JB
JB Marti
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Trabant

JB
sexy audi
February 26, 2006 12:38PM
alright, i was looking at pix from these folks who were playing in the sand last weekend and that 2dr audi 90 is sweet. never seen one rally though i have seen a TT at STPR one year. a french guy driving it with a polish co-driver who built it out of florida (driver was from brooklyn nyc). anyway, is the 90's engine any good? i've driven a few A4's really hard and didnt like the front end at all. the engine was just way too forward and it made it understeer too damn much, kind of like a standard pug 306.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

Re: sexy audi
February 26, 2006 01:30PM
And he was in front of Julian and I during the muddy Rim, whatever the hell year it was. He has bought the TT from a salvage auction dirt cheap, the interior was stripped. He was going pretty good, I heard later on he rolled and the car once again was a write off. The driver was a tall guy, so was the codriver. I wonder how they fit in it, as far as I could see there was little room in it.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
Parry
Dave Maxwell
Mod Moderator

February 26, 2006 02:18PM
audi 90's layout is basically like an a4, with the engine hung way out in the nose.

They had to flip the radiator sideways and put it like behind the driver's headlight because the 5 cylinder sticks that far forwards. The motor ends right behind the grill.
JB
JB Marti
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 Trabant

JB
February 26, 2006 02:27PM
sagsert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And he was in front of Julian and I during the
> muddy Rim, whatever the hell year it was. He has
> bought the TT from a salvage auction dirt cheap,
> the interior was stripped. He was going pretty
> good, I heard later on he rolled and the car once
> again was a write off. The driver was a tall guy,
> so was the codriver. I wonder how they fit in it,
> as far as I could see there was little room in it.

actually, that was 03 i think. he didnt flip his car then cause he won his class that rally well ahead. at STPR he was something like 31s down in pgt but blew a gasket or something. he fit in the car just fine. he was telling me that the year before that he had a focus which he hated and he was much happier with his audi. he's a restaurant owner, eric's his name, and he was saying how he practices in nystate where he owns a couple hundred wooded acres.... weird how i remember all this after all these years of drinking......
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 27, 2006 09:03AM
New body Audi's suck for rally. The 27 different aluminum control arms and quite a few other things make for a no go. Brooks Frehill bought a road race one and converted it to a rally car and did Ramada Express in 2004. Lots, and lots of issues. Brian Moody has an A4 hill climb car with a 20V 2.3L I5 turbo motor in it. It's custom everything though, and the motor is still way far out to the front. His car previous to that though was a 90 2 door coupe with S2 body bits and a 20V turbo motor. Those are better for rally than the newer body styles. Just a warning though, diffs for any Audi are hard to find good ones and/or are super expensive. I consider building one every once in a while based upon our Audi/VW resources but always manage to convince myself otherwise thankfully.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login