Posted by Bruce Beauvais 
Bruce Beauvais
Bruce Beauvais
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
none- right seat's for me

SAAB question
March 07, 2008 10:37AM
JVL- O font of knowledge all things SAAB.
First I'll relate what I've been able to find. For MY 1970 and 1971, SAAB imported
a limited number of "T-cars" or orange competion cars. They were factory prepped 96 chassis that had reinforced suspension pickup points. They were shiiped without undercoating or rustproofing to save weight. They came with US-spec drivelines to meet emmisions standards. A 95 rear axle was used as it was stronger. They one that I've seen also had teh clutch master cylinder mount reinforced and one of the rear hib dustcovers had a square drive pin for the odo drive. What else do you know?

Bruce Beauvais
Too many SAABs to count
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900T, Mustang now running

Re: SAAB question
March 07, 2008 10:38AM
Bruce, I assume you asked this on saabnet and saab central?

RichardM
Bruce Beauvais
Bruce Beauvais
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

March 07, 2008 10:50AM
A long time ago. I thought I'd ask the question of the SAAB experts here. As you added nothing,I'll presume that you can add little to the knowledge base. You were one who I thought might know more.

Bruce Beauvais
Too many SAABs to count
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 07, 2008 11:10AM
Richard Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bruce, I assume you asked this on saabnet and saab
> central?
>
> RichardM

So that guys who have read other web forums can say what they "know" from reading forums?

Why not direct him to the real special private mail lists where you share your knowledge?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 07, 2008 11:34AM
I take then John, you also know nothing.

RichardM
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 07, 2008 11:36AM
Bruce, I actually don't remember reading about these but I will ask Bob Sinclair if he remembers hearing any thing about them.
Richard

RichardM
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 07, 2008 01:46PM
Bruce Beauvais Wrote:

Hi Bruce.
> JVL- O font of knowledge all things SAAB.

Come on I only know some things!!!

> First I'll relate what I've been able to find.
> For MY 1970 and 1971, SAAB imported
> a limited number of "T-cars" or orange competion
> cars. They were factory prepped 96 chassis that
> had reinforced suspension pickup points.

Yeah where the Upper A arms bolt into the wheelhouse, rather than having a weeenie ass little square nut "kinda zapped" in place, there were welded in PN 82 00 412 and 82 00 438 which were 3/8" thick full length bars that look like the OEM alignment shims.

There are double skin parts welded where the lower A arms bolt in and there's a doubler where the tie rods pass thru the inner fender bulk head and an extra U channel welded along the forward part of the inner channel.

Not much more really.

I talked to guys who had run service for Saab factory cars in the mid 70s and they said since they "lifed" the body shells and since they had ample service crews, they didn't really do much outright strengthening on the shells or A arms cause they could just swap in parts as needed at service and they didn't want to increase weight.
The weight thing seemed to be a near obsession with everybody back then.

They were
> shiiped without undercoating or rustproofing to
> save weight. They came with US-spec drivelines to
> meet emmisions standards. A 95 rear axle was used
> as it was stronger.

Well there was a actual rally specific rear axle which had thicker wall in the tube but 96 speciific lower spring perches and 96 specific brake line mounts but shared the 95 inner bearing which is a 30mm ID on the inboard bearing vs the 96s 25mm ID bearing (SKF 6205 for 25mm ID; 6206 for 30mm ID)

They one that I've seen also
> had teh clutch master cylinder mount reinforced
> and one of the rear hib dustcovers had a square
> drive pin for the odo drive. What else do you
> know?

About the "T" cars?
"T" stands for Tävling or 'competition'

And they were available as a spare part all the way thru 1981 a full year after the series production had ended in Feb 1980.
This meant that the FIA rule on when the Homologation runs out was pegged at the end of December 1986 since they BSed the rule and could clain ''New cars'' were sold in 81.
And thatäs how I could enter Olympus 1986 and be äthe last 96 to run in a World rally Championship event.
>
> Bruce Beauvais
> Too many SAABs to count

Bruce you planning on building one for flogging on stages?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 07, 2008 01:47PM
Richard Miller Wrote:
> I take then John, you also know nothing.
>
> RichardM

You're turning into a troll Richard.

Not looking nice.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Bruce Beauvais
Bruce Beauvais
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

March 07, 2008 02:37PM
Thanks,John.
That is much more information than I had before. All I had found before was the desciption that appeared in the back of the Chilton manual. I found a virtually verbatum description elsewhere. I think Jeff Delahorne had sent me a copy of the SAAB USA press release.
I've also heard many answers to the origan of the "T-car" name. Yours makes much more sense than the others I've heard- as those individuals didn't speak Swedish.
No plans at the present to rally one. As I live in the land of salt- most are way to rusty for serious stage use. I did take several photos of your 96 at LSPR. I've lurked long enough now to know how the 4-bolt wheels got on your car without the use of Monte Carlo/SAAB Sport parts.
I bought my "T-car" in 1975 after hearing the previous owner talk about trading it in. That was at the Pro rally in Green Bay,El Diablo. Before ( and after) it saw some serious "brisk" TSD use. The roof and deck lid are the only straight body panels. It,like most projects, awaits time and money.
No need to rally the 96 back then ,as we were building a 122 for stage use.

Bruce Beauvais
Too many SAABs to count
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

March 07, 2008 03:04PM
Dammit John. You don't know shit about Saabs do you ???
Hehehehehehehe.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 07, 2008 04:16PM
Well, I have found one person who says they own one. Would you like me to have them contact you Bruce?

RichardM
SEANT
SEAN TENNIS
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99, SAAB 96 850, SAAB 99T, SAAB V4

March 07, 2008 08:44PM
The chassis were fully prepped, with competition springs and shocks, full strenghtening kits installed-(as JVL stated), front wheel housings reinforced as well as the rear axle mountings and shock mountings, no body sealant/undercoating...,basically all the parts for rally car chassis in the Sport & Rally cataloge factory installed, chassis of course in the lovely color of orange, but as stated without performance engine or transmission, which could be ordered seperately.

Satch had one, I think one of his buddies still has it!

I'll ask a friend that use to rally one if he can think of anything else next time I see him, in a month or so... seems to me there was some kind of work at the firewall to floor, did JVL mention this too??? Oh yeah there was extra welding along seems...

As always IMHO

SEAN TENNIS KF7JJR
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
SAAB 99, SAAB 850
SAAB V4, SAAB 99T
Saabfarm
Luke Sørensen
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
SAAB 99

March 08, 2008 12:10AM
Somewhere I read or some old saab fart told me that at a certain point all the "orange car" reinforcements became standard on all shells. Any truth to that?

-Luke
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 08, 2008 03:34AM
Richard Miller Wrote:
> Well, I have found one person who says they own
> one. Would you like me to have them contact you
> Bruce?
>
> RichardM

Richard why are you here?
You seem to be trying to provoke things.
You post this in the hiding place where nobody knows you've never averaged more than 42 mph on a stage ever, and usually under 40mph, so they buy your "I'm a rally racer" crap, and you slander this site and everybody on it with LIES that everybody here is complaining constantly about your masters at Rally America:

"This question was asked on another web site that you don't really want t=
o waste time going to, Rally Anarchy. Mostly it is a site where guys can=
use profanity while proclaiming how bad Rally America is. And you don't=
really want to know who the questioner thinks can answer this. Said res=
pondent may actually be on this list for all I know although he seems to=
have been banned from other Saab lists and forums.

Any way, any one have any more info?
Richard"

Spineless worm.
I'm not banned from any Saab site, and slandering me to make your point is violating one of our 2 rules here: Lies intended to be believed to damage somebodies reputation.
I choose to not participate on the various Saab forums because they are full of people like YOU who have supposedly been SAAB owners or fans for decades yet are utterly useless and ignorant of the simplest things and also due to the presence of several particularly chronic pathological liars.
Including your supposed contact.

But you say others don't want to waste their time and yet:
You seem to be here.
Why?

Obviously provocation I'd say.

You think that "profanity" is a big deal?

You think by your not using "profanity" somehow makes you twice in a day calling me a liar makes your words credible?
Or makes calling me a liar, in your spineless backhanded way saying less of an insult?

Your whining and doing the typical e-denizen shit of thinking YOU are the subject and writing this crap typifies the problems we face in discussion in this country, we can't even talk about tires with retards like you fucking up the discussion by taking offense and crying:

RichardM

Default 7th Mar 08, 03:32
As you can tell, John does not like me nor does John like any one or thing that has the name Rally America associated with it. Hence John claims I am an old dinosaur and firmly embedded with all the old people. Well, I confess, I am older than John and have been involved with rally in the US longer than John. I am also an organizer and have been an organizer with SCCA, Rally America, NARA/NARRA and even consider NSR to list all the major organizing groups in the US. I am rabidly in favor of the sport of rally and not any one sanctioning body. If any one wishes a recommendation of my contribution to rally in the US, I suggest they contact almost any one in rally in the US except John. And I even serviced for John once. He was such a boor that was enough.

As you can see, John mocks the lack of ability to read Swedish. I wish I could read more languages faster but I can not. So if any one wishes to tell the rest of us what John is saying about studs so we can supply the truth, it would be appreciated

Richard, you have aways struck me as a intellectually plodding, slow witted bullshitter, and reading your fantasy shit when you think its super secret, and nobody will challenge you and you feel you are safe from PUBLIC SCRUTINY,
I know you to be a despicable liar. You have lied "there' and you have lied here.

Now since you are well established now as slow witted, I italicized and underlined your ironic blunder, but let me explain it.

Why would I translate anything for you when you show there UNDERLINED that you have already decided that "WE" can supply the 'truth'?

Do you see that words IMPLY things Miller?If you ever HAD any balls, you would simply write clearly and call me a liar because what you have said there says "I have no idea what he wrote--(because you're too dim to try to learn a second or third language----) but "We can supply the truth"

Who is "we", Miller?
You and your buddy Hurst?

Letting it slip that you've been asked to run around stirring up shit?

Hate to break your big ol heart, the Swedes and Finns there have you and Hurst figured for the shills and schmucks you are.*

* the post is from a forum some of you guys drop in on but very few Americans post on, and there was a question from a Swedish rally Clio driver about studded tires, and out from under some Texas Longhorn Cow-pies, out crawls Mr Miller here to tell "the truth".

Rally Master 2 OA in Central Region Gp5 Miller had never posted at Rallyforum.com before and surprise of surprises, the originator of the Gary Busey Helmet protector protector inspired fuel cell cover cover cover Mike Hurst just happens to drop in for his first posts ever.

Startling coincidence, wouldn't you say?
Link to thread:http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125209

Miller, you better stop with your constant lying, slander, and defamation.
The 2 rules we have here are clear enough even for an old slow witted Electrical Engineer to fully and clearly understand.

You have your other forums where you can lie and cheer lead all you want, but here we will not tolerate lies which are intended to be believed and which are solely written to be defamatory.

Here is the link to the forum rules under "read this first".
Now i know you're getting on in age, and everything's beginning or already has gone to hell so maybe you forgot what it says so follow the link http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?1,6,6

And decide if you can play by these simple rule (you have the real name and real location rule met, so that leaves just the 1 rule to abide by.
Let us know if you want to abide or if you're trying to get disciplined for ulterior reasons--sounds crazy but since you lie so much, we have no idea what your motivations are.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 03:40AM by john vanlandingham.
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:

March 08, 2008 08:40AM
john vanlandingham Wrote:
A whole lot whining
> John, if you put this much work into your business, you would be doing pretty good. I'm rather amazed you take the effort really.

RichardM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login