's only 1000$ but I think it could get costly to have it back in shape. It's also auto, so I also have to find a good tranny.

The next two are 1989 240 Volvo. Both are auto and 600$, one is not starting but everything on it is new and it's pretty much rust free. The other one is in good working condition, but the body is in need of a lot a love! Well, not that much, but there are some good rust spots.

Which one would you choose and why?

I have to say that after seeing the 15000$ build of the Finnish group F, the BMW is really tempting me. I really like how this car looks and I think it would be easier to get some sponsor money from my boss with it than with an older volvo.

But I know I'll probably be as slow in any of the two car, and have as much fun in any of them.

Thanks for the help!

Francois
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: New guy, new project, need your input.
February 28, 2008 09:12AM
Honestly, I'd wait and not get any of the three and really figure out what you want to do. Isn't there a cool 2WD championship up in Quebec?

Grant Hughes
Francois
Francois Poirier
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

February 28, 2008 09:30AM
Yes there is a 2WD championship, but I don't know if I want to take part in it, since it's basically that championship that put me out of rally (before I wrecked the DSM).

But that could be good.

The only problem is that it is only open to prod or Gr2 cars. But there is another championship just starting this year where I could run G5 or whatever else.

In my mind, I know I want to run the BMW, but I need some input to make sure it's a good choice for a "beginner" with RWD cars.

Francois
Francois
Francois Poirier
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

February 28, 2008 10:05AM
Well, the BMW just got sold! That make it somewhat a little easier for me!

Now I'm being tempted by the non-starting volvo.

Any known problem that could cause it not to start? There is a brand new battery in it but it didn't change anything according to the owner.

Francois
tmachnik
Tom Machnik
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 VW GTI

February 28, 2008 12:09PM
For $600/each? Buy them both! good parts, a good body, spares, win win win.
SteelSolutions
William Timmins
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
3 xr4ti/74 capri/02 bug eye

February 28, 2008 12:58PM
Well http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/582433695.html
Not a bad little rig I have one im starting soon to promote my new company. Ill be making allot of parts that I car copy for cheep for others wanting to race this car. Most of the parts you put in these cars are vary common like a bw t5 tranny and close ratio race gears are under 400 bucks and the rear diff swap to a Toyota supra 8.0 with a limited stock is a vary strong and cheep diff to work on. The motor dose its job its no saint but little over 250 hp not hard to get. Just an all around stout car. Good luck

TSSFAB.US No HYPE just parts!!!! And check us out on Facebook!!!
starion887
starion887
Professional Moderator

February 29, 2008 08:38AM
Hey Francios,

Let me ask a question: Do you do all you r own mechanical work and building, or do you send it to a garage fro work? The reason I ask is that if you are a good mechanic and fabricator, then start with the Volvo is good. If you are not a good mechanic and have to send the car out for work, then I would avoid a project car that requires alot fo work. Find a ready built rally car.

Regards and good luck!
Mark B.

Francois
Francois Poirier
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

February 29, 2008 11:25AM
I'm not an expert mechanic, but I did most of the prep work (except the roll cage) in my previous rally car, and I did all the repairs myself.

I also have a good friend who does rally prep for a few guys that is doing the jobs I can't for a very reasonable price.

I guess the Volvo is not a bad choice. The only thing that "scares" me a bit is swapping it to a manual transmission. I never did such things but I'm willing to try it if it's not an impossible task for a novice mechanic or doesn't require costly special tools.

BTW, a friend went to see the non-starting one, and he told me the car is very clean but that another guy spent 4 hours trying to start it, without any luck. It seems that the fuel pump (or is it fuel injector?) relay is clicking, but no fuel is getting to the injectors.

Any guess what it could be? Fuel pump maybe?

Francois
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 29, 2008 11:33AM
Bienvenue a Rallyanarchy mec!

Glad to see the disease is spreading.
Oh I just thought!
Are you intending to go to Maine Summer Rally this year?

I know its getting quite stupid to cross over into the "Unexplored Southern Area" but there was the Finnish guy "Larry" in New York who is organising about 6 good nasty GroupF cars to come over and it looks like it will be Maine they do, so I think that would be worth visiting.
Take LOTS of BEER, and feed the Finnish boys lots and they'll start talking, but don't get so drunk yourself that you don't know what they're saying. Or that you think you understand Finnish!
NOBODY understands Finnish!

Anyway, whatever you do you should know that RUST is your ENEMY and that looking say South of WASHINGTON DC will just about assurer you of a rust free and nearly free car.

So if you'd like i can ask some of the crazy Volvo boys who I've dragged over here and made them sign up if they can keep the eyeballs open for a cheap, rustfree runner.
I bet we can find something for 200-300 buckskis Americaine.
And import is easy, at least 6 cars have left this place I'm writing and found new happy lives in Canada.

Note that while the BMW look sexy, if you follow results, they aren't killing everybody and PARTS ARE trop chere.

I would not choose a car based on the chance possibility of future sponsorship, that road leads to bankruptcy.
And that makes a fancier BMW a chancy proposition, heh?

So welcome and don't hesitate to get in touch and we'll find you something to start with, and naturally cheap cheap!!
(Save the money for the exciting bits!)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 29, 2008 11:49AM
Francois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I guess the Volvo is not a bad choice. The only
> thing that "scares" me a bit is swapping it to a
> manual transmission. I never did such things but
> I'm willing to try it if it's not an impossible
> task for a novice mechanic or doesn't require
> costly special tools.
Hey it is very easy, remember 88% of the cars they made were manual trans so the swap over is dead easy. The pedal assembly comes out in maybe 10 minues, thetrans is out in 20-25, the torque converter and flex plate is off in a few bolts, the kardan is the same, easy easy easy.
>
> BTW, a friend went to see the non-starting one,
> and he told me the car is very clean but that
> another guy spent 4 hours trying to start it,
> without any luck. It seems that the fuel pump (or
> is it fuel injector?) relay is clicking, but no
> fuel is getting to the injectors.
>
> Any guess what it could be? Fuel pump maybe?

There is a low pressure "feed pump" in the tank and a high pressure pump under the car.
I always reccoment jumpering 12v directly to a thing that is sup[posed top work so you can actually HEAR it run, cause if you know it runs then if it doesn't "switch on" we can concentrate on WHY: the FUSE or the RELAY or the connecting wires

écouter bein! You can always eliminate a relay on Eurp cars by looking at the bottom of the relay and noting where the terminal marked "30". "30"is standard DIN code for "direct from battery--unswitched", then look for "87", which is "consumer" like a light or a fan or a pump!
So try that!

>
> Francois

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
alkun
Albert Kun
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

February 29, 2008 02:53PM
Yeah hey there,

I did the auto/ stick swap in my 240, and like the man says, it was easy, even for a dirtbag like me.

by the way 240s rule.

-Al
Francois
Francois Poirier
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

February 29, 2008 03:37PM
That's starting to look good!

The Volvo owner is leaving for a week, but he's kind enough to leave it unlocked and allows us to go have a look at it as we like during that time. If only I could get him to leave the keys too so we can make it start.

I'm 99% sure it's a little thing, and I'm almost ready to buy it without even having seen it in real. But I had a few non-working cars before, and most of them stayed non-working the whole time I had them, so my wife got a little tired of that.

Maybe I'll be reasonable for once, I'll go see it only after the owner has left so I will not be able to buy it until next Saturday. That would give me enough time to think about it or find a better one.

But you are tempting me in bringing a southern car up north. I'm just not sure how much it would cost to have it shipped here. But that sure is an interesting option!

Oh and Maine was not in the plans for this summer, but now it is for sure! I can't miss the chance to see F-Cup cars driven by Fins without having to cross the ocean!

I'll bring real (Canadian) beer! that should be good enough to have them Finnish talk, if not, well I'll open a few "Fin du monde" and at 11% alcohol, they should be talking French before it's emptied!

Francois
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900T, Mustang now running

February 29, 2008 03:41PM
You can start it through the test block I think. Some one with more specific knowledge than I have will have to tell you how though.

RichardM
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

March 07, 2008 02:28PM
Who cares if it starts or not? The only thing that's important is that it isn't rust infested. Which if it's spent it's entire life in Quebec it will be. Find one 12 hours drive south. Rust free is better than running any day of the week. If you can findone rust free and running then you're golden... and can drive it home.

-Martin.
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

March 08, 2008 05:25AM
> Rust free is better than running any day of the week.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login